Specific Turkey Tips and Tactics How to's from cooking turkeys to conditioning calls, this forum holds it all.

Thoughts on Working Birds

Old 02-19-2009, 05:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Thoughts on Working Birds

Very informative post.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:43 AM

Great Info!! Thanks Swamp!!!
Old 03-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

Fantastic Post! Swampcollie, I am 61 and hunted these birds for a long time. This is one of the bests posts I have ever read. On the How
To!
I can't hardly read a book artical any more. You are not a greedy man. Because if anyone reads this, and believes it, their will be LESS Turkeys for you and I.There is a guy on Primos.com named RedBeard who has some awsome tails of hunting. I look foward to reading yours this year.

Thanks again,

TF
Old 03-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Excellent post, very good stuff!
Old 03-12-2009, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great info Andy. Thanks man.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for theinfo, its nice to have a place to come for some advice/knowledge/wisdom/experience.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

I was going through some of my old notes and came across something a seasoned turkey hunter once taught me. It has come to be more than once, and hasasisted me in harvestingmy share of gobblers.

Gobblers, especially the old ones who have survived several seasons, and are carrying several ounces ofshot within,have a strange habit of just seeming to appear out of nowhere. To combat this, whenever I sit down to hunt, I always take a few moments while things are calming down to survey the area around me, and pick out objects that are colors red, white or blue. I memorize these, so that ifone of these colors happens to show up in an area not previuosly memorized, I know I've got a wily tom that has slipped in.

Gman
Old 03-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Swamp Collie,
I never read articles or books..and I'm an elementary teacher...BUT your article was really good..first long read I've read in quite a while.

I got my first turkey last year but didn't do so well today..After reading your article I figured I yelped too much..I have a question for you or anyother consistant hunters..If a gobbler has answered but stopped gobbling..How long should you wait before you leave the area?

Today was our first day in Florida.I was hunting Osceolas.

Thanks again Swamp Collie..I learned a ton.I especially like the leaf call and knowing I need to stop yelping so much..
Old 04-14-2009, 05:08 AM

Thanks for taking the time to post such great tips.

Don't forget about the easy to use push button yelper. I personally use this call to give a few softpurrs and soft clucks to seal the deal and bring then in. The push button yelper is so easy kids can use it effectively. Just make sure you get one with great sound quality.

Thanks again.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:00 PM

absolute great article. The last two years my birds have been shot by doing the scratches in the leaves and it works!! Now I cant remember how many times I scratch, but I will make sure I do your rythme next week.
Thanks again. Really appreciate it!!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Working Birds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.