Crossbows in Ky!!?? >

Crossbows in Ky!!??

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Crossbows in Ky!!??

Old 03-11-2005, 01:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default Crossbows in Ky!!??

In case you haven't heard, Ky's dept of fish and game have passed an ordinance where the use of crossbows are now allowed all archery season long. I've already vented in the "traditional bows" forum. So, whats your take? Man, its all about the green dollar isn't it??!![:@][:-]
Old 03-11-2005, 07:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Crossbows in Ky!!??

A lot of people are not physically able to pull and hold a longbow. Besides, I understand the range of a crossbow is actually a shorter range than that of a longbow. Crossbows have been around a lot longer than the compound bows. I don't really see what the fuss is about.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:22 AM

Oh boy the old lets whine about crossbows topic!!!!

Let's see in Arkansas where they are legal as archery equipment here are the numbers from the 2002 and 2003 deer seasons

Archery (you know good old bows) took 6934
crossbows took 2815
muzzleloaders 19515
modern gun 95187

In the 2003 -2004 seasons

archery 6232
crossbows 2946
muzzleloader 10992
modern gun 86965

Now did crossbow hunters really make that big of a dent in the population?

This information comes straight from the AG&F report on deer season summary available free to the public.

I think to stir this arguement even more among the selfish elite "bow" folks they should add 5 days to the crossbow season so it allows to them to hunt first before the "bow hunters" get out and mess them all up!!
Old 03-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wonder what the percentage is of old-fashion longbows compared to compound bows compared to crossbows...
Old 03-11-2005, 10:53 PM

I'm from KY as well. I heard about this. I really don't think it will make that big of a difference. The only population I see this helping are the aging bowhunting population. (Which, if that's the case, great, why be angry about somebody hanging on to the love of this sport--THAT we all should understand.) This would possibly provide an alternative for those who are getting up there in age, but still want to experience the joy of the season. I would imagine that even with this alternative available, the aging bowhunter would much rather hunt the way they used to. It's a matter of tradition. Crossbow hunting just doesn't have the appeal that bowhunting does. I know a guy that has been using a crossbow during regular bow season. He had surgery on his shoulder and can't use a regular bow anymore. He's never gotten his disabled license (because other than the shoulder, he's fine) so I guess that makes him illegal, but nobody says anything because they understand his situation. Anyway, he has mentioned at least once each time the conversation turns to bowhunting how much he wishes he could still use a compound. From conversation with other hunters I know, not one plans to go out and buy a crossbow. Most bowhunters I know don't view crossbows as an option, legal or not, mostly it seems because of tradition. I personally don't see this as something to be worried about. Time will tell I guess.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:46 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, there are folks that are not phyically able to pull a bow back, but there was already an ordinance in place for them to get a permit for a crossbow and I certainly have no problem with that. And for the record, I have no problem with those that choose to use crossbows, but there was already a crossbow season in two prime times of the year for deer.(pre-rut and post rut) I'm just worried that people that don't bowhunt, will run out and buy a crossbow because it may seem "easier" to them. To better explain my "fuss", I hunt on public land and during bowseason, the hunting pressure isn't too bad. The hunters that bowhunt where I do and I try to do our best to keep a mangagement practice going. But if my gut-feeling is true, there'll be alot more hunters in there taking anything thats "brown". But, I'll admit that only time will tell if my prediction is true.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:27 AM
Typical Buck

Mr rebel, I would have normally been glad to read your post and listen to what you had to say, but with your smartass comment about the "whining", I'll have to go another route. Its obvious that you post your opinion on everything around here, so I guess I have that same right. I'm just a hick from Ky, but I respect others opinions whether I agree or not. As for you giving me the numbers of whats happened in Arkansas with crossbows, I really couldn't care less. Thats Arkansas, this is Ky. You may have the same idiots we have that call themselves hunters, I don't know. But, I do know what kind of "hunters" we have here. If they see a way of taking more "brown", they'll jump all over it. If you've read my above reply to Mr timbercruiser, I'll not have to explain any further as to why I'm worried.
Now with that said, if you want to be civil and discuss this topic, I'll be glad to hear what you have to say. But if you have anymore smartass comments, I'll just be a man and turn the other cheek.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

i understand your frustration T/C fan i don't see why crossbows should be considered for archery season unless they are for the disabled.but this seems to be the trend they have already done this in GA and several other states if it weren't for the damage to the human population i believe Ga would make nukes legal the politicians here want them all dead.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:52 PM

ORIGINAL: T/C fan!

Mr rebel, I would have normally been glad to read your post and listen to what you had to say, but with your smartass comment about the "whining", I'll have to go another route. Its obvious that you post your opinion on everything around here, so I guess I have that same right. I'm just a hick from Ky, but I respect others opinions whether I agree or not. As for you giving me the numbers of whats happened in Arkansas with crossbows, I really couldn't care less. Thats Arkansas, this is Ky. You may have the same idiots we have that call themselves hunters, I don't know. But, I do know what kind of "hunters" we have here. If they see a way of taking more "brown", they'll jump all over it. If you've read my above reply to Mr timbercruiser, I'll not have to explain any further as to why I'm worried.
Now with that said, if you want to be civil and discuss this topic, I'll be glad to hear what you have to say. But if you have anymore smartass comments, I'll just be a man and turn the other cheek.
Yeah T/C i do think when it comes to the crossbow issue alot of whining goes on . i didnt single you out as you probably know for i went right over to the trad. archery and spoke my mind.
But hey thats what i do
Its obvious that you post your opinion on everything around here
My comment wasnt intended to be a smarta** it's just that this really fires me up!

Now i would bet your numbers in ky won't be that much different than arkansas. yeah some will try it and give up. cause it isn't as easy as some think.
and as far as the brown it's down hunters they will be there and do regardless of what weapon they have . just flash back to opening morning of the war. modern gun!

now i realizing how much you love my numbers i will give some more.

Per the same data kills by date

let's see on 10/1 (first day of archery season 562 deer were checked
10/2 376
10/3 326
10/4 548 and then it dwindles down until muzzleloader season. then on 10/18
a number of 4394 were checked.

and it goes down until the old "I'm a hunter guy" comes out.
On opening day of modern gun a whopping 18,222 deer are checked!
the second day 10,003
and by monday 5363.

the numbers go down from there .
I guess what i'm trying to say is we will always have those idiot hunters that just want to kill a deer. some are only in it for a weekend and to kill a deer. i really don't think crossbows are going change your seasons in ky. you probably won't be able to tell.
Hey T/C i don't know how ky is but i do now how arkansas is. this state has more than it's share of idiot hunters i have learn to just live with them. no i have to keep on keeping them away from my preserve.

Anyway not slamming you directly just speaking my mind as you have!
Old 03-12-2005, 08:08 PM

I dont think anybody is questioning the numbers, it probably will not make that big an impact. Hunt with a crossbow if you want in gun season, nobody will care. When it comes to bow season that will be different. The X bow is cocked like a gun, has a safety like a gun, has a sight like a gun, has a stock like a gun, has a trigger like a gun, see where we are going here. There is a device on the market that converts a 22 rifle to fire an arrow, is it a bow. The first gun was made to fire an arrow, was it a bow ? For the handicapped or infirm shoot what you want but not in bow season. If the X bow is difficult to become proficient with or not the preception is there that it is easier, will this tend to draw people who are interested in bowhunting or people who see it as just another way to get into the woods early. What is the quality of the hunter we will "gain" What will be the publics perception of the X bow. Will archery as a sport gain or just those who manufacture X bows. Some where the line will have to be drawn as to equipment. Who will say enough ? What is next, do we bring on the arrow shooting rifle and call it bow hunting.

Quick Reply: Crossbows in Ky!!??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.