Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Virginia Hunters please read >

Virginia Hunters please read

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Virginia Hunters please read

Old 02-24-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Virginia Hunters please read

I sent the below letter to my state senator Ken Stolle. I'm hoping some of you will also do the same.

The next task I would like for you to undertake as one of my representatives in Richmond is the repeal of the Sunday hunting ban. I am aware of the history of other attempts to make this happen for Virginia Hunters.

Currently there is no ban on fishing in the commonwealth on Sunday. Why should that be the case when hunters cannot enjoy their pursuits on Sunday? I am not saying anything bad about fishing but there does seem to be a double standard.

Reasons given in the past not to lift the ban have been fear of over harvest. But, recent regulation changes have increased the number of tags issued east of the Blue Ridge. This would seem to contradict the idea that the Deer herd in Virginia is in peril at all. Even if over harvest was an issue the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries could reduce the number of tags issued per hunter quite easily. Even bear hunting has been opened in counties where it has been closed for a long time. This leads me to believe that population is also doing well in the commonwealth.

Since many outdoorsmen work a lot of overtime and own their own businesses they only have one day off to hunt. For me its Sunday. It seems unfair to make the most productive and responsible citizens in the Commonwealth suffer for their productivity and contribution to society.

Previous reasons for not lifting the ban have also included "keeping the Sabbath holy." I won't go into the role I think religion should play in government. I will suffice it to say that I would rather be in the woods hunting and thinking about God than in church thinking about hunting.

The constitution of Virginia gives us the right to hunt, trap and fish. Are we to believe that these rights only exist Monday through Saturday? What if the Bill of Rights only applied 6 days a week?

Thank You for your time and attention to my concerns.
Chris Nicklin
Old 02-24-2005, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Virginia Hunters please read

PhoenixMA,

I appreciate your concerns, like we all do. Sunday hunting is a sore spot for many of us and has always been shot down in flames by the "powers that be" for years and years and years. It has been in existence since probably 1873 and is the ancient, archaic, "Blue Law".

Trying to abolish the ban on Sunday hunting would be like pulling hens teeth. Every year it gets brought up, and even got a huge petition signed. Next I heard, someone was wondering about ACLU involvement, but as you know they are way too liberal and don't get into hunting, so they most likely will not help anyway.

The only thing I can say is for all us to keep on pushing for Sunday hunting and someday, somehow, it might be allowed (even if just sunrise to 12:00 noon).

Butch A.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

I applaud your effort to get the ban lifted. I usually send a letter or email to my state reps before the beginning of the session to express my views on the ban. Last year I actually got a reply back from my delegate's aide. He told me that the delegate would do whatever was suggested by the game department. I have my doubts that the letters ever really reached the delegate. I would suggest that you call and have Mr. Stolle return your call.

My hunting buddy was eating dinner one night during hunting season in a local restaurant. The area delegate came over and started to talk with my camo-dressed buddy about hunting. He told my friend that he didn't know much about deer hunting and really didn't know anything about the bills up for vote this year. I feel that most of the delegates are probably as ignorant to most game issues. This same guy just voted for a bill and admitted in the paper he didn't know it would shut down most area shooting ranges. I have decided that I'm going to offer my service to advise him on all hunting or shooting related bills. Also, you may want to think about attending the up coming meetings being held by the VDGIF. The first on will be on March 24th in Richmond. If enough squeaky wheels start making some noise than some changes may happen. So, get your buddies together and make some noise.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:37 AM
Typical Buck

I KNOW I am in the minority here, but I feel that not allowing sunday hunting is NOT a big deal. I do alot of hunting during the week, and rarely on the weekend due to the amount of people in the woods. I do hunt on saturdays though. I look forward to sundays as a day of football, not of hunting. I have been a long time believer that the big and small game could use a bit of rest as well. Not a pro sunday hunter. leave well enough alone. fishing (for whatever reason) is another story for me, don't know why.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:54 PM
Spike

I am all for Sunday hunting. Hunting license sales fall every year in Virginia, and I think lack of time is one reason. As hunting becomes more expensive and a bigger hassle (anyone bought a new bow or gun lately, or tried to find a new place to hunt?), we should create more incentives to hunt where we can. As the number of hunters drops and the average age increases, the number of anti-hunters increases and we don't need that.

With all due respect, hoyt3, I don't buy the theory that game needs a day of rest. The no Sunday hunting law is a blue law left over from colonial days, to get people to go to church. If a day of rest for game was a necessity or helped the quality of hunting, every state would ban hunting on one day or another.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know about you guys but most of the places that I hunt only get hunted on the weekend. The deer get a break monday thru friday. Maybe the first and last week of the season they get hit harder. The weekend is the only time us working folk get to hit the woods.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do the fish ever get a break? I do not buy the argument that the game needs a break....if a person wants to hunt Sundays than he or she should be able to do so.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: hoyt3

I I do alot of hunting during the week, and rarely on the weekend due to the amount of people in the woods.

leave well enough alone. fishing (for whatever reason) is another story for me, don't know why.
Many of us dont have teh luxury of hunting mid-week.

What I was hoping to do with this thread is to get more VA hunters to at least write their delagates and state senators and let them know how we feel. I need you all to help since none of my friends in VA hunt. So the body ot mobilize is the folks on this board.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:58 AM
Spike

I'v been signed up for Sunday Hunting since it was first mentioned.

I contacted my representatives last year, the goofballs !! Perhaps we have a "window of opertunity" this year, since the Legislators and the Govenor pulled the "boner" bout when they tried to straighten up the Sunday work law last Summer / Fall, only to totally mess it up and have to repeal what they did !!

If we have to work when asked on Sunday, don't see no reason we can't be hunting as well !!

99er
Old 03-20-2005, 03:39 PM
Spike

Hoyt3 if you dont want to hunt on weekends thats fine.I wont stand in your way to hunt during the week and I wish you much success.I would ask you however to not stand in others way to hunt on sunday.That goes for any others that dont care to hunt sundays in the Commonwealth of Virginia.Please dont stand in the way of those that would like to hunt sundays.

Quick Reply: Virginia Hunters please read

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.