Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Va group hog hunt what do you think? >

Va group hog hunt what do you think?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Va group hog hunt what do you think?

Old 01-10-2005, 06:53 PM

Default RE: Va group hog hunt what do you think?

When are you guys looking to do this? I was looking to do this in about march thru may. I looked at a couple of places in including Willis River. I'll also be going to the Harrisburg show to look for more outfits.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

Rem I see we are on about the same tiem line.. I was thinking the time frame of March or April... time to get a few dollars aside but yet get in the woods again before it gets too hot!
Old 01-11-2005, 05:32 AM
Typical Buck

Justin
I'd be interested for March or April

Contact me @

[email protected]
703-768-1642
Old 01-11-2005, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

i could possibly do this hunt if it were on a saturday or sunday. i hunted at willis river in 1993 and took 2 hogs w/ my bow. they were located in cumberland county. im not sure if thats where they are at today. about 10 of us from nova went there. also, i would encourage everybody to use either a bow or handgun to make it more challenging. we had 1 guy use a 7mm rifle and he regretted it.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

Hogggggggggg SueeeeeeeeeWeeeeeeeeeee

Justin, you know not to leave me out of a hog pen! Besides I get emails from Willis all the time.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:45 AM

Is this place fenced in??....If so Im not interested. ...Also if it is becareful if youre going there for a meat hog..I ate one off a preserve one time that a buddy of mine killed. Tasted more like hog S%^T!!!....I was told its because they feed them all these scraps from resteraunts. If its not fenced in Im game!!....Ive never hunted in Virginia <NC is the farthest north Ive been able to track em without them being fenced in. Keep me posted. Anyone wanting to go south and hunt them I know some great outfitters with great lodges. Just email me @ [email protected] anytime.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

It is fenced, Not a very big place and the hogs range from mixed feral/Russian to almost full Russian. The owner Danny Henshaw is a great guy and I have taken 4 hogs there in 2 years.all together we have taken 10 We go down from stafford, about a 2 1/2 hour ride, and hunt them with bows only. We have shot every hunt on video. Danny is a great guy and has hunted all over for " The Quest" video series and was a "real guide" for years.
It is what it is, we were there in Sept and saw well over 150 hogs.
The fence is there and can be seen from almost every stand.Don't think the pigs are stupid though, It is primarly grown up clear cut with just a few,very few, tall trees. Spot and stalk is no joke, they know your there and don't make it easy, stand hunting... easy kill. I would suggest that you wait and take a good one, as you will see many, I will say this, hunt near the feeder stand, the sows come to it non stop through out the day , they, nor the boar can get to the feeder but the sows babies can and some of those sows will hang together and may be in heat and the boar will just show up. If you want a good boar, wait till almost dark, the big Boar tend to come out then, you will see boar almost all day but boar you never saw will show up right before dark to check for "hot sows".Watch out for sows with young, we learned the hard way this past sept. They get real mean.
I shot a 220 lbs. strong Russian and then a 150 lbs feral sow. My buddy shot a hog that was a feral and weighed about 250+. I am planning to go in March also. I actually think the meat is awesome and so does everybody that has eaten it.

PS. One other suggestion, try to go in March, I have been in April and all that young vegitation from the clear cut starts getting real green, it makes finding the pigs very difficult for bow hunters stalking, and usually your busted long before you get a shot oppertunity, Although you can stand hunt and try to see them bed up in the thick brush and then try to stalk.
I would like to know when you guys decide to go as I am up for it and would love to video our hunt then edit and burn to DVD's. Maybe it is something some of could do anually.
I will be going to Ga for a week for hog hunting in March also as we do every year now for the past 6 years. A really good friend of mine is the Biologist at Ft. Stewart in the Savannah area and it costs almsot nothing to hunt them there on the 240,000 acre Army base.

Willis River is no longer in Cumberland, It is just outside of Lynchburg in Gladwell?? I don't remember the town name.