Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Thoughts on Sunday hunting bans >

Thoughts on Sunday hunting bans

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Thoughts on Sunday hunting bans

Old 01-07-2005, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Thoughts on Sunday hunting bans

Are we not free to practice the religion of our choice? My religon say's I can hunt everyday as the woods is my temple and I should visit often.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:27 PM

my thoughts exactly

MONTANA BOB FOR VIRGINIA MAYOR
Old 01-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

i tell you what, if i posted what i thought about banning hunting on sundays, well, i probably would have have to go to church this sunday and ask for forgiveness because of all the foul language that would come out of my fingertips. i have hear the side that says that you shouldn't have sunday hunting because it gives the landowner/farmer soome peace and quiet. well damn, if i have to work 5-6 days a week, and most everyone else that i know does the same, when am i going to have time to bother anyone in the middle of the week? sorry, that dog won't hunt. they need a different sobstory for me. hey VA, still haven't had a chance to take those pics, will try this weekend. coming from a guy that couldn't hunt sundays in maine, i am surprised you aren't used to it by now, lol. when i went bear hunting this past season in maine, my friend had a 300lb bear coming in. because i only had the long holiday weekend to hunt, i had to wack the first bear i saw instead of trying to wait out the larger one. if i had had sunday to hunt, who knows what could of happened, but at least i didn't go home empty handed.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:34 PM

if they wanted a day to relax then hell id give up a wednesday for a sunday any day. i just think the weekends should be opened to hunt. it does suck. oh and no sweat just let me know im in no rush for the pics but cant wait to see them.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Add North Carolina to the list of non hunting Sunday states. Seems like there are 10 states that ban Sunday hunting. I do not agree with the ban and I also do not think we will see Sunday hunting in VA anytime soon. Hopefully the legislators will prove me wrong. Seems like one of the bills from last year, to allow Sunday hunting, was tabled and passed on to 2005.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:46 PM

As a pastor of a country church in GA, I have no problem with Sunday Hunting. I hunt on Sunday afternoons after I preach. It is a great way for me to think about the upcoming week. As a pastor, no two days are ever the same, so I cherrish the opportunity to get out.

I do see a problem for some of the wives of my congregation however. Often the wives become "single" during deer season with regards to attending worship. At times I have mentioned to the men who miss church too often they need to check their priorities. They seem to always understand.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:57 PM

isnt church a place to worship god built by man? then why cant he be worshiped in his house. the land he created, enjoying the game he provided. believing in god doesnt mean you are any less or any greater of a believer if you go to church every sunday or not. believing in him and accepting him in your life is the important thing. again i go back to the fact that we are allowed to hunt on his most sacred days like christmas. and its ok to fish on sundays. i just dont see where religion should be a factor in hunting on sunday. id like to hear a better reason why we cant hunt on sundays?
Old 01-08-2005, 03:15 PM

Yes, Church is an institution that has had a great deal of input from humankind, but Church has been ordained by God as an essential asspect of Christian Fellowship and Worship. The importance of Worship, no matter if it is on Sunday or any other day of the week, has to do with the gathering of God's people from different walks of life, no matter what background or station in life, and worshipping the Lord together.

I often hear, that one is able to worship God in the woods. While I agree in part, I cannot fully accept this statement. More often than not, this type of statment has to do with how we spend our time. No one likes to have somone else tell us what to do on our day off. When dealing with the couples of the churches I have served, the husband spends more time in the woods on his days off and less time with his family. I have no problem with hunting on Sundays if one's priorities are in line:
PRIORITY ONE: One's relationship with the Lord.
PRIORITY TWO: One's relationship with his/her family.
PRIORIRY THREE: One's own health, both mentally and physically.

Most men who hunt or play golf, etc. should take a moment to ask their spouse if they hunt too much. Many of us, including me do not want to hear the answer.

For a man not to ever hunt would be sad, but for a man to never worship the Lord with the company of others is even worse.

However, the real/original question has to do with the legislation of "Non-Hunting" Sundays. This type of law is law from a day long since gone in the south. At a time when "Blue Laws" were in place, no business were open on Wed. afternoon or on Sunday. These "Blue Laws" were put in place by those conservitive Christians who believe nothing should take importance over church. Luckly for all of us, this is not the case today. As for legislating "Non-Hunting" Sundays. I am for the seperation of Church and State. I would hate for someone of a different religion tell me I could not hunt because they find a deer, turkey, or a duck to be a holy animal.

As for me, the final day of deer season in GA is tomorrow and after church is finished and I have enjoyed my Sunday lunch, I will be close to 30 feet up a tree in my summit climbing stand hoping for the big one to walk out.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

doesn't matter to me either way...

I'm just hoping VA does something about the use of dogs, it completely ruined my firearms season
Old 01-08-2005, 03:20 PM

I AGREE, most of the time the dogs just mess it all up and it is a lot of noise we can do without!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Sunday hunting bans

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.