Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Crossbows in VA >

Crossbows in VA

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Crossbows in VA

Old 01-06-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Crossbows in VA

Anyone have an opinion on crossbows in VA. Right now you have to be disabeld to use them, but their is talk of making them legal in the near future. Just trying to start a new discussion.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crossbows in VA

We allow them in Arkansas. Although I have never used one, I see nothing but positives associated with the use of them. It will inevitably get more people involved in archery which will give more money to the game and fish for law enforcement and habitat restoration. It will increase sporting good sales in your area as well as gas and motel and other things that the new hunters will spend their money on. It will give you more hunters in the field and therefore more voice in the public. The woods will have a few more people but I sincerely doubt you will be able to tell the difference. JMO
Old 01-06-2005, 12:56 PM

here in va there is always so much debate on issues like this like the issue with inline muzzleloader and the crossbow is the equivelent to the inline of bows as far as im concerned. im sure you will have your people on both sides of the fence on this one and i dont think personally that there is nothing wrong with them being used as a weapon during general firearms season but i think during bow season it should stay the conventional means of bow hunting. the whole reason for bow hunting is the challenge and that is also the reason that does are able to be taken in all counties. now if you institute open crossbow hunting then there will be alot more deer taken and they would probablly limit the does or do it like rifle season in alot of counties where you can only take does on certain days. i love to bow hunt for the fact of the challenge of the hunt and there is really not as much challenge with a crossbow as with the compound and straight bows. also if you have crossbows being able to sling arrows 5 times the distance then traditional style bows then the use of orange during bow season would probablly be a debate and general safety. im all for it as far as a general firearm is concerned but not during the october bow season.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: VA HEAD HUNTER

also if you have crossbows being able to sling arrows 5 times the distance then traditional style bows then the use of orange during bow season would probablly be a debate and general safety. im all for it as far as a general firearm is concerned but not during the october bow season.

i dont think that cross bows will give you 5x the distance of a compound.
maybee an extra 10 yards.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

now if you institute open crossbow hunting then there will be alot more deer taken and they would probablly limit the does or do it like rifle season in alot of counties where you can only take does on certain days
That's a pretty common misconception. But here is the numbers from Arkansas where it has been legal for years.
These numbers are total deer kills.

Archery 6,232
Crossbow 2,946
Muzzleloader 10,992
Modern Gun 86,965

As you can see the crossbow numbers are by far the smallest number of kills. Our state has had a long time to build up it's crossbow following. Those kind of numbers aren't going to affect your state's deer herd.

i love to bow hunt for the fact of the challenge of the hunt and there is really not as much challenge with a crossbow as with the compound and straight bows.
But shouldn't people have the option to decide for themselves what is challenging to them. What about the kids and the small framed woman that don't bowhunt because they can't draw a bow. Should they be excluded because you don't think it's enough of a challenge? I just don't that's being very fare. If they start trying to ban hunting in your state will you wish you had those extra faces on your side? Or in the sense or fairness since the bow hunters don't want to share how about making 3 seperate seasons and splitting up the time available. 1 for traditional, 1 for compound, and 1 for crossbow? They deserve to be able to hunt just like everyone else. Don't they?

also if you have crossbows being able to sling arrows 5 times the distance then traditional style bows then the use of orange during bow season would probablly be a debate and general safety.
That's another misconception but a crossbow won't shoot any farther or any harder than a modern compound. As a matter of fact I challenge you to find a crossbow that will shoot an arrow, as heavy as the one I shoot, as fast as my compound will at 70 lbs.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:36 PM

ok well all excellent points. what i meant by the statement of kiiling more deer etc was my thought on what the oppositions arguments would be i didnt mean it to sound i was stating fact also i dont think a hunting ban is in question considering the right to harvest game and fish is in virginias state constitution as our right.

Constitution of Virginia
Article XI - Conservation

Section 4. Right of the people to hunt, fish, and harvest game.

The people have a right to hunt, fish, and harvest game, subject to such regulations and restrictions as the General Assembly may prescribe by general law.

The amendment ratified November 7, 2000 and effective January 1, 2001—Added a new section (4).

but i do agree that it would help those who cant draw a bow. the original post was about oppinions on the matter and as for my oppinion i think bow season should stay the way it is. now as far as power of the crossbow i have seen and used some pretty nasy crossbows and there are ways to get alittle more range out of them and shoot harder etc. but when the argument was brought up a few years ago in the state about inline muzzleloaders they almost put a stop to them because they were not a "traditional muzzleloader". and thats not me saying this that is what was argued within the state. all im saying is with all the pressure and opposition on the subject of hunting in va now i really dont see them allowing any different measures to do so. i wish it wasnt like that but it is. now as far as seeing more and more people getting into the sport if you have read any of my other posts on other topics you will plainly see that i am all for our youths and newcomers to the sport and i think it is of grave importance to see that we get as many people into it as possible. and you said killing more deer is a misconseption but by your numbers by having crossbows legal there are 50% of the deer killed with bows so the numbers are affected. but like i said i just gave my oppinion of what i believe and my oppinion of what the opposition would say.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

VA,

Like I said, I don't even hunt with a crossbow. I was just trying to point out some of the other sides to the story. I don't think they are the same as archery tackle, I just think we ought to do anything we can to get as many people as possible involved in the sport as possbile. I totally understanding your reservations and your point of view. All I would ever ask is that you would give the things I pointed out some consideration before deciding.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:04 AM

oh i do honor your points and i agree with most of them. the people who are getting into the sport now and in the future are going to be the ones keeping it going and i would love to see anyone that wants to hunt get in the woods and experience it. i think it is important to introduce as many people as possible to it when given the chance. and i do see all your points as being valid even if i dont agree with all of them.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:42 AM

I got no problem with folks using a crossbow regardless of disability. But, what I would really like to see happen first is to lift the Sunday hunting ban. Sunday is my only day off! It goes on the ballot avery few years and gets shot down every time.[&o]
Old 01-07-2005, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got no problem with folks using a crossbow regardless of disability. But, what I would really like to see happen first is to lift the Sunday hunting ban. Sunday is my only day off! It goes on the ballot avery few years and gets shot down every time
See that's another thing I don't agree with. I go to chuch most every Sunday morning even during hunting season. Mostly because I can hunt in the evening during the early season and normally kill a few deer early to take the pressure off. But, I just don't think it is my right (or anyone elses) to tell someone else they can't hunt because I think they ought to be at church, which I am assuming is the reason for the Sunday hunting ban.

Quick Reply: Crossbows in VA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.