HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   alabama turkey hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/84484-alabama-turkey-hunters.html)

one on one 12-30-2004 03:30 AM

alabama turkey hunters

how do you like getting to use decoys now, i'm a big turkey hunter, but not for sure i'll use them. guess if i start out with a bad season i'll probably try them to see how they work.

DHF:KYLEN 01-02-2005 04:16 PM

RE: alabama turkey hunters

:D
Not from Alabama, ( extreme southern Florida), but I do hunt in the "Roll Tide" state for turkeys. I'm glad to see that you all now "can" use decoys if you whish. I have had to leave mine at home last year.[:@]

But, to tell the truth, with or without them I still love hunting turkeys. IMHO, they do add a small advantage than hunting without them. I say this becuase I thought that you always needed them. That was until I hunted with a master turkey caller who never used them and never seen a reason too. To his credit, his calling was so good I see why.

I've used them as a focal point and as a marker for distance, etc. And as an addition to my "attempts" at calling. Have really gotten away form using the "tom" decoy, as it hasn't worked well this far south. Hen's have worked out good for me.

Good luck this year.

savedbygrace 01-03-2005 01:50 PM

I'm from AL. (Roll Tide!), but I dought I will use dec's. I've hunted without them for the past 13 years and harvested several birds, so no use in changing. I may use them if I'm hunting in fields, but I don't know yet.

Rem1100 01-04-2005 02:53 PM

ORIGINAL: savedbygrace

I've hunted without them for the past 13 years and harvested several birds, so no use in changing.
I feel the same way after 20 years.....

alabama_creek_water 01-17-2005 03:11 PM

I am not real big on them. I would rather do it the old fashion way and just try to call them up without any assistance from decoys. More challenging that way anyway.

AlabamaDan 01-20-2005 07:44 PM

Hey one on one! Where do you go turkey hunting? I've got a brand new shotgun just dying to take me on my first turkey hunt?

MaverickAU 01-21-2005 01:23 AM

theres a good bit of turkey in moulton
Dont know if your around there alabamadan
but thats where i'm somewhat close to
and i knwo that theres good turkey hunting
over there

Gobbling Buck 01-24-2005 04:03 AM

I'll be getting some dekes, but I don't know how often I'll be using them. I guess it'll depend on ease of set up and how much trouble they are to transport. Most likely they will only be used on well planned hunts, not on run and gun hunts. Looking forward to having them for some afternoon set ups though.