Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

what to do?

Old 12-17-2004, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default what to do?

have a question here. I hunted in a small food plot this evening and had some bad luck. I was there by 3:30 and about 15 min before dark I hear deer moving behind me. I waited patiently and they just kept on walking aorund in the small hardwood bottom. then I hearda heavier deer walking and it walked right behind my stand in the bottom. then it walked around in the bottom untill dark. well right at dark it wlked to the edge of the food plot. I could hear him walking 20 yards from me. Well he then waited at the edge untill it was very dark. I could not see through the scope anymore. It then walked out about 10 yards into the food plot. I twisted just a liitle to get a better look at him "clear night good moonlight" and my ankle cracked. When this happend he looked straight at my position and I could make out a rack, not sure how big or anything but I could see the white on his horns. Well he looked for aobut 30sec and then took off back inot the woods.

I had planned allweek to hunt in a certain spot tomm, and was wondering If I should go back to the food plot in the morning or would it be a waste of time and should I just go o the other spot I had picked out >?

There is a FRESH scrape aobut 100 yards from the food plot that had been check earlier in the day or the night before so I am kinda torn on what to do..... any help would be great...

Drew
Old 01-02-2005, 03:28 PM

Default RE: what to do?

if you saw the deer at night go back at night
Old 01-02-2005, 05:34 PM

That deer wont make you out if it was very dark. Id go back, but if u got more good land hunt it
Old 01-02-2005, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

thanx for the help guys....
Old 01-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Long as he didn't wind you he should just think the noise was another animal or bird and not be spooked. I would probably wait a few days before I hunted that spot anyway.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:28 PM

id switch hunting spots like hunt on the other side of the feild just to change things up a little bit.But thats just me.Try using scent blocker if you think he caught wind of you.Or build a brush blind.I doubt if it was as dark as you say it is he saw you just hunt that area hard for a little while and then lay off of it for a while.