Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 The scent of Vanilla >

The scent of Vanilla

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

The scent of Vanilla

Old 12-30-2004, 11:30 PM

Default RE: The scent of Vanilla

thats good i think baiting takes the sport out of it. i just dont see the fun in it but thats just me i guess.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

Also keep in mind that bears are attracted to vanilla.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:01 PM

i have never even heard of using it. I wonder if it would work down here in texas?
Old 01-11-2005, 06:35 PM

Ever heard of a brand of scent cover called "Cover Up". Thats what it smell like! As well I"ve been out and didn't have any cover scent, hijacked some of my wifes vanilla extract. My son thought I was crazy! I poured some on the ground, we rubbed our boots in it, then walked ot the stand. Then poured a little there. Within bout 30 minutes, here they came....I wont say that it did it, but the deer didn't seem to care!
Old 01-11-2005, 07:47 PM

I also believe that scentlok is the best.All of the outdoor shows promote several scents,but they need the sponsors money.Of course the various deer farms they hunt on probably scents do not matter.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:17 PM

When i was just a young buck i put some vanilla on my shoes and was sitting on a stump overlooking a trail, a big cow elk came along and stopped and sniffed my shoes, never spooked, and just walked off. It was great to see a huge elk so close as i was hunting by myself at 16years old at the time. I say it is a good cover scent, but like everyone else says, it will attract bears...
Old 01-20-2005, 07:42 PM

I've never used cover scent at all. In fact until this year I never did much of anything other than hunt. This year I've tried really hard to wash my clothes in that scent free detergent from WalMart, no fabric softner, then straight to really large garbage bag that I tied up.

After the first day of hunting, I did drop in some of those scent discs from WalMart that smell like a dirt. Dropped them right into the bag with the clothes and sealed it back up. Smelled just like dirt, but it stopped smelling so strong after just about 10 mins.

I've seen less deer this year with more hunting than previous years.

Sad.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:30 PM

I did use some cover scent this year! Last weekend we killed a buck very early, right at sunrise. Some of us hadn't even gone out yet (late night before and a full moon,) so we carefully gutted the buck before going out and his bladder was full. We all spread this on our boots before we set out.

Didn't see anything all weekend, but I blame that more on the full moon than the cover scent.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Vanilla will work to stop the deer,I don't use it as a cover scent any more.I do like to pour it on the ground where I want the deer to stop.