Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Va... Season is almost here.!!!! >

Va... Season is almost here.!!!!

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Va... Season is almost here.!!!!

Old 09-27-2004, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Va... Season is almost here.!!!!

"TTT" again...

Hey guys, here's an idea: If we can't find a private land lease, or club, or anything, we could look into the state forests and sort of, make our own hunt club that just uses public land.

Here's the URL to Cumberland State Forest. This shows everything you want to know, including a detailed map of the forest.

http://www.dof.virginia.gov/stforest/index-csf.shtml

Click on MAP under the "Hours of Operation" section, and it will open up a .jpg image of the whole state forest. All the "/////" diagonal line sections are where you can hunt. Everything else is either people's homes and their land, or private hunt club land. Oh yeah, if you venture into Bear Creek Lake State Park, be careful... It's a public park, campground, etc... and totally OFF LIMITS, if you know what I mean. [:-]

Butch A.

Edit: I just checked.... You CAN rifle hunt in Cumberland. You have to be "minimum 10 feet elevated in a tree stand or natural blind". [8D]
Old 09-27-2004, 11:37 AM

Hey VA guys, I'm a lawyer from Mass but every year I try to attend a seminar in D.C just so I can hunt a day or two at MCB Quantico. I went to Basic School there in the late '80's and for those that have problems with access, this place is great. For example, even though back home I walk to my stands out my back door to 1400 acres of state land and a large private conservation area in one of the burbs around Boston with very little hunting pressure, I am willing to take a few days to hunt at the MCB. Like most bases, the training area is crisscrossed with tank trails and other roads and there are plenty of firebreaks and LZs all of which provide habitat and forage; periodically, the base does control burns which allows much fairly good silent movement. Thus, still hunting, although still extremely challenging, is fairly possible with a bow. The last time I visited, I landed at noon rented my car and headed for the base in the middle of a noreaster which ended just as I was driving out to my assigned area (wich itself had to have been at least 1500 acres). I spent the next two hours still hunting the edge of an LZ and playing hide and seek from over 30 deer, one of which was the biggest buck I had ever seen. Even though I did not fill my tag that day, and the following week back home I had my first buck with a bow, I remember it as one of the exciting days of hunting I have ever had.

To hunt, you have to sit through a class to get your license, I believe the class runs every day during season at zero dark-thirty. I understand that the weekends can be crowded and hunters are assigned priority based on military status. Looking forward to this going this October again
Old 09-27-2004, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

Jay,

Some of us already Hunt it...lol welcome and come on down.

Butch you said RIFLE~ well you just need to find us all a spot!! Don't ask ?'s..lmao
Old 09-28-2004, 05:39 AM
Spike

I'm all dressed up with no place to go [&o] I moved back to VA early last year and have to wait until next year to get back in my old hunt club. Here in Gloucester, VA, there is nowhere you can hunt unless you are in a hunt club or have access to private land. I'm so depressed as I was looking forward to bowhunting and the regular gun season this year. I was sorry to see that while I was living in upstate NY for the previous 6 yrs, the paper company (Chesapeake Corp) that owned most of the land around here sold out and the new owners won't allow hunting. This is gonna be a real downer this year.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome back to VA, Crowpecker....

I understand exactly where you're coming from. Private land is a hard commodity these days. If you read through our VA threads, you'll see where we were/are still trying to get a group together and obtain some land. It's tough - real tough! [:-]

There are a bunch of us scattered all over VA too... You might find someone on this board who is east of I-95, down around Newport News, Gloucester, Hampton Roads, areas... You never know. Good luck!

Butch A.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:03 PM
Spike

Crowpecker, A.P. Hill is only 1 hr from you. 35,000 huntable acres at your fingertips. A hunter safety card and $40 is all it takes. I love it up there. It is an hour from me too. Give it a try. Lots of deer.

Dayton
Old 09-28-2004, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

OK guys I have a chioce to make and it sucks sorta... I have been drawn to go to the Hog Island WMA archery hunt Oct 2 through 6.

My hang up is this.... I well me and Dave have scouted some pretty awsome areas on Qauntico that I wanted to try on Sat mornign and I have a small private place I go that has some excellent evening potential...

I do not know a thing about Hog Island or what size or amount of deer they kill over there.. I am torn between going out there or seeing if I can give up my first day of hunting and start out there on monday and hunt around here on Sat??

Anyone know anything about the area out there on the shore?????
Old 09-28-2004, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Is the Powhatan WMA a good place for Varmint hunting? Coons mostly. I like the small game hunts and like to camp the night before so you get that early start and pot of coffee. I am new to hunting in this area and Live in Midlothian. Do they let you shoot a 223 for varmint?
Old 09-28-2004, 08:06 PM

Hey Guys,

I work and hunt in VA... You guys looking for land.. I saw in the Newspaper.. 240 acres for 1,200.. Bow Hunting Rights.. Southhampton County I believe is where its at... If you want I will look for it and get ya a number...
Old 09-28-2004, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: eng40sqd
I do not know a thing about Hog Island or what size or amount of deer they kill over there..

Anyone know anything about the area out there on the shore?????
Eng... BRING BUG SPRAY!!!!! [][&:] I know a few duck hunters that go down to Hog Island and stuff.... Bugs are so bad, they will pick you up and fly away with you!! Bring waders or deep rubber boots too. Good luck!

Butch

Quick Reply: Va... Season is almost here.!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.