Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 how to find a decent priced, "quality" deer lease in Tx >

how to find a decent priced, "quality" deer lease in Tx

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

how to find a decent priced, "quality" deer lease in Tx

Old 09-06-2004, 07:14 PM

Default how to find a decent priced, "quality" deer lease in Tx

I'm glad I found these forums, as I've learned alot just looking through them over the weekend. I found this regional one, and had a question for my first post. I apologize the length, but thought I'd get a take on everyone's opinion.

I started looking for a lease a tad late, which is fine, more education for looking next season. I've been out of hunting a few years due to graduate school, and now all I can find is $1000- $1500 leases, and some of those are season only leases and not annual. My last lease was in Young county for $500 a year. Decent deer numbers, smallish bucks, but turkey and hogs. Alas, I've lost contact with the man that ran that lease, so I'm not sure how to find that one again. Has lease prices jumped that high in three years?

Can anyone give me some advice on how to find a lease that combines decent price with quality game? I've been using online resources and the local papers, and I'm not sure how exactly to go out and 'beat the bushes'. Do i just contact farmers, etc? I suppose what I'm saying is I don't mind paying $1500 for a annual lease if the quality is there in game types, numbers, size, etc. I hear of $600 leases, but I'm not sure the type of deer that hunters are seeing. What should I do or be prepared to pay?

I'm in Wichita County, and looking for a lease in Clay or Archer, due to driving, economics, etc. Any suggestions for next spring appreciated.

Ken B
Wichita Falls
Old 09-07-2004, 11:07 AM

Default RE: how to find a decent priced, "quality" deer lease in Tx

Wow, tough question. I've heard from a few guys at work that leases that were $500 a couple of years ago are now $1000+.

I'm new to deer hunting, and I'm going the day-lease route. There's one not too far from you, www.craftongameranch.com.

You might also look into these sites...nothing very cheap, though:
http://rangercreekranch.com/
http://www.raggedycreekranch.com/packages.htm
http://www.stanfieldhunting.com/deerhunting.htm

Other than that, I think you're just going to have to explore around. I've seen some decent ads in "Thrifty Nickel" type adpapers; you might get lucky that way. Or try asking around in local gun stores, pawnshops, etc.?

Good luck...
Old 09-07-2004, 05:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

$1,000 to $1,500 leases sounds about right to me.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:27 AM

Hate to say it but with what little I know I thought a lease in the 1000/1500 range in my area is a pretty good deal. You may find a $500 lease but what game will be around. . .a few spikes and a skinny doe or 2. I have always felt you get what you pay for. If you find one that seems to good to be true when comapred to others around you may end up regretting that one later. Try to find one via your social circles. It took me 2 years here in Texas but now I am really happy with where I hunt.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:43 AM

You've got your work cut out for you if you're sticking to the 500 dollar price range. Any lease I've found with decent hunting opportunities is between 1000-2000 dollars.

Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:09 PM

alright then, I just wanted a few opininons. I think I might just day hunt or package hunt once or twice this season, and bank my money for next year and stay in the $1000-$1500 range.

I didn't know if I was just stumbling on overpriced ones or that was more the norm. If it's the norm I'll get ready to pay next season

I appreciate the responses.

Ken B
Old 09-08-2004, 11:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ours is leased by the acre, $7 to $10 depending on the place. On a 320, we allow 2 to 3 hunters. I know of a bunch of others around here that lease, and they are all in the $1,000 to $1,500 range or more. These are the good places. A few can be found cheaper, but I wouldn't want them. We have had our prices at this range for three years now.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:26 PM

The way I have found some good places to hunt was to go to the local feed stores and ask them if there any ranchers or farmers looking for hunters... Also in some of the smaller towns you can call the chamber of comerce...Just find where the older crowd hangs out like DQ's and ask...They don't bite..
Old 09-09-2004, 05:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Many counties have formed wildlife managment associations. I know Throckmorton and Young counties have one, pretty sure most others do to.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:01 PM

well, I took all the advice and beat the bushes. Found a lease some gentlemen from Dallas left this spring. 120 acres for $1000. I didn't think that was bad since I got the place to myself, or I can split with another hunter half and half.
Really thick on one side, thins out on another. Two tanks with water, lots of sign. There at first light and heard turkeys off in the distance.

18 acres are plowed up for wheat once it rains, and another 20 or so is brushhogged old wheat.

Neat overhang and you can see the whole place.

glad i asked for advice, appreciate it all

KEN B

Quick Reply: how to find a decent priced, "quality" deer lease in Tx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.