HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   va-game checkin on line? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/69148-va-game-checkin-line.html)

cruiser 08-15-2004 06:49 AM

va-game checkin on line?

just got my license (boy, there gettin cheap on the big game tags) starting this year, we can check in game on line or over the phone. sounds like a crock to me! how are we going to stop poaching, or keep an acurate eye on the heard if no one ever sees the animal we bring out of the woods? the only advantage is that in the finantial mess the state is in, it means less people need to be hired or franchised as game wardens or check stations. the state gives the appearence of good governance and law enforcement, and we the law abiding population loose.

BUCKDIESEL 08-15-2004 08:31 AM

RE: va-game checkin on line?

I think the problem was when so many hunters harvested game in the evenings then came out of the woods so late that no game checking station were open, so the game commision wants to get accurate #'s on kills. It's not going to matter to poachers anyway they'll break the law no matter what.Chances are they are not even going to call. When you call in you have to give your correct lic. #and name and then they would be given a confirmation #. The # is 1-866-got-game any more info can be found at www.dgif.virginia.gov. :) BD

Invented 08-15-2004 08:31 PM

this is good news to me, there's nothing I hate more than standing in line with bloody hands and dirty feet

coolbrze0 08-16-2004 03:57 AM

I'll second what PJ said. It will be much more convenient for us to call it in now.

VaSavage270 08-16-2004 06:22 AM

poachers
Hmm.. yes I've been reading up on this, however looking from the outside I would say the state just legalized poaching..lmao just kidding.

But this will make life much easier than those dang lines at the check stations etc.

Blood Trail 08-16-2004 09:39 AM

Cruiser, I agree. Poachers free pass to the deer processor. I dont like it.

ButchA 08-16-2004 09:49 AM

I think it's a cool idea to call in. I'm confused as to how it might "help" poaching, if you know what I mean.

The only thing that I find weird is the new licenses and "notch" your tag, versus removing it to tag your deer/turkey/bear.

Another issue (referring to the post from Chubber about buying your license online) is the PDF file that you download with your license info. I clicked and saved my licenses right on my PC. What if I had the full blown version of Adobe (the one where you can create/edit PDF's)? I could theoritically go in and edit my license, change it around, then reprint it. See what I'm getting at? It's cool you can buy your license online, but they need to make that Adobe Acrobat PDF file VERY secure, so you can only print it - you can't save it, you can't edit it, etc...etc...

Butch A.

Tazman 08-16-2004 10:43 AM

Butch where poachers could take advantage of this method is they can check one deer, get the ackowledgement they checked a deer, butcher that deer, kill another and not check it in. Their butt is covered if the warden asks for their check in certificate on a deer they got hanging even if they didn't check it, to the warden they appear legal.

VAhuntr 08-17-2004 02:29 AM

Relax! The new check in system was put in place to help make the check in process easier. It will be especially helpful after those late night track jobs as Buckdiesel stated. North Carolina has used a phone in checking system for a few years now and it seems to be working great. The biggest drawback I see, is the possible revenue loss for the small rural "mom and pop" stores. I really think if someone is going to poach a deer they will do it regardless of the check in system we have in place.

soarkrebel 08-17-2004 10:59 AM

Arkansas started a online checking system a few years ago . i have used it and have to say i really like it. it is nice that i can do it at home and not have to go to a store and check my game.
give it a chance you might like it.

Blood Trail 08-17-2004 11:12 AM

The problem I have with it is there is no way to prove it was a doe or a buck. There is the potential to fib in hopes you will get one more shot a buck later on in the season.

Poachers will always poach. I dont want to give the weekend warrior the opportunity to be tempted is all.

VaSavage270 08-17-2004 12:23 PM

I would agree, the system will make it much easier for those late evenings etc., however someone broached of the “Mom and Pop” stores. And of course there will be those who choose the option to not report a harvest fairly that’s partially reality to some sense.

Well it won’t be much of an impact on revenue except for that of hunters purchasing other goods while checking their game in. As part owner of a Fishing Tackle Shop we also sale hunting license, we don’t make much revenue on license sales as I recall it was .50 (cents) per license I don’t know if there’s any revenue for running a check station for game. This may also have giving the State such protocol to have applicants apply online for license due to many shops etc. aren’t getting much of any revenues. Other than that the loss of any revenue as I see are from other purchases that interest others while checking in their game.

Right! Poachers will be Poachers regardless to what system is implemented, I also think now this is my own ostentatious belief, that by implementing such a system may have been reasoning to the lack of game check stations in strategic areas etc. In my experience one may have to travel a bit to check in game depending upon the area in which your hunting etc.

VAhuntr 08-17-2004 01:16 PM

VaSavage270,
That is exactly what I mean.....I understand making money off the checking system and selling licenses is just something to draw customers. Once inside the hunters may by food, drinks and etc.

Blood Trail,
I am sure there will be hunters that will call in a small buck as a "doe" in hopes of saving those buck tags. You are forgetting one important aspect though: The person can still get caught, suppose Joe hunter shoots a spike, calls it in as a doe on his cell phone, then gets stopped at a road check on his way home. Joe is now caught with his "doe" in the back of his truck.

Think about this: This new system will be automated....The computer may randomly select call ins from each county or region every week for game wardens and local law enforcement to check on.

Blood Trail 08-17-2004 01:21 PM

I am sure he may get caught sooner or later but if the warden stopped them he'd be caught then.

I guess I would rather see the "automated Hunt on Sunday program" :D
but I guess thats a different thread

brn2bow 08-17-2004 04:04 PM

Frankly, I'm glad to see this new addition. In our area,(Fred. & Clarke) more local stores are getting away from being a check station due to the aggrevation of the whole deal. I even had 1 store owner tell me last year that he lost too much money due to being a check station. As far as easing the way for poachers, what poacher takes his kill to a processing shop?! Furthermore a way to prevent that issue would be for the processors to require the giving of the number that you were given by the state. This way, if they were questioned or auditted, it could be tracked. Kinda like locks only keep honest people out. Let's help those they take the time and desire to follow the laws vs those who won't regardless.

Chubber 08-19-2004 12:17 PM

Once again we have to hand it to Virginia to make things easier for the majority. Check in lines, driving your deer all over tarnation, etc. are just more things that stand in the way of getting your kill reduced quickly for the best use of the meat. I process my own deer and if I shoot it at my Dad's house it is a pain to go get the truck and trailer, load her up, drive more than 15 miles round trip, get it entered in the book, then get it home to process. It was usually at least midnight before I could get a closing light deer reduced just into quarters. Plus, on Saturday night, am I supposed to wait until Monday morning to check a deer? On the Eastern Shore, unless it is very late in the season I would need a walk in freezer to hang it until then.

Ill call my kills in with a smile. An accurate harvest count will help the game wardens help the DGIF guys help us keep the herd healthy. More better deer! :)

Chubber

Chubber 08-19-2004 12:24 PM

ORIGINAL: ButchA
Another issue (referring to the post from Chubber about buying your license online) is the PDF file that you download with your license info. I clicked and saved my licenses right on my PC. What if I had the full blown version of Adobe (the one where you can create/edit PDF's)? I could theoritically go in and edit my license, change it around, then reprint it. See what I'm getting at? It's cool you can buy your license online, but they need to make that Adobe Acrobat PDF file VERY secure, so you can only print it - you can't save it, you can't edit it, etc...etc...

Butch A.
I did the same thing with the one I bought online. Saved it to my hard disk. I DO have the full version of Adobe and it will not let you edit the file. It is a protected file. You can copy text out of it, but not modify it.

Of course, with PageMaker or some other DTP program you could just make your own. But, game wardens are able to check the license # against the name any time they want now without having to go to the store where it was bought and look at the tag book.

Remember, in the "regular way" of doing it, you could still buy as many books of tags as you wanted from as many license vendors as you had money for. You would still be using more tags than you are allowed, but there is no stopping that.

Chubber

jetblast 08-21-2004 05:30 PM

We haven't checked deer in at game stations for a few years in SC. It's nice when you get one in the evening and don't have to find someplace open before you take it home and skin it out. Being from WV where we do check them in, I thought it was weird at first. But now I like it. Just don't ask how the DNR gets their harvest numbers. They've never talked to me!:D But they come up with some off the wall number. At least VA can have some "reasonable" accuracy with an on-line system.

pocomoke 08-29-2004 08:48 PM

I can see where this makes life easier on alot of hunters,but I see lots and I mean lots of folks killing a small 4-6-8 point and all they gotta do is get it home then call in a doe and butcher it up then out they go for a better buck.

Dont feed me the lines about Oh the warden may check on them,PLEASE

What about the guy who shoots a big 12 point 170 class deer in the
middle of the night with his 06' and gets it home and calls it in as a bow kill the next day.Wow he has his tag and a spot in the book.If he had to check it in with the warden right there Not only would he be nervous as hell saying it was a bow kill when it was not,when the warden asked about the hugh exit hole I bet he would be shaking in his boots.

I witnessed this years ago when a fella checked in a nice buck that he said was a bow kill and when they were giving it the once over,there in the hole was a wad from a sabot slug.He was taken inside a trailer and I assume he got in some trouble.

Yes poachers will poach regardless but Va. Just made it alot easier to get away with it.There is just something about eye contact that will make someone involved in illegal activity screw up and spill the beans.

Allen Denton 08-30-2004 12:07 PM

We have our own checking station at the huntclub, but ti does seem that it would be easier and you do not have to go back into town to check the deer in.

VAhuntr 08-31-2004 06:59 PM

pocomoke,

Do you live or hunt in a state that uses an automated check in system? I know several hunters and law enforcement officers who love the automated check in systems. As a law enforcement officer myself, I can tell you if you think people will not get caught under the new system you are crazy. I can also tell you a great deal of illegal hunting activity is caught because of tips from other hunters.

pocomoke 08-31-2004 09:26 PM

Va no I hunt in Maryland and we still have to take to a check in station.I will be hunting Virginia in Rockingham Co. for the 1st time in 20 years.I do see that it sure makes checking a deer alot easier.We used to bust a gut to get a deer out of the woods and to the check station which close early in the area we hunted.

I just didnt want to see some numbnuts who is popping deer at night being able to easily get a tag for his/her illegal deer.I hope it works well...

VAhuntr 09-01-2004 06:58 AM

Just give the system a chance to work is all I'm saying. From my understanding, most areas that use this type of system actually have an increase in reported kills because it is easier to check a kill in. I will not disagree that some will take advantage of the situation and use it to their advantage. Eventually these people get caught. We as hunters need to keep our eyes and ears open for suspicious and illegal activities and report them to the proper authorities.

Blood Trail 09-01-2004 07:04 AM

Pocomoke,

I think you are right. The "fear" factor of being caught at the check in station is a deterent to those that may want to bend the rules a little. I want to make it hard for poachers to get their meat butchered and their heads stuffed. This program makes it easier.

VAhunter,

Are you kidding me!!!!!! Rely on other hunters to turn people in?? I am sure it does happen sometimes but if that is the states answer to "law enforcement" we are in a world of hurt.

Swampmonster 09-01-2004 10:50 AM

I will be heading to VA for the frontloader opener (I think), and I hope to stay there right through the GF season. This will be very convenient and so I will like it very much. But I think the system will increase poaching by giving poaching opportunities to guys of marginal integrity-- guys who under the old system did not poach for fear of getting caught. If the season's harvest statistics move downward markedly, I will suspect both increased poaching and hunters who simply decided not to bother calling in. That would be a shame.

VAhuntr 09-01-2004 12:05 PM

Blood Trail,
Maybe you should read my post again. I did not say anywhere in my post that the state should rely on other hunters or citizens to provide law enforcement. I was simply stating everyone should become involved. I am a law enforcement officer and can tell you many criminals are caught because they are #1.) turned in by normal everyday citizens, #2)they do not know how to keep their mouths shut and #3)their buddies do not know how to keep their mouths shut. Obviously, many are caught by investigative and patrol work as well but citizen involvement is a higly important tool for law enforcement. If this were not the case then our neighborhood watch programs would not even exist. Virginia even has a crime watch for wildlife that is modeled after the neighborhood watch programs. Here is a link, maybe you should read up on it:

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/wildcrime/index.html

If you expect the VDGIF to catch every wildlife violation without any citizen or hunter involvement you are sadly mistaken and misinformed. The Virginia Game Wardens do a great job but they are spread thin and underfunded. I am positive they will welcome any tips or information anyone may have.

Blood Trail 09-01-2004 12:49 PM

VAhunter,

I understand that crime watches may be effective, no question but they are limited. How is the state going to enforce this model? What kind of follow up can be done 10 days later. The evidence is gone? I have many friends in LE. I think its a difficult job. Too many issues not enough time. I think in an effort to save money the state made for work for itself to enforce the laws. I hope is works.

I for one like the freedom of choice but it will have its drawbacks.

VAhuntr 09-01-2004 02:43 PM

I understand your concerns but I don't think the floodgates for poaching will be opened. If the system was that bad don't you think other states would have abandoned similar check in systems by now? IMO the two biggest problems will be: 1.) hunters checking in small bucks as anterless deer to save buck tags and 2.)once the hunter gets home with his deer he simply will not check the deer in.

Remember, once you recover a deer you are required to notch the appropriate tag until you call in, check in or check in via internet the kill and get a confirmation #. If you are caught with a deer in your possession that does not match what is notched or the tag is not notched you are busted. I will be willing to bet there will be many citations given for improperly tagged/checked deer this year.

o2bebowhunting 09-02-2004 12:16 PM

if you take the deer to a check station--do they give you a # to write on your tags or will they give you a card(like before)? what if you are in a club that checks their own deer in. i would assume that it would be just like last year and years before.

VAhuntr 09-02-2004 06:01 PM

o2bebowhunting,

Regardless of how you intend to check your kill in, make sure you remove the notch on the appropriate tag before you move the kill. The way I understand it, if you check in at a checking station you will get a check card like years before. However, you must still record the number off of the card onto the apprpriate notched tag in ink.

I'm not really familiar with the clubs checking deer in so I will pass on that question. I am assuming your club is using DMAP or DCAP tags?

dpv 09-06-2004 08:30 AM

If your a scumbag poacher, your going to poach and buck the system no matter how the system is set up. I say it's a goog move forward.

hunting2288 09-07-2004 03:23 PM

The only way poachers will be helped at all is if they kill a deer, butcher it, get the meat out of their possesion and then kill another deer of the same sex on the same day, otherwise the warden can tell they are poaching from the numbers on the license. If someone is going to go through that much trouble to poach a deer their gonna do it regardless of how they check the deer in.