HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   va-game checkin on line? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/69148-va-game-checkin-line.html)

cruiser 08-15-2004 06:49 AM

va-game checkin on line?

just got my license (boy, there gettin cheap on the big game tags) starting this year, we can check in game on line or over the phone. sounds like a crock to me! how are we going to stop poaching, or keep an acurate eye on the heard if no one ever sees the animal we bring out of the woods? the only advantage is that in the finantial mess the state is in, it means less people need to be hired or franchised as game wardens or check stations. the state gives the appearence of good governance and law enforcement, and we the law abiding population loose.

BUCKDIESEL 08-15-2004 08:31 AM

RE: va-game checkin on line?

I think the problem was when so many hunters harvested game in the evenings then came out of the woods so late that no game checking station were open, so the game commision wants to get accurate #'s on kills. It's not going to matter to poachers anyway they'll break the law no matter what.Chances are they are not even going to call. When you call in you have to give your correct lic. #and name and then they would be given a confirmation #. The # is 1-866-got-game any more info can be found at www.dgif.virginia.gov. :) BD

Invented 08-15-2004 08:31 PM

this is good news to me, there's nothing I hate more than standing in line with bloody hands and dirty feet

coolbrze0 08-16-2004 03:57 AM

I'll second what PJ said. It will be much more convenient for us to call it in now.

VaSavage270 08-16-2004 06:22 AM

poachers
Hmm.. yes I've been reading up on this, however looking from the outside I would say the state just legalized poaching..lmao just kidding.

But this will make life much easier than those dang lines at the check stations etc.

Blood Trail 08-16-2004 09:39 AM

Cruiser, I agree. Poachers free pass to the deer processor. I dont like it.

ButchA 08-16-2004 09:49 AM

I think it's a cool idea to call in. I'm confused as to how it might "help" poaching, if you know what I mean.

The only thing that I find weird is the new licenses and "notch" your tag, versus removing it to tag your deer/turkey/bear.

Another issue (referring to the post from Chubber about buying your license online) is the PDF file that you download with your license info. I clicked and saved my licenses right on my PC. What if I had the full blown version of Adobe (the one where you can create/edit PDF's)? I could theoritically go in and edit my license, change it around, then reprint it. See what I'm getting at? It's cool you can buy your license online, but they need to make that Adobe Acrobat PDF file VERY secure, so you can only print it - you can't save it, you can't edit it, etc...etc...

Butch A.

Tazman 08-16-2004 10:43 AM

Butch where poachers could take advantage of this method is they can check one deer, get the ackowledgement they checked a deer, butcher that deer, kill another and not check it in. Their butt is covered if the warden asks for their check in certificate on a deer they got hanging even if they didn't check it, to the warden they appear legal.

VAhuntr 08-17-2004 02:29 AM

Relax! The new check in system was put in place to help make the check in process easier. It will be especially helpful after those late night track jobs as Buckdiesel stated. North Carolina has used a phone in checking system for a few years now and it seems to be working great. The biggest drawback I see, is the possible revenue loss for the small rural "mom and pop" stores. I really think if someone is going to poach a deer they will do it regardless of the check in system we have in place.

soarkrebel 08-17-2004 10:59 AM

Arkansas started a online checking system a few years ago . i have used it and have to say i really like it. it is nice that i can do it at home and not have to go to a store and check my game.
give it a chance you might like it.