Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 va-game checkin on line? >

va-game checkin on line?

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

va-game checkin on line?

Old 08-17-2004, 11:12 AM

Default RE: va-game checkin on line?

The problem I have with it is there is no way to prove it was a doe or a buck. There is the potential to fib in hopes you will get one more shot a buck later on in the season.

Poachers will always poach. I dont want to give the weekend warrior the opportunity to be tempted is all.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

I would agree, the system will make it much easier for those late evenings etc., however someone broached of the “Mom and Pop” stores. And of course there will be those who choose the option to not report a harvest fairly that’s partially reality to some sense.

Well it won’t be much of an impact on revenue except for that of hunters purchasing other goods while checking their game in. As part owner of a Fishing Tackle Shop we also sale hunting license, we don’t make much revenue on license sales as I recall it was .50 (cents) per license I don’t know if there’s any revenue for running a check station for game. This may also have giving the State such protocol to have applicants apply online for license due to many shops etc. aren’t getting much of any revenues. Other than that the loss of any revenue as I see are from other purchases that interest others while checking in their game.

Right! Poachers will be Poachers regardless to what system is implemented, I also think now this is my own ostentatious belief, that by implementing such a system may have been reasoning to the lack of game check stations in strategic areas etc. In my experience one may have to travel a bit to check in game depending upon the area in which your hunting etc.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

VaSavage270,
That is exactly what I mean.....I understand making money off the checking system and selling licenses is just something to draw customers. Once inside the hunters may by food, drinks and etc.

Blood Trail,
I am sure there will be hunters that will call in a small buck as a "doe" in hopes of saving those buck tags. You are forgetting one important aspect though: The person can still get caught, suppose Joe hunter shoots a spike, calls it in as a doe on his cell phone, then gets stopped at a road check on his way home. Joe is now caught with his "doe" in the back of his truck.

Think about this: This new system will be automated....The computer may randomly select call ins from each county or region every week for game wardens and local law enforcement to check on.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:21 PM

I am sure he may get caught sooner or later but if the warden stopped them he'd be caught then.

I guess I would rather see the "automated Hunt on Sunday program"
but I guess thats a different thread
Old 08-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Spike

Frankly, I'm glad to see this new addition. In our area,(Fred. & Clarke) more local stores are getting away from being a check station due to the aggrevation of the whole deal. I even had 1 store owner tell me last year that he lost too much money due to being a check station. As far as easing the way for poachers, what poacher takes his kill to a processing shop?! Furthermore a way to prevent that issue would be for the processors to require the giving of the number that you were given by the state. This way, if they were questioned or auditted, it could be tracked. Kinda like locks only keep honest people out. Let's help those they take the time and desire to follow the laws vs those who won't regardless.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:17 PM

Once again we have to hand it to Virginia to make things easier for the majority. Check in lines, driving your deer all over tarnation, etc. are just more things that stand in the way of getting your kill reduced quickly for the best use of the meat. I process my own deer and if I shoot it at my Dad's house it is a pain to go get the truck and trailer, load her up, drive more than 15 miles round trip, get it entered in the book, then get it home to process. It was usually at least midnight before I could get a closing light deer reduced just into quarters. Plus, on Saturday night, am I supposed to wait until Monday morning to check a deer? On the Eastern Shore, unless it is very late in the season I would need a walk in freezer to hang it until then.

Ill call my kills in with a smile. An accurate harvest count will help the game wardens help the DGIF guys help us keep the herd healthy. More better deer!

Chubber
Old 08-19-2004, 12:24 PM

ORIGINAL: ButchA
Another issue (referring to the post from Chubber about buying your license online) is the PDF file that you download with your license info. I clicked and saved my licenses right on my PC. What if I had the full blown version of Adobe (the one where you can create/edit PDF's)? I could theoritically go in and edit my license, change it around, then reprint it. See what I'm getting at? It's cool you can buy your license online, but they need to make that Adobe Acrobat PDF file VERY secure, so you can only print it - you can't save it, you can't edit it, etc...etc...

Butch A.
I did the same thing with the one I bought online. Saved it to my hard disk. I DO have the full version of Adobe and it will not let you edit the file. It is a protected file. You can copy text out of it, but not modify it.

Of course, with PageMaker or some other DTP program you could just make your own. But, game wardens are able to check the license # against the name any time they want now without having to go to the store where it was bought and look at the tag book.

Remember, in the "regular way" of doing it, you could still buy as many books of tags as you wanted from as many license vendors as you had money for. You would still be using more tags than you are allowed, but there is no stopping that.

Chubber
Old 08-21-2004, 05:30 PM

We haven't checked deer in at game stations for a few years in SC. It's nice when you get one in the evening and don't have to find someplace open before you take it home and skin it out. Being from WV where we do check them in, I thought it was weird at first. But now I like it. Just don't ask how the DNR gets their harvest numbers. They've never talked to me! But they come up with some off the wall number. At least VA can have some "reasonable" accuracy with an on-line system.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:48 PM

I can see where this makes life easier on alot of hunters,but I see lots and I mean lots of folks killing a small 4-6-8 point and all they gotta do is get it home then call in a doe and butcher it up then out they go for a better buck.

Dont feed me the lines about Oh the warden may check on them,PLEASE

What about the guy who shoots a big 12 point 170 class deer in the
middle of the night with his 06' and gets it home and calls it in as a bow kill the next day.Wow he has his tag and a spot in the book.If he had to check it in with the warden right there Not only would he be nervous as hell saying it was a bow kill when it was not,when the warden asked about the hugh exit hole I bet he would be shaking in his boots.

I witnessed this years ago when a fella checked in a nice buck that he said was a bow kill and when they were giving it the once over,there in the hole was a wad from a sabot slug.He was taken inside a trailer and I assume he got in some trouble.

Yes poachers will poach regardless but Va. Just made it alot easier to get away with it.There is just something about eye contact that will make someone involved in illegal activity screw up and spill the beans.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have our own checking station at the huntclub, but ti does seem that it would be easier and you do not have to go back into town to check the deer in.

Quick Reply: va-game checkin on line?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.