Snakes in the South while huntin >

Snakes in the South while huntin

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Snakes in the South while huntin

Old 07-16-2004, 01:37 PM

Default RE: Snakes in the South while huntin

LBR,
If you ever get a Hog nosed snake to roll over and play dead, Roll him back over on his belly, He will turn back over again, thinks he has to be bottom up to play dead. We have our share of rat snakes in my area, watched one scale a rough cut board wall in an outbuilding. Man, they can move.

Russ
Old 07-16-2004, 07:57 PM

Well I grew up in KY where Copperheads were very common. Moved to FL in 1988 and let me tell you Cottonmouths ain't no joke. During the spring they are extremely aggressive. I've had them drop in the boat with me while fishing small creeks. In fact I just ordered a little 22 pistol for that reason. First snake that I have seen that will actually chase you up the bank or across the swamp. Most Rattlers will stand and fight defensively but these boogers will bring it! Leave em alone or put a cap in em, just my two cents...... Gary
Old 07-16-2004, 10:16 PM

If you ever plan on hunting in South Texas especailly during the spring and summer, you better invest in some snake chaps. So far this year I've killed about 15 rattle snakes, with 4 of them over 6 foot. Most of them are 3-5 foot in length, but they are all just as bad. Most of this country is made up of thick mequite brush, black brush, prickly pear, and other thorn infested bushes. So most of the time we are walking, some times crawling, threw thick brush and waist high grass which makes it hard to see where your stepping. Even if you never see a rattle snake, if your wearing a pair of chaps your going to feel alot more comfortable and confident. Just feeling relaxed and safe is worth the $50 the chaps cost. Happy hunting all and be safe.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:24 PM

if your wearing a pair of chaps your going to feel alot more comfortable and confident. Just feeling relaxed and safe is worth the $50 the chaps cost. Happy hunting all and be safe.
Amen to that TX!
Old 07-18-2004, 04:55 AM
Typical Buck

Im pretty anal when it comes to snakes,,doubt anyone in the world is more afraid of em than i am, I was gettin the mower out of the shed when i seen sumpin move out of the corner of my eye & to my dismay it was a black snake laying on the outside wall cross member (metal shed) so i ran to the house & grabbed the 20 gauge ran back to the shed & put 3 holes in the side of it where i thought it was layin,,,WELL!! in my haste i forgot to pull the tractor out!!!!!! summing this story up quickly, i have a damaged tractor(holes all through the hood) sheds history,,,& the wife now thinks im loosing my mind. whats more the snake was gone before the 1st shot rang out!!!!!!!!!!! But in hunting season i try not to think about snakes,,,i tell myself that their gone by the end of august
Old 07-19-2004, 02:54 PM
bigcountry

I figured you fellers would be buying those snake boots. Everytime I turkey hunt in Ky, seems, snakes everywhere. Maybe I wasn't paying attention as a kid, but I never seen so many as this past year. So I have worked some in Miss., and alababama, and saw snakes everywhere. Wondered how you cope. My great grandmother was bit by a copperhead in the cellar. It really screwed her up. It was in the early 70's, and they tried to get her some anti venom, but that stuff has a shelf life, and with nearest hospital 3 hours, away (decent hospital), it got serious. She never could talk right or use her left arm after that.

Then I have a old father in law who prays to rattlers, or did. Snake handler if you will. Saw him get a good dose. He didn't go to the hospital for a few days, and I have never seen a arm look like that. Swelled up 8" in diameter. He finally on the verge of death, let the family take him to the emergency room.

Ever since that, I have hated them.

Old 07-20-2004, 09:04 PM

Gary.
If you plan using that .22 in a boat, better use those Mustard seed shot. A fellow from where I used to work went fishing with a friend in a fair sized creek. A cottonmouth fell off a limb into the boat. The friend paniced and shot 4 holes in the bottom of the boat. The snake slipped out of the boat untouched leaving them with a sinking boat. With some fast paddling, they made it to the bank before the boat sunk.

Russ
Old 07-20-2004, 10:28 PM
Typical Buck

We've got so many here I just act like they're furniture and walk around them. Got diamond backs, timber rattlers, copperheads, and cottonmouths, and rare but occasionally a coral snake. This dosen't even include the non poisinous, got bunches of them.

dog1
Old 07-24-2004, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

manomanomanoman..... dem snakies be all over the place where I hunt hogs... trouble is once I see one, I start snake searching instead of hog hunting...

I wear snake boots, been hit once by a rattler that forgot to rattle... I figure I scared him more then the scared me (yeah right)....

gators don't bother me too much, once I see them, I just keep an eye out... freakin cottonmouths look for you though....

Pulled two small rattlers out of the pool once, but had a friend catch a black snake (indigo racer) and release him around the house.... they eat poisonous snakes and since then havent seen a rattler around the house.... that black scares the bejeebus out of me when mowing the lawn though...
Old 07-24-2004, 10:15 PM

I don't go into the woods w/o snake boots. Haven't seen one yet on my E. GA lease, but I see at least one snake every time I hunt w/ my brother in NE FL. Mostly pygmy rattlers. I like the Lacrosse scent free rubber snake boots.

As for the ticks, they are awful in E. GA this year. Pulled one off my 5 yr old son after our last scouting trip. My buddy was with us and he picked several off of him. Hell, a buddy down from CT pulled a couple off himself after we played golf here in the Atlanta area. He spends more time in the woods than he does the fairways, tho.

Quick Reply: Snakes in the South while huntin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.