Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Snakes in the South while huntin >

Snakes in the South while huntin

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Snakes in the South while huntin

Old 07-25-2004, 03:07 AM

Default RE: Snakes in the South while huntin

i really hate snakes. i was bitten once (not hunting) so screw em the good old trusty shovel takes care of snakes pretty well
Old 07-27-2004, 10:33 AM

It is not the snakes that bother me. Wear a good pair of snake boots and pay attention to where you are walking. What really bothers me during the early season is the darn yelolow jackets. I hate those things. More annoying than misquitos.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:18 PM

Turkey hunting one time here in Bama and heard something coming down the holler toward me,just knew it was a bird,turned out to be 2 black snakes wrapping theirselves all around each other and breeding like all get out making more little black snakes.One New Years Day deer hunting,I stepped over a 3 foot cottonmouth.See them so much,I really don't think about them,although I do worry about my boys.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:33 PM

Bass Pro, got snake boots on sale now for $69.99
Old 08-30-2004, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just wear snake chaps,they work great if it's still hot out.I used to raise snakes so I don't fear them but I do show them respect.NEVER try to keep a hog nose as a pet.THEY STINK!!!!
Old 09-16-2004, 06:36 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-17-2004, 12:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt snakes frequently. I just wear my everyday western boots. They have defeated every snake thus far. I bought some of those chaps, but they get hot so I don't like to wear them. Prime hunting is from Oct. to April. They congregate around their dens. Only problem is when the weather turns warm and the snakes get further away from their dens than I am expecting them to be. Good for the cardio, helps raise the heart rate.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:14 PM

Wow! Sorry to pull an old thread up, but thought I would add some interesting information. Aside from bowhunting, another hobby of mine is reptiles. To better clarify that, snakes. I currently only have two boas and two pythons. In reality, that are one of the most misunderstood animals. Aside from my collection, I have several personal friends in NC and GA that are experienced in venomous snakes. One of them with over 30+ venomous snakes ranging from copperheads to cobras. Venomous snakes will only bite as a last resort. Trust me, they always will look to escape and only strike when they are cornered or feel threatened. If you don't believe that, the next time you see one, stop and see what happens. Now when you walk up on them and startle them, it's a different story. They are at that point going to feel threatened. There are a few such as cottonmouths that have an overall nasty temperment. But so many people tend to think snakes will chase you down and eat you alive. There are so many myths it's not even worth going through and explaining all of them. As far as killing them for their skin and the rattlesnake round-ups. I am strictly against such. In reality, I don't think any animal should be butchered just for their skin and because others want fancy belts and boots. I highly doubt anyone would want to be gassed and driven out of their home only to be butchered for their skin? Sorry if you get offended North Texan, but that's my personal view and every year several forums related to reptiles get together to donate money for those experienced with venomous species to go to the round-ups and buy all they can with the donated money and a large sum of their own to try and rehab them. Some live and others don't have any hope. Keep in mind, once these animals are removed from the wild and rehabbed they cannot be released back to the wilderness due to range locations and other health factors. My advice is this, respect them and they will respect you. If you try to muck with them and kill them, then the odds of you getting bit are doubled.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:02 PM

I am moving down to Central FL this summer/fall. You better bet I am going to haul butt over to Bass Pro Shops or something and check out the snake boots. Something lightweight and waterproof. Don't know if I will get the chaps or boots, but I gotta get new waterproof boots anyway, so I might double up. I figure if my waterproof boots are snakeproof I won't be sitting somewhere wishing I had remembered to bring the chaps!

Chubber
Old 05-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Big Country,
I was raised in Maryland too. Been hunting in Florida for the last 3 years.
Snakes are serious business. I bought snake boots for archery.To darn sqweaky in the stand. So I wear the normal sized hunting boot. Here's what I do.
1.Make sure my flashlight is very bright.Carry an extra one.
2.Have my path/trail marked good but not so good other hunters find it. This way I advoid as much water as possible.{For me that's the most important part.} Have a plan where to walk.
3. In the military we learned to high step because of trip wires. It also works on snakes.Walk high and be hyper alert on every step.
4. KNow your snake. The moccassin goes through 3 different colors growing up. First year orange next stage dark brown with patches .Final stage blackish .
NO MATTER WHAT STAGE THEY ALL HAVE A TAN EYE BROWL ABOVE THE EYE.
Pigmy Rattlers are abundant down here in Florida as well. They are very deadly and stay hidden well. So I brush the leaves away before sitting on the ground. When I prescout is when I scrape at least a 6' circle clean.
At least in bow season your in a tree.
Chuck

Quick Reply: Snakes in the South while huntin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.