Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Moving to Florida! >

Moving to Florida!

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Moving to Florida!

Old 09-25-2005, 03:42 PM

Default RE: Moving to Florida!

there's not as big of deer down here but the hog is great!
Old 09-29-2005, 02:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey partner,
I'm only 30 miles from ya and hunt in the Green Swamp WMA. I
've been hunting there 3 years and got 1 buck and 1 hog. We have a long season to me. 5 weekends of archery which the first one started last weekend. I send an application eac year to hunt 8 days early during firearm and have alwasys been drawn. The Green Swamp is about 57000acres. There are about 7 other WMA s within 50 miles of ya.

WARNING Snakes and gators are a real issue here. Moccasins and pigmy rattlers are common and so are diamond backs in some areas. Also , take your climbng stand with you. There is a big chance it will be stolden. Don't break any laws. You will be checked going out of most WMAs and they don't play in Florida. Also , with your Wildlife Management stamp you can fish for free throughout the year in the management areas. Central Florida is mostly known for their bass fishing.

God bless ,
Chuck

Old 09-29-2005, 03:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Hey partner,
I'm only 30 miles from ya and hunt in the Green Swamp WMA. I
've been hunting there 3 years and got 1 buck and 1 hog. We have a long season to me. 5 weekends of archery which the first one started last weekend. I send an application eac year to hunt 8 days early during firearm and have alwasys been drawn. The Green Swamp is about 57000acres. There are about 7 other WMA s within 50 miles of ya.
I am going to try to get my application in for Green Swamp or maybe Richloam. Both are big and about the same distance for me. I am going to try to get out on both late in the gun season here and get a good look around and decide which I want to focus on.

Bonus: I just realized that I can hunt on Sundays in Florida. Don't know if I will, my time is pretty open, but it would be a nice change to have the option. In VA you can't hunt anywhere on Sunday.

WARNING Snakes and gators are a real issue here. Moccasins and pigmy rattlers are common and so are diamond backs in some areas. Also , take your climbng stand with you. There is a big chance it will be stolden. Don't break any laws. You will be checked going out of most WMAs and they don't play in Florida. Also , with your Wildlife Management stamp you can fish for free throughout the year in the management areas. Central Florida is mostly known for their bass fishing.
I am worried about snakes a bit. I looked into some snakeproof boots, but I can't decide if I want to go with boots or chaps. Good boots + chaps might be more comfortable when hiking, but don't really provide the same protection that real snake boots do.

I never leave my stand in the woods. It's a pain to hup it in and out, but doable. I have been contemplating a way to make it work with my bicycle since most stuff around here is so flat. Up in VA and PA it would have been impossible. I guess I have to see how far from the road you need to be.

I wanna do some catfish and perch fishing when I get a chance. Love to eat both. Never really could eat Bass.

Old 09-29-2005, 06:43 PM
Dominant Buck

I fish at a management area about 20 miles from you. It is the best pan fishing place in th estate of Florida. You do not need an application to hunt in the Green Swamp during the normal times.Around Nov.17th I beleive.Just drive to the gate with a license and management stamp.about 40.00. They wil give you an orange piece of paper for free. The gate opens at 5:00AM and closes around 8:00 PM. Later I will send you a satellite map of the area. It has a lot of game but you need to hav eskills to be successful or blessed. I was blessed.LOL Hogs range there from 60lbs to close to 300. The state record deer was killed in the West Green Swamp areas in the late 1990s. A 25 point in velvet. However ; the average deer in the Green Swamp is around 100 pounds. The spike must be a t least 5 inches long.

Concerning snakes. Keep your eyes open and carry an extra flashlight or batteries. The pros get game out of there. The regular hunters usually strike out. Most of the game shot there are hogs. There are wild turkeys inthere and camping is free. Polk county is also the number one county for crank { Meth} use. They camp there as well. Mark your trail well. A man was lost out there last year and was never found. There are also lots of coyotes. Florida is also ranked number 3 for the best birding state. I f you are a bird watcher you wil be in heaven. We have the birds. The roads are good and can be traveled with 2 wheel drive. Rich loam is more rough and is full of the rowdy hunters with dogs. Green Swamp allows no dogs.
Enjoy ,
Chuck