Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Arkansas Hunting Seasons >

Arkansas Hunting Seasons

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Arkansas Hunting Seasons

Old 03-24-2004, 11:20 AM

Default Arkansas Hunting Seasons

When does the legislature start talking about any changes in hunting seasons and harvest again. I hope they don't cut us any more. It hurt enough last year.

I got back from the lease on Monday.....deer were everywhere you look....tracks all over the place...plots were being eaten up......
Old 03-24-2004, 05:37 PM

Default RE: Arkansas Hunting Seasons

look at www.agfc.com

there is a page that shows the dates. i don't have time to look it up now, but saw it just the other day.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:41 AM
Spike

This just came out:
LITTLE ROCK - Biologists from the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission have presented their proposals for this year’s deer season. The commission will study the proposals and make a decision at its April 15 meeting in Hot Springs.

If approved by the commission, the state’s bag limit would remain at three deer - the same as the previous season. The proposal includes limiting the bag limit to no more than two legal bucks or two doe of the three deer limit. Hunters would be able to harvest more than three deer with deer camp doe tags that are issued through the AGFC’s Deer Management Assistance Program or bonus deer on some WMAs.

Specifically, the bag limits would be as follows: Zones 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11 - one buck and one doe bag limit; a doe zone quota permit would be required. During archery season, a zone doe quota permit is not required to take a doe unless hunting in Zones 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 10 or 11 when a firearms deer season is open. This proposal would reduce the buck bag limit from two to one. Zones 4, 5, 13 - doe bag limit of one, which is no change from last year. Zones 4A, 5A, 9, 12, 14, 15, 16, 16A, 17 - doe bag limit of two which is proposed to be an increase of the doe bag limit from one last year.

The proposed deer season regulations would again split the majority of the state's deer zones into two separate hunting periods. Modern gun hunting would be allowed from Nov. 13 to Nov. 21 and from Nov. 25 to Dec. 5 in deer zones 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11 and 13. Zones 4A, 5A, 9, 12, 14 and 15 would begin on Nov. 13 and continue through Dec. 12. Deer season in Zone 4 would be Nov. 13-14. In Zone 5, deer season would be Nov. 13-14 and Nov. 20-21. Deer season in zones 16, 16A and 17 would be from Nov. 13 to Dec. 30. These dates are similar to last year’s season with the exception of Zone 16 where it would be increased by 11 days.

The new proposals also included a statewide plan to allow youth under the age of 16 to harvest any buck as their first buck in the bag. The second buck would have to conform to the WMA or Zone requirement.

There were two options proposed for archery season. The first proposal would cut archery season back two weeks from last year and would be Oct. 1, 2004 to Jan. 31, 2005. The second option would keep open deer archery season until Feb. 15 instead of closing on Jan. 31. The proposed statewide October deer muzzleloader season would be extended five days from last season and would be open from Oct. 16-24. The Christmas holiday modern gun deer hunt would again be held Dec. 26-28. There are no proposed changes in the use of dogs when hunting deer and the three-point rule would stay in place.

Also proposed for hunting season this year is fall wild turkey season that would be Oct. 1, 2004 to Jan. 31, 2005 for archery and crossbow hunters. This could change if the commission approves the later ending date of Feb. 15 for deer archery season. Firearms season would be Oct. 25-31 in turkey Zones 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 7A, 8 and 17 with a limit of one either-sex turkey. All other turkey zones would be closed to firearms hunting.

If approved, bear archery season would be Oct. 1-Nov. 30 in bear Zones 1 and 2, with the remainder of the bear zones closed to archery bear hunting. Bear muzzleloader season would be Oct. 16-24 in bear Zones 1 and 2. Bear hunting with a modern gun would be Nov. 1-30 in Zones 1 and 2, Dec. 11-19 in Zone 5 and Dec. 4-19 in Zone 5A. The remainder of the zones would be closed to modern gun hunting. The bag limit would be one bear. The zone bear quotas would remain the same as last year.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:21 PM

Thanks,

Yes I saw that....sounds like they are moving back in the right direction from last years setback.

But I believe you can't go by what a few hunters say they saw or didn't see.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got back from the lease on Monday.....deer were everywhere you look....tracks all over the place...plots were being eaten up......
But I believe you can't go by what a few hunters say they saw or didn't see.