HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   VA Sunday Hunting legislation (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/51342-va-sunday-hunting-legislation.html)

02bhntn 01-30-2004 12:01 PM

VA Sunday Hunting legislation

The legislation proplsed in the VA General Assemly (House) Bill HB 442 to allow the hunting on Sunday never made it out of committee on Wednesday the 28th of Jan. It is for all intents and purposes dead for another session. What a crying sham they cant get their heads out of the a$$es to even examine the issue.

ButchA 01-30-2004 12:19 PM

RE: VA Sunday Hunting legislation

I heard that too.... They absolutely, totally, squashed it right then and there and never gave it a chance!!!! [:@][:'(]

Butch

Aught Six 01-30-2004 12:52 PM

The legislation proplsed in the VA General Assemly (House) Bill HB 442 to allow the hunting on Sunday never made it out of committee on Wednesday the 28th of Jan.
Delegate Parrish just today got around to emailing me about his opposition to the bill.

"I do not support the imposition of Sunday hunting because other outdoor recreational users of our forests and open lands are not able to pursue their outdoor hobbies on Saturdays because of the presence of hunters."

Are there really that many non-hunters in the woods during late October to early January? Spring gobbler season is another story, but my cousin and I are the only people I know who camp or hike in winter. Most campgrounds close in October! I want to know exactly how many people are out there during the colder months.

Tazman 01-31-2004 06:21 AM

It is the last of the old blue laws and this is the Old Dominion so things die hard! Oh well maybe next year.:eek:

VAhuntr 01-31-2004 03:36 PM

I'm really not suprised that it did not pass. Like Taz said, some things don't change easily in this state. Actually I am really impressed it made it as far as it did.

A5Mag12 02-06-2004 02:03 PM

Could it be all the D.C. bunch that keep Sun. hunting banned? ie With money and influence. Just trying to understand how this could be allowed to continue. I can't imagine not being able to hunt on Sunday.

Aught Six 02-06-2004 02:25 PM

I wouldn't say that people from DC are to blame, but those living in Northern VA, Richmond, and the Tidewater Region (basically the urban areas of the state). I haven't seen any evidence of interstate opposition to Sunday hunting.

JagMagMan 02-06-2004 02:34 PM

I have not hunted on Sundays for a couple of years now. By my choice!
If I had to travel several hours to my hunting spot, I'd be hunting on Sundays too.
I am a Christian, but also a shift worker, so there are times I work on Sundays and times when I have days off during the week. We also enjoy a long hunting season here in Texas, so I really don't have to hunt on Sundays!
I understand that some states have much shorter hunting seasons, and some people have only weekends to hunt, so hunting time is at a premium! I can't believe that there are that many non hunters in the woods that would make hunting unsafe, and honoring Sunday as the Lord's Day is, and always will be an individual choice! You cannot be forced into honoring God, and you can also honor God from a deer stand too! I have had some of my closest spiritual experiences in the deer woods! I really hope you all can get this stupid law changed soon! Good luck, from a Lone Star Friend!

A5Mag12 02-06-2004 07:43 PM

I was talking about the ones who live in Va. but work in D.C. I don't know, like I said, I can't believe that in a country that is supposed to be free that you can't hunt on Sunday. To me that goes against every thing that is American. And that B/S about it's so non-hunters can enjoy the woods is just that, pure B/S. I don't live there and it still gets me mad. And if you ever here of a group trying to fight it in the U.S. Supreme Court post it up. I'll pony up a bit to help out.

Outdoor 02-07-2004 09:34 PM

When I owned "Virginia Outdoorsman" we tried to get enough signatures to start the process to allow Sunday hunting you think I was trying to rewrite the constitution.

Sunday's for non hunters? Your kidding right? Just like some thick headed delegate to try and save the woods for non hunters..I thought the woods belonged to everyone?

Some other excuses we use to hear >>
- no one in church wants to hear a gun go off , This is the bible belt
- They can hunt on Saturday's ..thats enough
- All you people from other states move here and think you can change things

Keep fighting for your rights to hunt Sunday..they play baseball on Sundays, they play Football on Sundays..they race Nascar on Sundays so what makes hunting the exception?
Don't give up VA hunters!