Public land hog hunt >

Public land hog hunt

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Public land hog hunt

Old 11-11-2020, 04:28 AM
Spike

Default Public land hog hunt

Does anyone know of any public land in or by Southeast Virginia/North Carolina that has hogs? I know there's Big Woods WMA in VA, but I don't think they have hogs. I am willing to go into NC to hunt them. I'll be using my Savage axis .243 winchester( Hornady American Whitetail 100 grain, and Sierra Gamechanger 90 grain TGK) I also have a 870 12 gauge with remington sluggers(2.75 1oz, and federal power shok 2.75 1oz sabot slugs with rifled choke) I also have red dot to mount on it. Which would be better? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:04 PM
Spike

Can't help you on VA hunting since I'm in FL but either of the guns you mention will get the job done very well. Which is better? Depends on the terrain you are hunting. Thick stuff is more conducive to using the 870 (may want a slug backed up with 00 buck rounds). More open area use the 243. Just my opinion. Hope someone pipes up and helps you out with specific areas up there. Good luck!
Old 11-12-2020, 07:55 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by David2018
Can't help you on VA hunting since I'm in FL but either of the guns you mention will get the job done very well. Which is better? Depends on the terrain you are hunting. Thick stuff is more conducive to using the 870 (may want a slug backed up with 00 buck rounds). More open area use the 243. Just my opinion. Hope someone pipes up and helps you out with specific areas up there. Good luck!
Thanks for replying. Which 243 round would be better? The 100 grain at 2960fps or the sierra 90 grain at 3200? And where do I shoot them in the vitals (ex. behind shoulder, shoulder, etc...) i know heart/ lung shots are preferred. Sorry for all the questions. Never hunted hogs in my life. We have a few over by the dismal swamp/coast area, but to my knowledge there's no places over there to hunt them. All private land or hunt clubs who have waiting lists that can take YEARS to get on over there (I don't know ANYONE over there so not much chance of getting permission for a lease or joining a hunt club hence why I'm looking for public land) and the DWR don't disclose where they're at so we can hunt them.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

DWR won't disclose where they're at? WTH!!! Are they a bunch of anti-hunters??
Old 11-12-2020, 11:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by elkman30
DWR won't disclose where they're at? WTH!!! Are they a bunch of anti-hunters??
They won't release they're locations because of privacy reasons for landowners.
Look on Va DWR website and look up feral hogs. Click on the first link.

Last edited by Whitetailturkey01; 11-12-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:52 AM
Spike

Not real knowledgeable on the 243, I have a 270. Prefer to shoot them right behind the ear; nothing can take a brain shot and walk away. As for vitals, hog vitals are further down than most people realize; not up high like a deer. Check out YouTube for some vids on vitals and actual hunts. Hope this helps.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree, I have shot about 20 hogs and only one I took a behind the shoulder because it was getting dark and the hog was quartering away from me. I normally shoot behind the ear of the neck. The vitals of a hog are further front behind the shoulder than a deer or elk and if you are not careful you will just wound them. In addition boars have a shield over the front shoulder and on a big boar hog I would not even consider a shoulder shot especially with a .243. I understand that Dismal Swamp in VA has hogs.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-13-2020 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I agree, I have shot about 20 hogs and only one I took a behind the shoulder because it was getting dark and the hog was quartering away from me. I normally shoot behind the ear of the neck. The vitals of a hog are further front behind the shoulder than a deer or elk and if you are not careful you will just wound them. In addition board have a shield over the front shoulder and on a big boar hog I would not even consider a shoulder shot especially with a .243. I understand that Dismal Swamp in VA has hogs.
That's what I've heard to. The problem as mentioned before, is that I don't know anyone over there, so not sure how anyone would feel about a complete stranger knocking on they're door. Plus I've never hunted public land before and don't know if there's any that has hogs. That's why I would prefer to find public land in NC or Northern SC that has hogs. As for firearms I guess it would give me and excuse to buy a new rifle😂😂. What are some good hog rounds. I've heard that 308 is a good round(been wanting one anyway) If I find public land in a shotgun only county what 12 gauge rounds should I use? As mentioned I have 2.75 1 oz rifled slugs and some Federal Power-Shok 2.75 1 oz sabot slugs. I do have a rifled choke and a red dot.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

.308, 30-06, most of the 30 caliber rounds. I use a 45-70. Do not be afraid to knock on doors and ask permission. If a land owner has hogs , they have a problem, many are glad to have someone remove the problem. A question unasked is an answer unknown. All they can do is say no! they won't eat you and you might make a friend or two that will allow you to hunt other species. Just show up looking presentable, clean clothes, shaved, hair combed etc. Do not knock on the door wearing hunting clothes. Also a good idea is to have your name address and phone number written on a piece of paper to give to each land owner you contact.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-13-2020 at 01:13 PM.