Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 To many Hogs, Texas hill country >

To many Hogs, Texas hill country

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

To many Hogs, Texas hill country

Old 11-10-2003, 02:31 PM

Default To many Hogs, Texas hill country

If hog scat were gold I could retire. I am seeing more and more hog sign/damage and hardly ever actually see any. Saw a huge boar 400/500 pounds while scouting a few weeks before opening Whitetail season. Need some ideas on best time to sit at night etc. can use night vision and red spot lights but don' t want to spend all night waitin. Have also seen the big traps but would enjoy the hunt much more.

Educate me.

Old 11-10-2003, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To many Hogs, Texas hill country

Go to Texasboars.com for a trough-load of info.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:06 PM

I haven' t hunted hogs much but I would think that a full moon would be the best time. Hunting the hill country you would probably do best putting out corn out at under the moon or just before it comes up.

Good Hunting
Old 11-16-2003, 12:42 AM
Spike

If you are going to try to catch them over some type of feed at random, try some soured grain. They can smell it from a distance and will come to it whereas they would have to most likely stumble across the corn in the dark to stop and eat. You can use a regular beam as well with no filter lens, as soon as you see one though turn the light out and get ready to shoot, and as soon as you are ready to find them in your sights, scope, etc. turn the light back on and shoot quick. Also, if you prefer and have a place to do it on PRIVATE property you can drive around with your light. Food plots and large grain fields are a great place to find them, but be sure to do like I said above when you see one. Lights off quick and only back on when you are ready. BTW If you plan to be out at night with a light be sure and let your local game warden know what you are up to. Good luck
Old 11-16-2003, 01:57 AM
Fork Horn

the best bait is meat, they love it. try feeding the big bloke for a few nights, get him coming out undisturbed. good luck.