Public Land Hog Hunting in Florida

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Public Land Hog Hunting in Florida

Old 01-30-2020, 03:27 PM
Spike

Default Public Land Hog Hunting in Florida

Looking for some Guidance.

I will be in the Davenport area at the end of February and plan on doing some public land hog hunting with a couple friends. The current plan is to hunt an area none of us is familiar with, Upper St. Johns River Marsh. This is an area open to hog hunting during small game season and the plan is to use shotguns with slugs and buckshot.
We're all ready to put our boots on the ground and walk and we're not terribly concerned with shooting a hog I just want to make sure we see some.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Is this an ok WMA for hogs? How is access? Any suggestions on which areas might be better or worse to look at? Because we are all 3 coming from different areas, my thought was more towards the southern area between Rte 60 and the Fellsmere Grade. Any thoughts?
Old 02-01-2020, 05:03 AM
Spike

Wickham rd
Old 02-01-2020, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

I don't want to discourage others from helping each other. But I suggest if you're going to give away a good public spot to do it by PM. I have used public spots I've found on forums and have heard of many public spots ruined by somebody giving details on an open forum . As anybody can see this and it shows up on a Google search for "public land Florida hogs"

I don't know if that was a real suggestion/location. But I intend to look into it and so will lots of other people when they see it!

I encourage helping each other, but sometimes giving specific details is best in a PM. otherwise your spot could be ruined.

Or maybe someone you don't like hunts there and you want to ruin it for them? Could be.

-Jake
Old 02-01-2020, 01:33 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by josh_scott84
Wickham rd
Thanks Scott, heard same from someone else on another site.
Old 02-01-2020, 01:52 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I don't want to discourage others from helping each other. But I suggest if you're going to give away a good public spot to do it by PM. I have used public spots I've found on forums and have heard of many public spots ruined by somebody giving details on an open forum . As anybody can see this and it shows up on a Google search for "public land Florida hogs"

I don't know if that was a real suggestion/location. But I intend to look into it and so will lots of other people when they see it!

I encourage helping each other, but sometimes giving specific details is best in a PM. otherwise your spot could be ruined.

Or maybe someone you don't like hunts there and you want to ruin it for them? Could be.

-Jake
Jake, thanks for your response. I understand your concern about giving away hot spots but as I have looked at numerous maps and the such I believe the info given was only for access. If you look at maps and google earth, you'll notice the WMA described is large, drawn out in length and very marshy, I believe Scott was only sharing one of the easier access points which I appreciate and thank him for. It really sucks that hunters can't communicate with each other without worrying about someone ruining an area. And if anyone wants to let me in on one of their hotspots, please PM me.

Please understand me this response to your message was not intended to be mean or upset you.

On another note for the specific WMA I was able to get a nice map, not from FWC, but the St. Johns River Water Management District itself. The problem is it only gives me the northern section (from Rt 192 north); does anyone know how I might get a map of the southern section (between Rt's 192 and 60). I may just end up calling the water management district.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:31 AM
Spike

-Jake
Wickham rd is a parking location to enter the WMA. But thanks Jake for showing your true colors.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:58 PM
Spike

-Jake
Wickham rd is a parking lot. Let me know if you'd like a map as well
Old 02-04-2020, 02:33 PM
Spike

-Jake

So what did you find after looking into it Jake? The parking lot?
Old 02-05-2020, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you don't understand why Jake posted what he did, you are an internet scouter! Scout with your feet, not with your fingers!!
Old 02-05-2020, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
If you don't understand why Jake posted what he did, you are an internet scouter! Scout with your feet, not with your fingers!!
Some just don't understand.

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.