Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Public Land Hog Hunting in Florida >

Public Land Hog Hunting in Florida

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Public Land Hog Hunting in Florida

Old 12-14-2020, 06:54 AM
Spike

Worse than that, it was just the designated parking spot to enter the area.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:18 PM
Spike

josh_scott84
Its been a while since I've posted, but needed to thank you for some of the advice you provided me for last winters FL trip and my hunting experience at St. Johns River Marsh. Did no scouting except boots on the ground when we got there late morning on a Sunday. Was hunting with two friends, 1 in his 70's and not in the best shape the other disabled/handicapped. Feel like we walked a good 2 miles in, passed two hunters with rifles (during small game season, I believe not allowed, but didn't question), on their way out, they saw 0. We split up did some scouting and picked a location to meet at dark. One guy saw a doe, one saw nothing and I walked around a corner, in a very promising area, and right upon a small sow with 3 tiny piglets maybe 20 feet. Promised my self no killing sows with piglets, took pictures. All in all a great day were late getting out because of the long walk. Ended up locked in and had to call a posted number to be let out, they've apparently had problems with vandals. Good day with friends, priceless! We'll be Back!
Thanks for your advise
Old 01-24-2021, 04:58 AM
Spike

Sounds like a great day. Glad everyone was safe
Old 02-11-2021, 07:10 AM
Spike

Default Glad I found this thread

Reading newspapers one gets the impression that hogs are common. In reality hog hunting has been hyped. Local hunters don't want people coming and hunting on public land in South Florida.

Good to know!

Old 08-19-2021, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

Just my opinion and I know this is a year old but that stretch of the sjr is only good for aquatic wildlife and honestly I wouldn't eat anything that comes out of the water in this county. Especially the banana river.

As northerners build their communities closer and closer to the sjr, the wildlife have less room. Your best bet is anything west of the river. Unfortunately (or fortunately bc the land isn't being developed) is a private ranch but there are WMAs that are on solid dry land with lots of animals.

That said if you feel compelled to try I wouldn't recommend wickham to an enemy as the parking spot is ridiculously far from any decent hunting. You need a boat for that wma.

Last edited by HogFL; 08-19-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2021, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gotnotgun
Reading newspapers one gets the impression that hogs are common. In reality hog hunting has been hyped. Local hunters don't want people coming and hunting on public land in South Florida.

Good to know!
The state's wildlife commission has taken an approach that seems to be tied to tourism rather than extermination of invasive species. And the final section of statutes on gator hunting basically allows them to show favoritism to guides who are making a fortune off of the tag racket they're running.