HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Is this guy any of you on here? (Trail cam pic) (Croom) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/421992-guy-any-you-here-trail-cam-pic-croom.html)

Hereforthehogs 10-21-2019 12:09 PM

Is this guy any of you on here? (Trail cam pic) (Croom)

1 Attachment(s)
This pic was on my trail cam for 10/21 in Croom WMA. Is this any of you? If so, thanks for not stealing my cam

vapahunter 10-21-2019 02:29 PM

Why are you posting some ones picture without their permission? He is doing nothing wrong as you admit. How would you like your picture posted on variouswebsite?

Hereforthehogs 10-22-2019 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by vapahunter (Post 4363088)
Why are you posting some ones picture without their permission? He is doing nothing wrong as you admit. How would you like your picture posted on variouswebsite?

Relax. Just looking to see if he was on here to swap some scouting knowledge with. Not sure why you had to try and turn that into a negative.

vapahunter 10-22-2019 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Hereforthehogs (Post 4363124)

Relax. Just looking to see if he was on here to swap some scouting knowledge with. Not sure why you had to try and turn that into a negative.

No I will not relax. You should not be posting other people's picture without their permission or another legal reason. It is a negative. Want to find out who he is go to your stand and find him. If it had been me then you would have seen what upset really was.

Bocajnala 10-22-2019 10:36 AM

If you're walking on public land, you run the risk of having your photo taken.

You don't own the photo.

-Jake

vapahunter 10-22-2019 01:57 PM

I do own my image on the photo if it is of me.

Bocajnala 10-22-2019 05:00 PM

No. You don't.

Although I have a feeling that's why allot of cameras get stolen. Somebody realizes their picture was taken and feel some sort of way about it so they swipe the camera.

-Jake

vapahunter 10-23-2019 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4363175)
No. You don't.

Although I have a feeling that's why allot of cameras get stolen. Somebody realizes their picture was taken and feel some sort of way about it so they swipe the camera.

-Jake

You would lose in court on that statement. Agree on why they are stolen.

mrbb 10-23-2019 08:38 AM

your image is not your's if taken in a public place, sad but true, and its why them TV shows cops and like can film you, and or why all department stores and such can video you!
But HOW They use that image , can have legal sides to what all they can or cannot do with it!
but a trail cam pic on public land, OR private lands , odds are its the camera's owners pic, and will again, come down to what the image is being used for ,a s to what all can be done with it!

I agree many cam's get stolen due to folks knowing they got there pic taken, and most times IMO< its also they were trespassing and that increases the odds of them stealing it, as they don;t want to be known to have trespassed!

adding to reasons they steal them!

some I think just take them on spite as well,as poor manors and no respect for others property!

Bocajnala 10-23-2019 08:45 AM

I was going to type a response. With some case law cited, etc. But decided it's not worth the time. In short: you have no expectation of privacy on public land. It's not your photo. He's free to post it to his pages. He could even sell it under certain guidelines.

That's just how public areas work.
​​​​​​It would be different if it was in your home or somewhere where you had an expectation of privacy (a bathroom a dressing room a hotel room etc)
​​​​​​
Funny thing about facts- they don't care how we feel about them.
​​​​​
-Jake

1Beaver1 10-23-2019 11:04 AM

Correct

I can’t speak to the laws of all states but as a former DNR law enforcement officer in SC, I can definitely say that upon entry on any WMA land the individual gives up all expectations of privacy. In fact, all individuals are subject to searches of person and property at any time. Done many times upon suspicion of wrong doing.

Oldtimr 10-23-2019 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by vapahunter (Post 4363210)
You would lose in court on that statement. Agree on why they are stolen.

I think you better reconsider. Every day when you walk down the street your picture is taken by hundreds of cameras set up around cities and towns to help prevent and solve crime. If you are in a public place you have no expectation of privacy and you are fair game. Unless someone is making money with your image, you are SOL in a law suit. Then again if you are a celebrity people can take your pictures and sell them, think Paparazz.

Bocajnala 10-23-2019 01:57 PM

People can even make money. They can sell the images. Think of pictures of crowded City streets that get published. They do not have permission from the 100s of people in focus on those pictures.

Generally where permissions come in are when you're attaching a image to something specifically. In other words, I can't snap your picture on a sidewalk and then use it as a promotional for my toothpaste brand.

But just selling the image? Generally yes even that is fine.

-Jake

dhasemann 10-24-2019 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4363175)
No. You don't.

-Jake

These days with cell cams, stealing it to conceal your identity won't work. Its already photo'd you and put it on the cloud for the owner. Just a matter of time at that point.

mrbb 10-24-2019 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by dhasemann (Post 4363270)
These days with cell cams, stealing it to conceal your identity won't work. Its already photo'd you and put it on the cloud for the owner. Just a matter of time at that point.

well cell phone sending/email sending trail cam's have been about for 15 yrs or so
so there NOT new, BUT have gotten better
but your still stuck with the LOW odds of getting a GOOD photo showing the FACE and then being able to ID the person, and THEN proving THEY took it
just cause they got there photo taken doesn;'t mean they took it
I know it sucks to have a cam stolen, trust me I am out several thousand dollars from having them stolen over the yrs
but its still pretty hard to catch them in the act and PROVE they took one!

I still say trail cam's would benefit from having GPS tracking devices in them that you can turn on for a fee to track when needed!
the trail cam company's would make a LOT of money for this service IMO,

vapahunter 10-25-2019 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4363217)
I was going to type a response. With some case law cited, etc. But decided it's not worth the time. In short: you have no expectation of privacy on public land. It's not your photo. He's free to post it to his pages. He could even sell it under certain guidelines.

That's just how public areas work.
​​​​​​It would be different if it was in your home or somewhere where you had an expectation of privacy (a bathroom a dressing room a hotel room etc)
​​​​​​
Funny thing about facts- they don't care how we feel about them.
​​​​​
-Jake

Yes on his pages but this is a public forum. That is different.

sconnyhunter 10-25-2019 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by vapahunter (Post 4363367)
Yes on his pages but this is a public forum. That is different.

Its a PUBLICLY taken photo. Posted to a forum, open to the public. Its the same thing.

DJfan 10-25-2019 02:14 PM

Post the picture, chat with the guy, harvest a nice deer. Don't worry about the rest.