Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Is this guy any of you on here? (Trail cam pic) (Croom) >

Is this guy any of you on here? (Trail cam pic) (Croom)

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Is this guy any of you on here? (Trail cam pic) (Croom)

Old 10-23-2019, 11:04 AM
Spike

Default Correct

I can’t speak to the laws of all states but as a former DNR law enforcement officer in SC, I can definitely say that upon entry on any WMA land the individual gives up all expectations of privacy. In fact, all individuals are subject to searches of person and property at any time. Done many times upon suspicion of wrong doing.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by vapahunter
You would lose in court on that statement. Agree on why they are stolen.

I think you better reconsider. Every day when you walk down the street your picture is taken by hundreds of cameras set up around cities and towns to help prevent and solve crime. If you are in a public place you have no expectation of privacy and you are fair game. Unless someone is making money with your image, you are SOL in a law suit. Then again if you are a celebrity people can take your pictures and sell them, think Paparazz.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 10-23-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

People can even make money. They can sell the images. Think of pictures of crowded City streets that get published. They do not have permission from the 100s of people in focus on those pictures.

Generally where permissions come in are when you're attaching a image to something specifically. In other words, I can't snap your picture on a sidewalk and then use it as a promotional for my toothpaste brand.

But just selling the image? Generally yes even that is fine.

-Jake
Old 10-24-2019, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
No. You don't.

Although I have a feeling that's why allot of cameras get stolen. Somebody realizes their picture was taken and feel some sort of way about it so they swipe the camera.

-Jake
These days with cell cams, stealing it to conceal your identity won't work. Its already photo'd you and put it on the cloud for the owner. Just a matter of time at that point.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dhasemann
These days with cell cams, stealing it to conceal your identity won't work. Its already photo'd you and put it on the cloud for the owner. Just a matter of time at that point.
well cell phone sending/email sending trail cam's have been about for 15 yrs or so
so there NOT new, BUT have gotten better
but your still stuck with the LOW odds of getting a GOOD photo showing the FACE and then being able to ID the person, and THEN proving THEY took it
just cause they got there photo taken doesn;'t mean they took it
I know it sucks to have a cam stolen, trust me I am out several thousand dollars from having them stolen over the yrs
but its still pretty hard to catch them in the act and PROVE they took one!

I still say trail cam's would benefit from having GPS tracking devices in them that you can turn on for a fee to track when needed!
the trail cam company's would make a LOT of money for this service IMO,
Old 10-25-2019, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I was going to type a response. With some case law cited, etc. But decided it's not worth the time. In short: you have no expectation of privacy on public land. It's not your photo. He's free to post it to his pages. He could even sell it under certain guidelines.

That's just how public areas work.
​​​​​​It would be different if it was in your home or somewhere where you had an expectation of privacy (a bathroom a dressing room a hotel room etc)
​​​​​​
Funny thing about facts- they don't care how we feel about them.
​​​​​
-Jake
Yes on his pages but this is a public forum. That is different.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vapahunter
Yes on his pages but this is a public forum. That is different.
Its a PUBLICLY taken photo. Posted to a forum, open to the public. Its the same thing.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

Post the picture, chat with the guy, harvest a nice deer. Don't worry about the rest.