Fort AP Hill Hunting

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Fort AP Hill Hunting

Old 01-21-2009, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default Fort AP Hill Hunting

Hey Guy's

For the most part I have hunted Quantico ever since I could imagine but I have a guy next door that has got me interested in hunting Fort AP Hill he say there a huge bucks there and tons of deer I have looked into what they require for u to hunt on that base and it isn't to bad any body got any suggestions about Fort AP Hill is it worth it and compared to Quantico bucks how much bigger are they on Fort AP Hill and do you see more bucks on there becuase on Quantico the buck to doe ratio is all out of wack so any help would defiantly help me out
Old 01-21-2009, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Fort AP Hill Hunting

I have hunted both bases and I am not sure I would say that you will get bigger bucks out of the Hill, I have seen alot of the bruisers that come out of Mainside on Quantico as well as some that have yet to be harvested and will say that if did counted the number of mountable deer killed that Quantico is better than the Hill on average. I have seen some bruisers come out of the Hill and know that there are some super bruisers killed around the outskirts of the base but that place gets so much pressure during gun season that they get scarce quick. Take this with the fact that it has been a number of years since I have hunted on the Hill..probably 8 or 10 years. But have hunted Quantico in the last few years for archery.

Like I said these are just my experiences, personally unless it was my only choice I would stay off both,but I knwo I am fortunate in the amount of private land I have access to and that alot of people dont, hence the reason I am workign on a small club..maybe primative weapion only for this year.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:51 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Guy's

Interested In seeing some cailiaber bucks that are taken off of Fort AP Hill if there are any guys that currently hunt there and have photo's of bucks they have taken please may I see photo's thinking about hunting Fort AP Hill but wanna see some of the bucks taken of there and also does the base have a trophy wall like Quantico ?
Old 01-22-2009, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have hunted Ft AP Hill a few times and only saw does. I mean, good God, like almost 435,726 does!!! They walk right across the road in front of you!

But yet, they are so "educated", they just know when it's time for hunters to hit the woods. And worse yet... they somehow know what TA (training area) is closed for the day. (Example: Youget assigned TA 21 and then you don't see a F$*%&@ thing all day. But yet out of sheer frustration, you decide to pack up and go back to the game check station to see about getting a new TA. While driving around, you stop near TA 26 and check the area with your binos. The whole entire freakin' herd of deer is in TA 26. Why??? TA 26 IS CLOSED THAT DAY!!! [:@]) Sorry to be negative, but like I said, I've been to AP Hill and don't even bother anymore.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

A co-worker of mine has a husband that hunts at Ap Hill. He takes nice deer there almost every year.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

I've hunted AP Hill since 98 and have taken some nice bucks. The largest scored 144 and was shot the Monday before Thanksgiving. I've seen many many nice bucks taken there including the #6 (I think) state blackpowder buck. Gorgeous deer with drop tines. Many of the nicer bucks have been taken out of the controlled areas, where you need to either know someone to go as their guest or get on a wait list to take the test and do community service. I stick mostly to the training areas. The trick is to know several training areas, because your favorite one may be closed to hunting. Off the top of my head, I can list 13 different training areas where I've killed bucks. Another trick, as in any public hunting area, is to get off the road and hike in. From my experience, many hunters are affraid to loose sight of there truck. However, keep in mind that you must be checked back in by a certain time or you can loose your privlidge after being late the second time. This can be tough if you shoot something at dusk, find it, dress it and drag out and race back to the check station before it's too late. Sometimes you can check in and go back out to retrieve your deer, depends which provost marshall is on duty, other times the on call game warden will ****** you.

It's a good place to hunt if you do your homework and an excellent place to get meat for the freezer as ButchA witnessed with his 435,726 doe sighting....lol just kiddin Butch!
Old 01-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: UFunny2
It's a good place to hunt if you do your homework and an excellent place to get meat for the freezer as ButchA witnessed with his 435,726 doe sighting....lol just kiddin Butch!
I know...

AP Hill is the place to be just to get a deer for the freezer. Other better quality deer, you really really REALLY have to work for. Like I said before, the deer at AP Hill are very well educated. They know where to go, where you can't. They even know what time of day it is. Heck, they wear wrist watches, and even have a pocket calendar on them!!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:06 AM
Spike

I've been hunting at AP Hill since I was 15. We make the trip there every year for the first week of gun season. Lucky for me my dad is on the CA list or the SA list as it's now called. There are some monsters that live on that base. The biggest buck I've every seen was about 8 years ago close to CA 19. It's not uncommon for our hunting group to kill at least 4 bucks per week that will score 120 or better.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds Good I'm defiantly gonna try it out this year the onyl way to get on the SA list is to either do community service or know someone that important ? I'm a trophy hunter for the most part I'm looking for the 125 Inch deer and up range my neibor brother in law shot a 8 pointer out of there that grossed 170 this thing had 25 or 26 inch main beams and I wanna say that he shot it around the impact area like the high 20's and 30's Area with muzzerloader and I herd there was a 14 or 16 pointer shot this past season not sure if thats a rumor but defiantly enuff to get me off of Quantico and try somewhere new plus u got longer doe season Quantico is only 6 days tell me anymore info about the base deer hunting i'm taking it all in where are the big boys at 135 or better where should I start at ?
Old 01-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Spike

I friend of ours from florida killed a 16 point there this year. I missed the same deer three times with my Muzz. four days earlier. I think he only scored around 145. Believe he killed him in SA 23 and I shot at him in SA 26. Sa 26 is a new area they opened this year close to range 18.

Quick Reply: Fort AP Hill Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.