Greenswamp rabbit/hogs >

Greenswamp rabbit/hogs

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Greenswamp rabbit/hogs

Old 11-25-2018, 01:49 PM
Spike

Default Greenswamp rabbit/hogs

I do my field day for hunter safety December 6. I'm planning a hunt to greenswamp on December 11th-13th. I really want to go for rabbits (no dogs). I'll settle for hog but really looking to find out how the rabbit population is there. This will be my first hunt and solo.

I been practicing my shooting at the range like 3 times a week. Taking my 17hmr for rabbit and my 410 for hog. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Just trying to be prepared.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:55 AM
Spike

Hey there Rabbitseason. You're gonna be right at the start of general gun deer season. Not sure about the rabbit thing; you may piss off a few stand hunters if you are wandering around looking for rabbits. Be sure to check FWC Green Swamp rules for what you can hunt. Good luck anyway. May see a hog or two.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:10 PM
Spike

Default Powder Grade

I would try the fields on the powder grade. less stand hunters over there. Be sure to wear your snake boots, lots of cotton mouths up in the swamp palms. the critters over at green swamp are very nocturnal. Be sure to show up early and leave late.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by truthinthematt
I would try the fields on the powder grade. less stand hunters over there. Be sure to wear your snake boots, lots of cotton mouths up in the swamp palms. the critters over at green swamp are very nocturnal. Be sure to show up early and leave late.
Thanks that's where I actually planned on hunting, I been checking it out with Google maps and this app onx hunt.

Originally Posted by David2018
Hey there Rabbitseason. You're gonna be right at the start of general gun deer season. Not sure about the rabbit thing; you may piss off a few stand hunters if you are wandering around looking for rabbits. Be sure to check FWC Green Swamp rules for what you can hunt. Good luck anyway. May see a hog or two.
Although I am not gonna intentionally try to piss anyone off, your bound to piss someone off eventually. I plan to hunt the out skirts. But thank you for the reply, I have read the brochure and both hog and rabbit are legal to take during Gg season.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:37 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Rabbitseason
Thanks that's where I actually planned on hunting, I been checking it out with Google maps and this app onx hunt.

Although I am not gonna intentionally try to piss anyone off, your bound to piss someone off eventually. I plan to hunt the out skirts. But thank you for the reply, I have read the brochure and both hog and rabbit are legal to take during Gg season.
Good deal Rabbitseason. Hopefully you get some cooler weather once the crazy 80+ degree stuff passes this coming week. Sounds like u did your homework. Good luck and let us know how u do!
Old 11-29-2018, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

I've hunted GS for 20 years there are rabbits, but it is an extremely difficult terrain to hunt them in. Hogs aren't to hard to find there is a pretty good population of them. I hunted during Arch and seen 17 piggies in one evening.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:59 PM
Dominant Buck

I would not use a 410 for hogs..I shot one with 12 guage buckshot at 10 yds,,{ a 60 lb sow} ,and it kept running..I slipped in a slug and dropped it..when I cleaned it it had broken ribs from the buckshot..but the hogs have a thick shield on the side..most take a head shot with a rifle..

I sincerely doubt if you will find a cottontail ..I've hunted rabbit a lot up north but have never flushed one in the Green Swamp and I've hunted it alot..YOu can see them driving in sometimes but never in the daytime..Coyotes and bob cats live on them..as well as the hawks..Squirrel is good small game hunting in the swamp..but like my man said..deer hunters will be a little ticked off...and some get crazy..the reason I don't hunt Sat. and Sundays..

I now use a 270 for hogs...they drop instantly...In the swamp { For deer} I use buckshot 3 inch magnum...I hunt the THICK stuff..dropped everyone so far in it's tracks..by the Grace of God..never boast...every gift comes from God...For open range I use a 270 and for still hunting/ walking slowly through an area a 30-30

Also as my man said...hogs are not free...I heard many last season and saw zero...they are very smart..

Last edited by Chuck7; 08-16-2019 at 09:09 PM.