HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Va Deer Check In Question... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/419387-va-deer-check-question.html)

Whino83 10-12-2018 04:46 AM

Va Deer Check In Question...

I work very weird hours that vary. Today I work 8pm-5am. I worry on days like today if I’d happen to get a deer this evening at last legal light I’d never have time to get it out of the woods and back home and to make it to work on time. So if I would happen to get one I’d notch my tag, check it in, and leave it and get it tomorrow morning. But I plan on hunting tomorrow morning so does that mean when I hunt tomorrow morning I can’t shoot one because then I’d be dragging 2 deer from the woods even though each would be legally checked in for each day? I’d hate to get a ticket for dragging 2 deer out of the woods even though I think? I’d be legal in doing so. Any advice on my situation?

Bocajnala 10-12-2018 05:50 AM

Call and speak to your game commission and get clarification.

States have all different requirements for tagging and transporting game. Even different areas of each state can have different regulations.

Some areas require each animal to be tagged and removed from the field before pursuing another . Some don't require a physical tag at all.

If your regulations book isn't clear, just call and ask.

-Jake

vapahunter 10-12-2018 04:16 PM

You can call in your deer in Va and notch your tag. You can also, starting this year, check it in on the VDGIF app. If you do that do not notch your tag. Uf you do not have time to properly harvest your deer and remove it from the woods I would question why you killed it in the first place. Finish one harvest before going out and seeking another. If you are not sure you will be legal then do not do it until you are sure. That is my advice as a hunter in Virginia since 1992.

vapahunter 10-15-2018 06:25 PM

I found out today that if you check in online you still have to notch your tag and record the assigned harvest number on your tag. Found out while checking in a doe.

Alex G. 10-25-2018 10:19 AM

If you use the E-Notch method (online app) there are no additional steps required by the hunter. Meaning you don't have to also put the validation number on your paper tag. It's one or the other..
If you call it in, they yes you have to also write the number down on the paper tag.

toytruck 10-30-2018 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Whino83 (Post 4344267)
I work very weird hours that vary. Today I work 8pm-5am. I worry on days like today if I’d happen to get a deer this evening at last legal light I’d never have time to get it out of the woods and back home and to make it to work on time. So if I would happen to get one I’d notch my tag, check it in, and leave it and get it tomorrow morning. But I plan on hunting tomorrow morning so does that mean when I hunt tomorrow morning I can’t shoot one because then I’d be dragging 2 deer from the woods even though each would be legally checked in for each day? I’d hate to get a ticket for dragging 2 deer out of the woods even though I think? I’d be legal in doing so. Any advice on my situation?

You should have time to take it to a game processor I would think. That would be much better than leaving it till the next day cause the coyotes will surely find it in the night. I had this happen to a doe I couldn't find back in Jan. 2016, it was cold an called for snow, but didn't happen. I got back on the trail at first light an found her, but not before some varmit had started chewing on her front neck/shoulder area. I still took her out an cut away all the tainted area, but still lost some hamburger meat so not a big deal. Just an FYI!

Va coalminer 02-04-2019 06:12 AM

Don't know where in va you're hunting but here in wise county if you leave one in the woods overnight you'll just find hair and bones when you return
this place is crawling with coyotes and they waist no time stripping a deer carcass to nothing