Hanging feeder for Hogs >

Hanging feeder for Hogs

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Hanging feeder for Hogs

Old 03-24-2018, 06:35 PM
Spike

Default Hanging feeder for Hogs

New guy here so hopefully you guys cut me some slack.

I just acquired some land to hunt in central Fl that is private property. Scouted it last week and found good signs of hog in the area. I plan to hang a 5gal feeder to throw corn. I have heard conflicting stories about hunting near a feeder in Fl. Is there a time frame I must wait to bow hunt with a feeder out? Next question is there any tips to keep raccoons and tree rats of the spinner eating the corn before it hits the ground?
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:57 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DixieDuo
New guy here so hopefully you guys cut me some slack.

I just acquired some land to hunt in central Fl that is private property. Scouted it last week and found good signs of hog in the area. I plan to hang a 5gal feeder to throw corn. I have heard conflicting stories about hunting near a feeder in Fl. Is there a time frame I must wait to bow hunt with a feeder out? Next question is there any tips to keep raccoons and tree rats of the spinner eating the corn before it hits the ground?
Thanks in advance.
Welcome aboard. First off id suggest sumthin bigger than a 5 gal cuz ull run thru that corn very quickly prolly in 4-5 days if that. No there aint any time frame for huntin over a feeder. To keep tree rats out of ur feeder you need to buy or build a varmint guard. They sell em at any major retailer/online. Its a cage that goes over ur motor but still allows corn to throw freely. Id run ur feeder for 10 secs at dawn and dusk till u get hogs then cut it down to 7 secs.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:22 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info. I'm only starting with the 5 gal just to see if more showing trail cam. Then I will go to my bigger feeder.
Hopefully the tree rats and varmints have issues getting to the spinner after I hang it but I know they are crafty.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:51 AM
Spike

DD,
Sounds as though you're off to a good start. I believe taking hogs over feeders (bait) is ok. If you decide to try turkeys or deer when in season I would check out FWC.com to find out what is and isn't allowed. Good luck
Old 04-02-2018, 05:58 PM
Spike

I’ve had the same 5 gallon feeder for a decade. I only throw corn 1 a day for 7 seconds at night since they’re primary nocturnal.
As for hunting. Keep the wind in your face and you’ll be good.
You’ll get sat hogs but once you shoot them. They’ll go nocturnal. So if hunting. I’d hunt lightly if your wanting day hogs. Like shoot 1 a month. Which is not acceptable in Texas.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:15 AM
Spike

I will be mainly using a bow