Got a question about hunting on WMA >

Got a question about hunting on WMA

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Got a question about hunting on WMA

Old 08-12-2017, 01:10 PM
Spike

Default Got a question about hunting on WMA

Hey guys, I live in Florida. There are two or three Wildlife Management Area around my town but unfortunately their quota permit are sold out way much earlier.

But I really want to practice shooting in real wood, rather than in shooting range. In that case, can I shoot only target in these WMAs, but not any live animals? I mean without getting these quota permit.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

I am not super familiar with wma shooting but understand that a permit is a must on some wma's to hunt. Example: if you are drawn for a deer tag on wma xxx you may also be allowed to shoot a pig during the same time frame. If you do not have the deer tag you shouldn't be hunting. You may may be allowed punch paper on the wma during this time but you are not getting the brush experience desired.

Get a good 22mag and hunt hogs during the small game season.

I hunted a wma for the first time last year and saw 8 deer, 1 pig,and shot a 6 pt. This was in a single week of hunting.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:49 AM
Fork Horn

No. Only archery practice is allowed on certain WMA's at certain times.

What WMA's are you near?
Old 08-23-2017, 03:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why do you just want to walk around in the woods and shoot. That really is not safe because you do not know of there is anyone else in the same woods or where they are. Target shooting should be done where there are properly constructed backstops and at a place where the shooters are all standing at the same place and there is some kind of control. Wandering around just shooting at whatever is not a good plan, it is what a kid would do with a bb gun.