Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
1st year coming up >

1st year coming up

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

1st year coming up

Old 08-06-2016, 06:17 PM
Spike

Default 1st year coming up

ok you`ve never hunted deer before - i`m 66 yrs. young a dissabled vietnam vet - what is the first thing i should do - just bought a remington 30-06 - was told near where i live i need to be in a tree stand [ will travel so i don`t have to ] - i`m all ears - THANKS
Old 08-06-2016, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

First, I think you should find an experienced hunter to hunt with and learn from. Having a mentor who can show you the ropes and assist you in field dressing would a highly valuable asset, especially if you have a disability that might cause you problems in the field. Check with your state and local regulations to ensure whether or not you have to be in a treestand to in order to hunt deer. If you haven't already, take a hunter safety class. That may also be a good place to find a hunting partner, come to think of it.

Also, practice, practice, and practice some more with your rifle, especially from field positions you intend to use, not just from a shooting bench.