Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

NoVa rut?

Old 11-09-2015, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

Oh forgot to mention the he was broadside at 30 yards and my bolt passed through him but the bolt only had fat and brown hair not really and blood....He did not start to bleed until about 40 yards he was bleeding good for about 150 yards then it just went down to drops..
Old 11-10-2015, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm out in the mountains near Winchester. No sign of rut here yet at all. Not seeing much sign at all, very few deer, and hardly any gunshots. Haven't seen a buck yet while on stand. Weird, hope it picks up. Normally this time of year things are much different. Hopefully this little cold snap will get em going.

Quantico, too bad. The high hits are tough, but often its over the spine and they will live. Hope you see em again.

Last edited by WV Hunter; 11-10-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shot this bruiser cruising for does yesterday at 2:30 p.m. in Northern VA. He's def. rutting, neck was super swollen & he smelled rank. That's 2 wall hangers in the last 2 weeks & it's not even gun season yet. Seen 4 other deer that are between 140-160, maybe 165 in the last 3 weeks. Prob. won't be seeing them much longer... WV - I hear ya, talked to a buddy that's been hunting HARD in Marshall & he said the same thing. Nada at all, rubs/scrapes just in the last 3-4 days. Been seeing scrapes all over PWC & FFX the last 2-3 weeks & rubs for much longer than that.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Spike

Im in Fauquier and also hunt great falls va. And have been seeing lots of chasing and I was lucky enough to bag a nice 8 pt. Sunday. He was grunting behind a doe.

Last edited by Jc41; 11-10-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by coolbrze0
Shot this bruiser cruising for does yesterday at 2:30 p.m. in Northern VA. He's def. rutting, neck was super swollen & he smelled rank. That's 2 wall hangers in the last 2 weeks & it's not even gun season yet. Seen 4 other deer that are between 140-160, maybe 165 in the last 3 weeks. Prob. won't be seeing them much longer... WV - I hear ya, talked to a buddy that's been hunting HARD in Marshall & he said the same thing. Nada at all, rubs/scrapes just in the last 3-4 days. Been seeing scrapes all over PWC & FFX the last 2-3 weeks & rubs for much longer than that.

Man coolbreeze, that's a hammer! Congrats man!
I'd love to have a place in Nova... that is where the big ones are. Beautiful scenery in that first pic. 140-165... man I'd be happy with 100 right now!

Good luck guys.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Man coolbreeze, that's a hammer! Congrats man!
I'd love to have a place in Nova... that is where the big ones are. Beautiful scenery in that first pic. 140-165... man I'd be happy with 100 right now!

Good luck guys.
Yeah well... I ain't connected on one of them yet Just a nice solid 8 pointer & this guy.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by coolbrze0
Yeah well... I ain't connected on one of them yet Just a nice solid 8 pointer & this guy.
Well that one might not score super high, but dang it is a monster. I love that rack! Looks like a hoss of a deer too. Good luck on (gulp) a big one. LOL
Old 11-12-2015, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt Rockingham and Augusta and have yet to see a rub or scrape. I did kill a real nice 10 point Nov.3rd, my friend tells me he is now seeing scrapes on his farm, so they are starting up.

I watched a corn field till dark this evening an never saw a deer with all this darn wind. I hate hunting in the wind...deer don't move much either.

As I was leaving driving up the road there was a small rack 8 point in the road, he just went over in the corn field a ways an looked at me. Like Mike said hopefully the colder temps will get them moving again.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by toytruck
I hunt Rockingham and Augusta and have yet to see a rub or scrape. I did kill a real nice 10 point Nov.3rd, my friend tells me he is now seeing scrapes on his farm, so they are starting up.

I watched a corn field till dark this evening an never saw a deer with all this darn wind. I hate hunting in the wind...deer don't move much either.

As I was leaving driving up the road there was a small rack 8 point in the road, he just went over in the corn field a ways an looked at me. Like Mike said hopefully the colder temps will get them moving again.
I hear ya toytruck. I still haven't seen a scrape, and only a couple rubs. Last evening I saw my first bucks while on stand ...

I had a 4" spike walking along about 50yds away and all of the sudden he looks back and stares. He then starts to thrash a mtn laurel and is kicking leaves all over the place. I knew there had to be something. Out pops another buck about 40yds away... a 9-10" spike. The smaller buck laid back his ears, stiff legged his way over to the other and proceeded to fight him, and run him off. He was the dominant buck! LOL, all of 75lbs. The bigger one might have been 90lbs. I just sat there chuckling, borderline on crying. I swear, you can't make this stuff up!

Boy I love living in big deer country!
Old 11-15-2015, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Ok folks,
At last I see some signs of the rut here in Lovettsville. Last night about 15 minutes before shooting time is to come to an end, I hear a bunch of action coming down the hill. Leaves rustling, snorting, trees crashing...then there are deer everywhere. I see three bucks...not huge...but at least one was a shooter. I gave everyone a pass as it was so exciting...not to mention I have decided to take only does unless a really nice buck comes around.

I still have not seen ant rubs or scrapes! I dont know what to make of this season. Definitely one to rememer.

BTW, way to go Coolbrze0!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.