Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Bear Tag Seperation opposition... >

Bear Tag Seperation opposition...

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Bear Tag Seperation opposition...

Old 08-13-2015, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't read the dept's. reasoning yet, but I wonder if it's also to raise funds for elk mgmt.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
It sounds like a bunch of crybabies that just don't want to pay for a license that was an extra bonus until this change. If the license numbers aren't restricted and I don't believe that was in this change, then I don't see how this is a big deal other than paying more money that some don't want to pay. In this day and age you have to pay to play and if there isn't enough money coming in to manage a resource then the resource suffers. It sounds to me like a lot of people are just ticked because they no longer are getting a "freebie"!
It wasn't "free" up till this year the big license included bear/deer/turkey for one price. Now DGIF took out bear an made a new bear license just to hunt them. The price stayed the same for deer/turkey.

IMO the VA bear association was behind this trying to have more bear for their members to hunt. I'm sure a lot of deer hunters were killing bear while deer hunting, now it will cost more.

I won't buy the new license and now will have bear run over top of me...lol
Old 08-19-2015, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by toytruck
It wasn't "free" up till this year the big license included bear/deer/turkey for one price. Now DGIF took out bear an made a new bear license just to hunt them. The price stayed the same for deer/turkey.

IMO the VA bear association was behind this trying to have more bear for their members to hunt. I'm sure a lot of deer hunters were killing bear while deer hunting, now it will cost more.

I won't buy the new license and now will have bear run over top of me...lol
I know exactly what they did and I will reiterate that it takes money to run the Department. Cry all you want, but prices go up on everything and if you can't pay the few bucks to hunt a particular species then stay home!
Old 08-19-2015, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

you can loose the attitude....
Old 08-19-2015, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by toytruck
you can loose the attitude....
LOL! No attitude, but rather just telling the truth that you obviously don't want to hear or listen to!
Old 08-19-2015, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
I haven't read the dept's. reasoning yet, but I wonder if it's also to raise funds for elk mgmt.
Since when do they want to do any elk management in VA? When I was stationed there you could shoot an elk in the open deer season and tag it with a deer tag. Matter of fact I helped a buddy of mine take a fat spike out of his grandfathers hay meadow in Smyth County once.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Since when do they want to do any elk management in VA? When I was stationed there you could shoot an elk in the open deer season and tag it with a deer tag. Matter of fact I helped a buddy of mine take a fat spike out of his grandfathers hay meadow in Smyth County once.
There are still areas where what you say can be done. The
dept. voted on an elk restoration plan and it was supposed to protect elk for restoration in 3 counties. It looks like they have had to minimize their plans due to farmers and cattle growers in 2 of the 3 counties. So I believe the dept. will use those 2 counties as a buffer zone.I believe restoration is only going to occur in 1 county now. They also had the job posted for the elk biologist. Yeah, it's minimal, but maybe the farmers and cattle growers- I won't refer to them as ranchers. Don't know how big they are- will change their mind over time. Elk here used to be public enemy #1, but the commission is trying.
This change will be slow coming, if it doesn't fail altogether.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

PA had its growing pains with its elk herd. The farmers hated them and between them shooting them for crop damage and brain worm killing them the herd was going backwards and or not growing for decades. Finally it started to grow and today we have between 8 and 9 hundred animals. Between 1913 and 1926 159 elk were released in PA and there was a season from 1923 and 1931 there was an elk season. Season was closed in 1931 because of so few elk left. By 1993 the herd had built to 200 animals and in 2001 the first elk season obened since 1931 27 licenses were issued for a drawing. this year 21 antlered elk licenses and 95 antlerless licenses will be drawn and issued. As you can see growing an elk herd large enough to have a season takes a long time and a lot f problems come with it. Back in the 70s there was one PGC executive director who was so frustrated with the elk issues he recommended that what was left of the herd be killed.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was reading a large article last week which stated the elk are doing quite well in their established restoration area. The article also mentioned this genus of elk aren't having the trouble w/brain worm that formerly occurred. While I think the farmers may eventually accept the elk, the cattle growers will be the real thorn to elk success here due to their concerns about brucellosis. My take is that elk population growth will be beneficial.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

My guess is its all about money. Total resident license is now over $100 if you hunt deer, turkey, bear, ....rifle, archery & ML seasons. To me, that is a bit ridiculous.

I would like to seem them offer a sportsmans type license. Hunting and Fishing license, including all seasons & game - for one price. They could keep the a la carte type setup as well, some only fish, some only hunt small game, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.