In PDF here: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...ons-digest.pdf

Important info in the "what's new" section:
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...ations/new.asp
Old 07-10-2015, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

What do you like or dislike?
Old 07-10-2015, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

Effective July 1, 2015, the possession or use of deer scents/lures that contain natural deer urine or other bodily fluids used for the purposes of taking, attempting to take, attracting, or scouting wildlife in Virginia will no longer be legal.

Don't like as it is not based on any proven scientific evidence.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vapahunter
Effective July 1, 2015, the possession or use of deer scents/lures that contain natural deer urine or other bodily fluids used for the purposes of taking, attempting to take, attracting, or scouting wildlife in Virginia will no longer be legal.

Don't like as it is not based on any proven scientific evidence.
I haven't read it yet, but wow... another stupid rule change. It amazes me at what the DNR's from the various states waste their time working on.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
I haven't read it yet, but wow... another stupid rule change. It amazes me at what the DNR's from the various states waste their time working on.
When I read the new changes, I knew that reg. change would get a lot of attention. To summarize the dept.'s concerns, this is GENERALLY their reason:
Since CWD prions have been found in bodily fluids- that includes urine and feces- among others, and these natural lures haven't been treated,(not that it would help much in the case of CWD) there is the potential for(CWD) contamination. Consider that these attractants, whether purchased from or brought into VA. by hunters from potential CWD areas (that includes some areas of VA.), the Dept.'s concerns become more clear. The Dept. will still allow synthetic lure use. The more specific wording is, or course, found on the Dept's. website/publications.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 07-12-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

Lot of potential there and also a lot of "we believe: in the discussion on this regulations. None of the "it has been proven" or "scientific studies show" or "testing has shown". VDGIF is on some sort of program that they are not telling people and are relying on information from unknown sources that do not seem to have much basis on factual information. It would not be hard to actually prove that bottled scents can cause CWD in a herd. Just get one of the colleges like Virginia Tech to run a test and study on this and find out for sure before penalizing all the hunters in the state. this is worse than the bear license fiasco.

Last edited by vapahunter; 07-13-2015 at 05:06 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

I never had much luck with deer urine anyway. I mostly used cover scents like coon or fox. Stopped using fox due to the predator scent...I just use human blocking scent control sprays now, tagged out last year!!
Old 08-13-2015, 04:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

All states should outlaw the use of deer urine based scents and lures since they come from captive herds and captive deer herds is a major source of CWD and the prions are in the urine of infected deer. The prions from the urine that soaks into the soil lasts for years and is contagious to other deer. There are artificial urine scents that work as well as natural and there is no reason to take the chance of spreading CWD just so someone can use deer urine for a lure. And VaPa hunter, there is scientific evidence to that effect regardless of what you think. I wish the Commissioners in PA would have the courage to ban deer urine. Once the cat is out of the bag, you can't put it back in. An excerpt from Maine's report on CWS and the spread it below. I also posted the link for the entire report. Just one of many articles that says deer urine can spread CWD. One of many reports available. You can stick your head in the sand or you can be proactive.

Means by which CWD can be moved across state boundaries include the captive deer trade,
transport of infected deer carcasses, importation of contaminated deer-feed products, introduction
by contaminated deer products (e.g., urine), and overland movement of contaminated freeranging
deer. The nearest known CWD-endemic area with relation to Maine is currently
Maryland.
This assumes that depopulation of two captive deer facilities and liberal lethal
sampling of free-ranging deer has successfully eradicated the disease from central New York
before it had a chance of becoming 1% prevalent in the population after initial detection in spring
of 2005 (no CWD-positive sampling results since). It should take many decades for CWD to
reach Maine by overland travel from Maryland, but more immediate threats exist such as longdistance
transportation of live or dead infected deer, or products made from infected deer.

It is widely accepted that key to management of this disease is prevention; in CWD-free states,
agencies should take all reasonable measures to keep from getting it. Agencies must develop
strategies to minimize risk factors. Risk factors include captive deer operations, high freeranging
deer densities, inter-state transportation of deer carcasses, deer feeding and baiting, and
importation and use of captive-deer products such as urine. If these risk factors can be managed
and minimized, diseases such as CWD should be unlikely to be introduced to Maine from distant
locations.
Strict safeguards are the most effective means of preventing the introduction and establishment

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/hunting_tra...pdfs/LD445.pdf

Last edited by Oldtimr; 08-13-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:25 AM
Typical Buck

No one can factually show that deer uine or scents made from them help spread CWD. No positive study has been shown on this. I, and others, wonder why there has been none. Either there is no cause and effect found or they are afraid none will be found. Have the University of Pa or Virginia Tech do the study and prove once and for all if it does or eoes not spread CWD.

The regulation Va has implemented is pretty much unenforceable and will not stop the spread of CWD. Onder ho is behind it?
Old 08-16-2015, 05:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

By God you should be hired by a wildlife agency, you seem to know more than they all do and it would appear you are also willing to take a chance of further spreading a disease instead of exercising caution. There is no need to natural urine based lures, the artificial works as well. Quite the attitude for a a sportsman to have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.