HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Va.. Hows everyones season going? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/39970-va-hows-everyones-season-going.html)

eng40sqd 10-14-2003 02:14 PM

Va.. Hows everyones season going?

Well we are now in the second week of regular archery season here in the Old Dominion, and I was wondering how eveyones season was going so far..

My season... well it started off slow but then.. I have had some interesting and heartbreaking action. I will start with the evening that I sat in my stand and watched a very very nice 8 point feed over toward me then stay under my stand for awhile (under 10 yards at some points) presenting me with an almost endless amount of shots.. but I was holding out as there was a monster that I have been after for over 3 years following his trail and was heading right into my shooting lanes when he winded a group of does and headed toward them and decided he liked their company more.. go figure lol. Needless to say the 8 had gone out of range!

The heartbreak of the year would have been this past Sat. I had been on stand all afternoon when about an hour before dark a nice spike(very big body and about 8" spikes) walked out to my grunts and presented a nice broadside shot. I took it and listen to him run off and crash. I waited awhile go out and got my arrow which was covered in blood. I stepped off the logging road toward where he headed and jumped him... there was a huge amount of blood..most I think I have seen in one spot. I went out and called for my brother to come help seeing as it was close to dark and a long drag! Well he got there and it was raining by then. I trailed it for 2 hours in the dark in the rain .. he kept running a zig zag course. and lost all blood when it started to rain heavily. I went back sunday at daybreak with 5 other people and we searched until 4 pm and I only found one other spot colagugated(spelling?) blood and a few hairs... we did not find him.. I was sick to my stomache and still sorta am. I have lost a few others before in my 20+ years in the woods and always have felt bad. But this would have been my first bow kill so it was that much harder to loose an animal I know is dead from all the signs.

So anyway how is it going for you guys???

dpv 10-14-2003 02:26 PM

RE: Va.. Hows everyones season going?

have spent several full days in the woods, and have spent two mornings and an evening in there as well. Havn' t seen a danged thing. can' t believe my bad fortune. Saw some awesome rubs. really nice suff and set up right on em, but didn' t see the deer that made them. gonna take two or three days and go up to the GW forest next week or the week after.

David.

VAhuntr 10-14-2003 07:41 PM

So far I have taken 2 doe, have only seen two bucks but they would not give me a shot. That' s bowhunting though!

02bhntn 10-15-2003 05:16 AM

Opening morning I passed on a 6 and 2 3-pointers (club rules) ^6 points or better, but the 6 pointer was about 10" wide. Not big enough for me. Monday after work I swung up to THE HILL and was in my stand at 4:30 and at 4:45 I harvested a 75 lb doe. I hunted Fridany morning in Fauquier and at 0730 I harvested a 95 lb doe. I had another 6 pointer, a 3 pointer and a spike all within 10 yards of me when I shot her. This Saturday I watched a spkie and a 3 pointer for about an hour in a field Just as I was bout to get down to eas out so that they wouldn' t detect me I saw a massive 10 pointer enter the far side of the field . I knew he would never make it to me in time so I ease out so as no to spooke him at dark. Monday just passed I had a spike and a 5 and 6 pointer within 7 yards. Passed on all of them. The 6 wasn' t big enough by my standards. I guess you could say that I have had a great opening to the deer seasons. I will be out again tomorrow to try my hand at my ground blind location.

coolbrze0 10-16-2003 07:39 AM

I took a doe on opening day and have been out twice since then. Still waiting for this nice 8 point I saw last year.

bubba74701 10-16-2003 07:46 AM

Watched many deer passed on several does because I know there is a nice buck on this trail I have been watching .We have had seems like 10 cold fronts at least that is what the weather man calls them come through a week and not much cooler only windy.
That durn rain will mess up a good blood trail any time.Hope for the best next time.

o2bebowhunting 10-27-2003 04:54 PM

killed 2 bucks and no does. 1 of the bucks was 8 pt 18" spread in loudoun county. last week, action was slow. so far , i have hunted in loudoun, fauquier, fluvanna, buckingham and fairfax and prince william counties.

02bhntn 10-28-2003 05:04 AM

On wednesday past, I harvested a 165lb, dressed, 8 pointer that was 16 1/2" wide. On Saturday I watched two massive 8 pointers scraping in a field behind me. The fight lasted for about 5 minutes. I tried to get them to come in my direction but the didn' t, I ended up with a 90 lb, dressed, doe. The doe I shot was the 18th deer I saw that day. So far this season I have taken three does and a nice 8 pointer and now it' s time to bring out the heavy artillery.