Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Sunday huntung in Va >

Sunday huntung in Va

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Sunday huntung in Va

Old 02-03-2014, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by vapahunter
Which source would that be? Is it public for all to see or just rumour?
Sounds like a rumor to me…. They wouldn't be able to enforce that any way...
Old 02-03-2014, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

Which source would that be? Is it public for all to see or just rumour?
This came from a virginia marine patrol officer that is very much involved with hunting also. How true it is, i dont know. Just what i heard from him when talking about how our season went this year.
Flags- I know and understand what your saying about it. But what one group of guys do, doesnt mean all dog clubs are that way. I am a still hunter myself and i also hunt with a dog club. Where we are located we dont have to worry about still hunters and ruining there hunts and if so, and we knew they were there hunting, we would stay away that day. All the land around us if it isnt our land is someone else that we know very well and are also a dog club. Where i still hunt, there is a dog club that does the samething that the club does down there by you. They will pull there trucks onto my path and turn their dogs loose and then haul tail up the road and shoot the deer. Trust me, i know what your saying.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

I can't throw the name out cause if this is just a rumor, well you know how that goes.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default X2

Originally Posted by flags
Normally, I won't get involved when a topic veers off from the original intent, but since you have brought dog hunting into this and since it is commonly known that it is the dog hunters that have kept Sunday hunting illegal, I feel justified. Your above comments are the very reason so many do not like dog hunting. Bottom line, dogs disrupt the hunt of others and many dog hunters simple don't care. All they think about is their own hunt and not the hunt of anyone else.

I hunt Cavalier WMA every season since it is close to where I live and is convenient. The WMA sits right on the VA and NC line and like all WMAs, absolutely no dog hunting is allowed. The problem is, there are hunt clubs in both VA and NC that run dogs in the area and the dogs are always going into the WMA. For most the season, Cavalier is a quota hunt and when the dogs move in, your hunt is over since the regulations specifically state you cannot shoot a deer being run with dogs. Even if a big buck or a bear run if front of you when the dogs are active, shooting it would be illegal despite the fact the dogs came from elsewhere. In the eyes of the law, the fact the dogs are there makes such a kill illegal. So the guy that drew the quota tag is out of business thanks to the dog hunters!

I've actually watched the NC guys drive up to the WMA boundary and turn their dogs loose knowing fully well the dogs will be in the WMA in ANOTHER STATE in 2 minutes. When I've voiced my anger all they say is "Dogs go where dogs go". What utter BS since they were the ones that turned them loose on the boundary in the first place! The local warden hates the dogs but he says he can do little about it since the dogs are turned loose out of the WMA and the state has laws in effect that protect the dog owners better than protect the still hunters!

Now, I understand that dog hunting is a Southern Tradition but that does not excuse that one faction of the hunting community disrupting the hunts of others or stopping hunting on Sunday! Tradition does not trump proper behavior.
The last paragraph sums it up perfectly!!!
Old 02-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

Made it through the second reading without any amendments. Most hilarious session I have watched yet. Didn't know you could use lawn mowing to try and prevent Sunday hunting but one senator did. Also didn't know that some counties seem to have only one deputy. And I was suprised to hear that some Senators did not know you had to shot in the air to kill ducks. Yep all that did come up. On to third reading and possible Senate passage.

Last edited by vapahunter; 02-07-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Made it through the second reading without any amendments. Most hilarious session I have watched yet. Didn't know you could use lawn mowing to try and prevent Sunday hunting but one senator did. Also didn't know that some counties seem to have only one deputy. And I was suprised to hear that some Senators did not know you had to shot in the air to kill ducks. Yep all that did come up. On to third reading and possible Senate passage.
I wish more people could see and pay attention to how their elected officials have acted in the last few days. They use these tactics to try and stall bills when they know they are in the minority and things are not going their way.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

Barring any further floor amendment mischief designed to derail Sunday hunting, the 3rd reading will be voted on Monday and will be approved. The house bill will be sent over next week as well and will be passed because it is identical to the senate version. We will be hunting on private land next fall.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:52 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by saltflyz
Barring any further floor amendment mischief designed to derail Sunday hunting, the 3rd reading will be voted on Monday and will be approved. The house bill will be sent over next week as well and will be passed because it is identical to the senate version. We will be hunting on private land next fall.
Excellent! It is about time....However, I will not truly celebrate until the bill has officially passed and is signed by the Governor.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

If it only passes in one chamber after crossover on Feb 11 it goes to the governor. Someone said they heard him on the radio today saying he would sign it. But I agree it aint over until he signs it.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

Take a deep breath fellas...you will be hunting on Sundays in '14

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.