Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Sunday huntung in Va >

Sunday huntung in Va

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Sunday huntung in Va

Old 01-30-2014, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is my understanding that as long as you have permission to hunt, you'll be able to hunt on Sunday...unless the landowner specifies otherwise in the lease.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

As long as you have written permission you can hunt Yes.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

I always wonder why a person who really cares about their dogs would let them out to run anywhere at night. And then expect to see them the next day. They then say they can not understand why other property owners get upset with dogs running all over their property. After all it is not the dogs fault they can not understand property lines. They sure do love their dogs and take care of them ALL the time. It does make one wonder.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

While this is a good start, it doesn't go far enough. There is absolutely no biologically sound reason not to allow Sunday hunting state wide. Not everyone has access to private property and they have to hunt public land. And, if I'm reading this correctly, hunting on Sunday will still be illegal on public land.

Opening Sunday hunting in the entire state should be the goal! Does anyone really think a deer knows what day of the week it is anyways? Animals don't rationalize things like that only man does.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
While this is a good start, it doesn't go far enough. There is absolutely no biologically sound reason not to allow Sunday hunting state wide. Not everyone has access to private property and they have to hunt public land. And, if I'm reading this correctly, hunting on Sunday will still be illegal on public land.

Opening Sunday hunting in the entire state should be the goal! Does anyone really think a deer knows what day of the week it is anyways? Animals don't rationalize things like that only man does.
flags....it will be great to just have Sunday Hunting even if it's only on private property....but we need to take one step at a time......and after a few years go by and the public sees that the world didn't end because of Sunday Hunting on private land I think there will be a push to open it up to everyone in Virginia ......
Old 01-31-2014, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by vapahunter
I always wonder why a person who really cares about their dogs would let them out to run anywhere at night. And then expect to see them the next day. They then say they can not understand why other property owners get upset with dogs running all over their property. After all it is not the dogs fault they can not understand property lines. They sure do love their dogs and take care of them ALL the time. It does make one wonder.
Not trying to argue or start anything here cause this doesnt have anything to do with sunday hunting. But, Let your dogs run at night? Apparently you dont dog hunt or know anyone that does. I'm not 100% on this, but probably very very close. I dont think any deer dog owner can say they have hunted a day and have never had a dog stay out all night. It's definitely not what a owner wants, but you cant just yell and tell a dog to quit running the deer. That's what they are trained to do. I have seen dogs run for a couple days straight. Dogs chase the deer and the deer runs for its life, neither can read property signs or tell what property they are on. Thats an issue that will never ever get fixed. I also hate it when im still hunting and this happens, but nothing you can really do about it. Unless you move to a county or state where hunting with dogs is not allowed. It will never be banned here in VA. You can be on a couple thousand acres and its gonna happen, it doesnt take long for a couple hounds to run a deer a mile or so.

Ok, sunday hunting. The way I see this is sunday hunting issue, if you can fish and shoot weapons on sundays, why cant you hunt? I would love to be able to take my son with me more than just on a saturday. He just got a new crossbow and cant wait for bow season. It would be perfect for him to be able to hunt all weekend and learn the tradition.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

Yes I do dog hunt and yes I do know dog owners that let their dogs out at night to run. All else I hear are excuses for letting dogs run. Use of tracking collars and other methods allow many clubs to hunt with dogs and not have them run all night. And I agree I am not trying to start anything here on that issue just commenting on a previous statement.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

Yes you are right. No reason for it, but then again, look at all the outside field trails that are held all year long. I have heard from a source that so many deer have been killed since gps collars came out, that they might ban them on deer dogs. Talk about stupid if so imo.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

Which source would that be? Is it public for all to see or just rumour?

Last edited by vapahunter; 01-31-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ohboy
but you cant just yell and tell a dog to quit running the deer. That's what they are trained to do. I have seen dogs run for a couple days straight. Dogs chase the deer and the deer runs for its life, neither can read property signs or tell what property they are on. Thats an issue that will never ever get fixed.
Normally, I won't get involved when a topic veers off from the original intent, but since you have brought dog hunting into this and since it is commonly known that it is the dog hunters that have kept Sunday hunting illegal, I feel justified. Your above comments are the very reason so many do not like dog hunting. Bottom line, dogs disrupt the hunt of others and many dog hunters simple don't care. All they think about is their own hunt and not the hunt of anyone else.

I hunt Cavalier WMA every season since it is close to where I live and is convenient. The WMA sits right on the VA and NC line and like all WMAs, absolutely no dog hunting is allowed. The problem is, there are hunt clubs in both VA and NC that run dogs in the area and the dogs are always going into the WMA. For most the season, Cavalier is a quota hunt and when the dogs move in, your hunt is over since the regulations specifically state you cannot shoot a deer being run with dogs. Even if a big buck or a bear run if front of you when the dogs are active, shooting it would be illegal despite the fact the dogs came from elsewhere. In the eyes of the law, the fact the dogs are there makes such a kill illegal. So the guy that drew the quota tag is out of business thanks to the dog hunters!

I've actually watched the NC guys drive up to the WMA boundary and turn their dogs loose knowing fully well the dogs will be in the WMA in ANOTHER STATE in 2 minutes. When I've voiced my anger all they say is "Dogs go where dogs go". What utter BS since they were the ones that turned them loose on the boundary in the first place! The local warden hates the dogs but he says he can do little about it since the dogs are turned loose out of the WMA and the state has laws in effect that protect the dog owners better than protect the still hunters!

Now, I understand that dog hunting is a Southern Tradition but that does not excuse that one faction of the hunting community disrupting the hunts of others or stopping hunting on Sunday! Tradition does not trump proper behavior.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.