Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
VA Hunters, How is Blackpowder Season Going? >

VA Hunters, How is Blackpowder Season Going?

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VA Hunters, How is Blackpowder Season Going?

Old 11-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

Had one buck chasing a doe in late October. Killed a small buck a few days later (30th). Haven't seen many daylight deer since. Things have been really slow. There are new scrapes along the field line almost every day, but those are being made at some point during the night.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Slow in Loudoun Cty at my vineyard. Not really a shortage of deer since they scatter when we drive in, but they are not acting the way they normally do this time of year. Not moving as much. Less acorns, and the leaves are still on most of the trees. Perhaps the rut has not taken off as yet. Seen plenty of scrapes and rubs. I think we need a good freeze along with some nasty weather to get things moving.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

We've killed three whoppers, 9pt, 8pt, & a 6pt as well as two real nice 8 points in the last three days on my property. I'd say it's just starting. Hunting in Fluvanna.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Spike

Default a good season

I hunt in amherst and around charlottesville .got a spike,seen a bear friday. going back to amherst monday
Old 11-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Watched 3 doe feed on honeysuckle and green brier this morning for about 30 minutes. Hoped a buck would cruise by but never did. Hoping it will pick up by opening week of rifle.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunted from 6 till 10:30 Saturday ......saw nothing ...... Only heard 4 shots off in the distance between 7:15 to 7:30 .....
Old 11-11-2013, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

Saw a ton of dead does on the side of the road the last two days. That's usually an indicator of things heating up at night. Several people I know in my area have been getting skunked (seeing zero deer) for several days in a row. I'm not sure what the heck is going on, but what I can say is that they are definitely hitting the only food sources available. All of our bucks were killed in secluded ag fields or in the vicinity to one. Any Ag field is absolutely HOT right now. I'm fortunate that we have several clover plots, soybeans, and corn fields specifically planted for hunting on my properties. Usually, this isn't the case in Virginia as it is in other states this time of year, but all the deer are hitting the only food sources available. I can't emphasize enough that hunting the food sources in the evenings is a must right now. Odds are, if you're sitting in an oak flat in the evenings right now you're not going to see much activity….
Old 11-12-2013, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Saw my first 2 deer (does) yesterday morning since black powder started. 6 sits varied among morning/evening. Hope it picks up soon, hard to believe its mid Nov.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's picking up. Got one on Saturday (9 Nov) and two yesterday (12 Nov). Noticed they are starting to move a bit more during the day.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Spike

I've had a VERY slow season so far in southwest Virginia. I've hunted 8 days and have only seen 3 does total. I mainly hunt big woods, private, state, and federal land.

My normal secluded spot on state land has NO sign whatsoever. There are an enormous amount of red oak acorns at this spot that are huge in size but I am not seeing much sign that they are eating them. The acorns appear to abundant at elevations above 3600 feet.

I might have to change tactics and hunt some of the over-hunted field areas down low and hope for a dumb buck to not get shot and walk past me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.