South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Quantico 8B

Old 11-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Spike

Default Quantico on opening Deer firearms week?

Hey guys, I'll apologize in advance for hijacking this thread, but the few of you replying above seem to know the quantico routine.
This year will be my first year hunting at quantico. (I am stationed in DC). I have already done the paperwork, and begun a little scouting.
Here is my question:
What is opening day/ week of firearms Deer season like? I mean, are there spots available for AD, or do all the spots just fill up right away, before the non-base AD get a chance (at 1230)?
/
What are the least likely areas to be remaining by the time the 1230 group gets a chance to register? (I'd rather not waste too much time scouting the spots that fill up super quick).
/
Your feedback is appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:59 AM
Spike

Well, 8B turned out to be a waste of a perfectly good opportunity to sleep in. By all the MRE trash, looks like there's been quite a few people in there just recently and the large field off the 8A/8B trail has been cut.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

07BUCKSHOT,

Okay let me answer tese Questions I know the Quantico rountine very well and the past 4-5 years they have been doing a 9 Day War Games that falls around Opening Day Gun Season it seems every year this year it falls Friday Nov 16th and going through Nov 27th the day before thanksgiving this will effect the entire base mostly all the "Gun Areas" will be closed and "Bow Areas" will remain open such as 7C,5C,6C,5B and Mainside Parking Areas 1-8 the few Gun Areas open will vary but most likely it will be 6B,and 17A or 17B and probably 16G again this is not definte but it seems during the War Games they keep these areas open for hunting becuase they don't fall into the "Shoot Perimeter Area" which makes them safe to hunt.

Nov 16th Firearms Opener is tricky it really all depends on how many areas they have open if you are Active Duty then you will normally allows get in most of the time becuase you get first selection on passes. It goes (1) Green Card (2) Blue Card (3) Card Brown

This year with the Rut being late Gun Season will be packed with guys taking Vacation and Gun Season brings alot more hunters to the woods which means less passed free honestly if you don't mind bow hunting I would stick to the Bow Areas they allow you to have free Does (DMAP) and the bucks are "Sometimes" larger in these areas.

You will learn very fast that there are Areas that stay open most of the hunting season just study the map and notice which areas are open all the time you hunt and scout those becuase they are typicall open the same way every year unless there is some super training going on. Also you will learn that the Holidays "Veterans Day" "Thanksgiving" will open up most of all the Areas that are normally closed and open them base wide such as 14B,12A,11A,8A, these areas are normally only open during Holiday Season or on rare occasional Saturdays but very rare.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

Update I hunted Friday and Saturday and I saw 2 does and a 6 pointer I passed just wasn't big enough the bucks seem to be moving alittle bit more during daylight around 8:30 to 10:30 is when I'm seeing alot of deer movement they are defiantly browsing leaves and sat and watched a Doe Saturday for 30 minutes in front of my tree it was about 30 degrees was hoping Big Daddy would walk out but never happened.

That's okay there is some cold weather moving in this week I defiantly think this is the week to see the Big Bucks on Quantico...Good Luck to everyone
Old 11-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Spike

There's the part I need to fill in...scheduled training. That will give me a good idea as to where the deer are being pushed during October and November.

I saw a wall-hanger the second day I hunted, but not much since then other than a couple of does and yearlings.

Question for ya. Do they still allow does to be taken during gun season in DMAP areas?

I'll probably hunt tomorrow, although not sure if I'll go up a tree or go in deep to see what I can see.

Good luck!
Old 11-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Spike

The Administrator for the QRGC posted on that Forum that it looks like Quantico will be wide open for opening day gun season. Should be a good time!!
Old 11-11-2013, 05:06 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the good replies.
I read the regs, and I understand that hunting is prohibited within 200m of paved roads. With all the gravel roads, that makes for many easily accessible areas, just off the gravel.
I have some spots scouted, with plans to bypass the spots if I see a vehicle parked nearby as most spots have a pretty obvious/ natural access point. (I am assuming this is the typical etiquette of MCBQ)
I also saw in the regulation that: Hunters are allowed to "arrive at and enter hunting areas no sooner than 0400".
In practice, how is this regulation applied? Does this mean you can park you truck, but not leave it before 0400?
Old 11-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Spike

Buckshot I think your over thinking it. Don't know why the heck you want to be there at 0400 but opening day of gun your more important issue would be to get an area and if possible pickup your pass on Friday so you don't have to deal with it Saturday am. Those who didn't get passes will probably be lining up by 0400. I wouldn't sweat cars parked at obvious entry spots either. Some areas have a limited number of good access points and multiple cars will park there. If you're not the first to the spot you wanted you'll get waved off. Just be courteous and find another spot. I've run into a lot of guys that have been hunting Quantico for years and have even had a couple point me to a decent spot when going to a new area. Get an area, get there early, be polite and have a good time.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:26 AM
Spike

Well guys, after what I saw or didn't see yesterday, I think the issue will be finding the does more than avoiding other hunters. Very little fresh sign. I don't mind not seeing deer during the daylight this time of year, but not seeing dear sign is a bit concerning.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

I agree the Deer sign is very confusing normally there are rubs and scrapes the Does are hard to find becuase they are all by the roads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.