Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Hunting in and around Richmond, Va >

Hunting in and around Richmond, Va

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Hunting in and around Richmond, Va

Old 10-23-2013, 06:10 AM
Spike

Default Hunting in and around Richmond, Va

Hi all, im an experienced bow/rifle hunter that recently relocated from MO, to RVA. New to the forum and new to the area!

Im looking for some private land leads or just some hunting buddies in general. Can't seem to find anyone who's hunting season isn't just going out with a gun on thanksgiving weekend around here.

Anyways. I've been down to the Powhatan WMA with some success, but that seems like the only public option relatively close to RVA. Any advice or tips would be much appreciated. Im in it more for the meat than anything so hunting does is A OK for me.

Last edited by sp4ceb4con; 10-23-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Greetings from Richmond too!

Powhatan and Amelia WMA's are the closest public land areas to Richmond. There is also the Cumberland State Forest (just past Powhatan) that is also pretty decent.

First and foremost - let me get this off my chest:

THERE IS NO HUNTING ON SUNDAY IN VIRGINIA!

PUBLIC LAND WMA'S ARE GOING TO BE WICKEDLY PACKED ON SATURDAY!

PEOPLE RUN HOUND DOGS DURING FIREARM/DEER SEASON EAST OF THE BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAINS. (If you still hunt and/or quietly sit by yourself up in a treestand, your hunt will probably get ruined by packs of hound dogs running amok).

The best advice I can give is to try to talk to someone who might know someone that has a small parcel of land that you could hunt on, or knows someone in a club that you could join. Sorry, I can't be of much help. I am a discouraged, disillusioned, hunter who has given it up here in this $*@#& state and hunts out of state now back home in upstate New York.

Another piece of advice it to try to arrange a longer drive/longer trip out to the other side of the Blue Ridge Mts, out to the George Washignton & Jefferson National Forests. It is massive out there and very very spread out. You can get so far away from the crowds that you'll feel like you have all 1.8 million acres all to yourself. There are some monster deer in there, but you have to hike in quite a ways to find them.

Good luck!
Old 10-23-2013, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

Hunting around Richmond is mostly clubs that use dogs. Powhatan WMA is not the only one. There is supposedly some open hunting areas at Pocohantas State Park so check with them also. Look at the VDGIF site and see what other WMA and state parks might work for you. Also many go to Fort AP hill and hunt there but that takes a little research and planning due to rules and regulations. There are also quota hunts each year but I think you are a little late to apply this year. Good luck on finding a place to hunt. You do know, of course, that you can not hunt on Sunday in Virginia. For now at least.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try Craigslist Richmond ...click on for sale...then scroll down to sporting and click on it....then type in hunting clubs...hunt club ect in the search box....lots of clubs...both dog and still hunting.....hope this helps.....good luck and safe hunting.....
Old 10-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Spike

Thanks for the help guys. Im actually originally from Roanoke. So Jeff National is all to familiar for me.

Yes, its stupid that there is no Sunday hunting as of now. :-/

Looking into some leads I've gotten over the weekend. It seems no one i know knows any farmers that just need some deer management.

The military bases are a great idea. Just need some private land! For all my "sportsman" hobbies!
Old 10-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Spike

You can also thank the dog running associations for lack of Sunday hunting...
Old 10-25-2013, 06:18 AM
Spike

Even out here in the corner of W Hanover/Goochland/Louisa Im running out of land too. Ive had a lease on 100 acres of really good land where I harvested several nice bucks during archery, muzzleloader, and firearms season but the local clubs are now flashing more cash than us individuals can afford to pay for these kinds of leases. Mine was even through a neighbor, but he said that they had offered a ton of money after they found out I had spent 2 years planting 2 acres of plots, managed bedding areas, and kept it "safe" for the deer from surrounding clubs.

Call it spoiled rotten, but I cant get into clubs in this area, because they are just not like you can go when you want, where you want, hang stands where you want without getting permission and standing the chance of other members using my stuff. When I hang a stand, its usually from scouting, and my equipment is expensive, hung high with ladder sticks, and hate when people feel free to just use my stuff without even a call for permission.

I have a few connections who own farms, like the 1000 acres across the street of soybean and standing corn who will let me and a few buddies get into a tree now and then, and some buddies have family owned land. Send me your digits and I will get in touch and let you know when an opportunity comes up.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Spike

Yea, some of the clubs can get annoying. Some friends of mine are proposing purchasing some land within 30-45 mins to manage some game on, just to prevent some of the issues your talking about with joining clubs etc.

Glad to know I'm not the only one hurting for a place to go when the season comes around.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Eyedr
You can also thank the dog running associations for lack of Sunday hunting...
Bingo!!

You can also thank Del. Lee Ware and his cronies on the ACNR. They "kill" every single type of Sunday hunting bill, year after year after year after year...
Old 10-27-2013, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

How far are you willing to drive? If you're willing to drive an hr or hr and a half you can hunt Rappahannock NWR. I've taken several nice bucks off the Wright Unit of Rappahannock. It's a quota hunt so you probably can't hunt it until next year but it is an option.

As others have noted you could also hunt Fort A.P. Hill. It's also an hr or so away. I've killed a lot of deer on that base. I've killed a bunch on Fort Pickett as well but Pickett would be farther to drive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.