Deer dogs ruining bow season >

Deer dogs ruining bow season

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Deer dogs ruining bow season

Old 10-25-2013, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hardwoodhank
All this bragging of heritage, and how long its been in VA, is cool history, but it doesn't make up for ethics and sportsmanship...much less common courtesy.
EXACTLY......Well said hardwoodhank.....
Old 10-25-2013, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by brewman555
EXACTLY......Well said hardwoodhank.....

well said
Old 10-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

Trying to turn thus into a debate about still hunters and dog huntrrs does not address the OP's problem. The disrespect to him and his property be fellow hunters is his problem. Arrogant dog owners who feel they can let their dogs roam anywhere and anytime is a huge issue in Virginia. Until ALL hunters learn respect and honor all forms of hunting this will remain a problem. Any dog owner who lets his dogs run on any hunting land during non dog hunting times is disrespectful of others and is nothing but a rogue uncontrolled selfish sportsman. Has nothing to do with still hunters who are not perfect BUT do not cause the problsm this OP is trying to address.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vapahunter
Trying to turn thus into a debate about still hunters and dog huntrrs does not address the OP's problem. The disrespect to him and his property be fellow hunters is his problem. Arrogant dog owners who feel they can let their dogs roam anywhere and anytime is a huge issue in Virginia. Until ALL hunters learn respect and honor all forms of hunting this will remain a problem. Any dog owner who lets his dogs run on any hunting land during non dog hunting times is disrespectful of others and is nothing but a rogue uncontrolled selfish sportsman. Has nothing to do with still hunters who are not perfect BUT do not cause the problsm this OP is trying to address.
No, I'm merely pointing out not all dog hunters are rogues. You go west of the "dog line" and talk to landowners and see how disrespectful they feel still hunters are and report back what you find. In many parts of our state and country hunters in general are perceived as rogues by the non hunting public. I bet most non hunters don't know the difference between still hunting and dog hunting, especially outside the south.

You do make a valid point that I agree with 100%. All hunters need to stick together and clean our acts up. Otherwise we will continue to destroy ourselves from within.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 10-26-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've had several hunts ruined by dog hunters at Cavalier WMA in Chesapeake. The WMA butts right up against the NC line and I've personally watched the NC guys drive up to the state line and turn dogs loose. According to the game warden for the area, the club the NC guys belong to only have about 100 acres so they run the dogs in Va.

The problem is, Cavalier doesn't allow dog hunting so when the hounds go through even if they put a buck or a bear up, you can't legally shoot it! So when the dogs get turned loose, your day of hunting is over. The game warden says there is little he can do about it since they turn the dogs loose in NC and the dogs don't understand things like boundaries.

I don't have an issue with someone running dogs on private land, but when they disrupt someone's hunt that is a different story. On a side note, I've had several game wardens tell me that it is the dog hunters and the politicians they pay off that have kept Sunday hunting illegal in VA. Don't know if it is true or not but I've heard it from several different wardens.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

It is true. Mainly it is the Farm Bureau and the Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance Board of Directors who are preventing hunters from padticipating on Sunday. The sad part about it is that the VaHDA can hunt on Sunday. Yet they stop all other hunters from hunting.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
I've had several hunts ruined by dog hunters at Cavalier WMA in Chesapeake. The WMA butts right up against the NC line and I've personally watched the NC guys drive up to the state line and turn dogs loose. According to the game warden for the area, the club the NC guys belong to only have about 100 acres so they run the dogs in Va.

The problem is, Cavalier doesn't allow dog hunting so when the hounds go through even if they put a buck or a bear up, you can't legally shoot it! So when the dogs get turned loose, your day of hunting is over. The game warden says there is little he can do about it since they turn the dogs loose in NC and the dogs don't understand things like boundaries.

I don't have an issue with someone running dogs on private land, but when they disrupt someone's hunt that is a different story. On a side note, I've had several game wardens tell me that it is the dog hunters and the politicians they pay off that have kept Sunday hunting illegal in VA. Don't know if it is true or not but I've heard it from several different wardens.
That stinks. Looks like the VDGIF could charge them with hunting without a license....assuming they don't have a VA license. I'd also consider catching the dogs and turning them over to the local pound like a previous poster stated.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

why do the dogs need to be in shape? the last time i checked, Va has a 7 week gun season. why cant they start "training" on that 3rd saturday of November? they should be in "shape" (whatever that means) by the 4th saturday. does a dog really need to be in shape to push a deer in front of you? sorry--i just had to vent. the deer doggers are why Va does not allow Sunday hunting..the dog clubs that i have seen run their dogs to death anyway.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

The VDGIF should look into allowing dogs to be used on only 500 + acres of land and charge a fee for every dog used....plus make the dog owners GET PERMISSION to come on PRIVATE PROPERTY to retrieve their dogs or be charged with TRESPASSING ....
Old 10-28-2013, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

Thought the reason for the dog pens were to keep the dogs in shape. Ever notice how some and I repeat some dog owners and dog hunters contradict themselves more and more as they keep talking. Just listen to the Chairman of the BOD of VaHDA talk sometime. You will be amazed what comes out of his mouth and wonder why he is still Chairman. And he is said to represent somewhere between 0 to 85000 hunters. In about 50 clubs. You do the math.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.