HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Fort Belvior Hunting Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/383254-fort-belvior-hunting-question.html)

QuanticoKidd 07-22-2013 08:46 PM

Fort Belvior Hunting Question

I haven't hunted Fort Belvior since 2004 and I know they have not allowed Crossbow use for regular hunters I was wondering if they have changed that rule in 2013-2014 season and do they now allow any hunter to carry a Crossbow of course he would still have to Qualify

vapahunter 07-24-2013 04:03 AM

Best thing to do is contact Ft Belvoir and get the regulations from them.

Alex G. 07-24-2013 11:09 AM

xbow

If its legal in the state it normally is legal on base as well.
In the Tidewater area, Oceana, Damneck and Northwest all allow crossbows.
Give em a call to be certain...

QuanticoKidd 07-30-2013 12:41 PM

I read the 2013-2014 Fort Belvior rules today and they still only allow Compound Bows on the Base in order to use a Crossbow you must have a Disability .....I understand that if they went to Crossbows they would kill alot of deer on Belvior but dang the whole Virginia State allows crossbow use I think this is a bad rule but hey thats probably why Fort Belvior has some monster bucks

Alex G. 08-01-2013 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by QuanticoKidd (Post 4069909)
I understand that if they went to Crossbows they would kill alot of deer on Belvior

Archers, killed 15,791 deer. The bow kill comprised 7% of the total deer kill. Crossbows resulted in a deer kill of 10,596 deer or 5% of the total deer kill.

QK... I'm trying to figure out your reasoning....

vapahunter 08-02-2013 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by QuanticoKidd (Post 4069909)
I read the 2013-2014 Fort Belvior rules today and they still only allow Compound Bows on the Base in order to use a Crossbow you must have a Disability .....I understand that if they went to Crossbows they would kill alot of deer on Belvior but dang the whole Virginia State allows crossbow use I think this is a bad rule but hey thats probably why Fort Belvior has some monster bucks

This kind of statement is typical of a bow hunter who does not want anyway else to be used to kill "his" deer. No way in the world would just letting people use a crossbow result in the increased kill of a lot of deer in any one place. Fort Belvoir probably has some monster bucks because of good game management in a controlled environment but apparently that does not seem to matter.

QuanticoKidd 08-06-2013 03:13 PM

VAPAHUNTER,

Actually I have been Bow Hunting Quantico for 12 years and they allow Crossbow use I would love to learn Fort Belvior but it's 2013 they need to allow Crossbow use especially since AP Hill and Quantico allow them I'm not saying they would kill alot more deer but its a proven fact people are more accurate with a crossbow especially if they are new to bow hunting...

Alot of people that have been bowhunting or are new to the sport want to have a longer season so they have picked up bowhunting but they don't wish to spend hours practicing or tuning there bow so they go to a Bass Pro and or Archery Shop and buy a Crossbow for $1000 bucks and have it unboxed and sighted in within 20 minutes and can kill deer that same weekend....

My Point is yes you have your "Die hard Compund Men" shoot I'm one of them but Fort Belvior has always been a pain in the butt and "Clicky" compared to Quantico or AP Hill ....The Reality is there are a bunch of stuck up "Higher Powers" on Belvior and they are not ready to allow Crossbows to the general public that's fine but atleast be honest about it becuase everyone knows that is the only reason they have not allowed them on base.

Quantico & AP Hill were both 50/50 on the idea when they first were legalized in Virginia but they both said at the end of the day Crossbows would bring in more hunters women and children and new hunters and allow for a 50% higher kill percentage ...Yes people miss that is bowhunting but todays crossbows are dang near a 12 guage shotgun in October .... As far a Fort Belvior goes they can do whatever they want but I will never hunt there again.

brewman555 08-07-2013 12:38 PM

Man ....I gonna buy a crossbow this year....all I have to do is take it out of the box....sight it in and then go out the next weekend and kill a deer.....
Crossbows must be DEER MAGNETS...
All this while i'v been using a compound bow....I just didn't realize it was SO easy with a crossbow....

QuanticoKidd 08-07-2013 01:44 PM

BrewMan,

I never said Crossbows where Deer Magnets you still have to hunt hard and scout but when that oppertunity is given I prefer a Crossbow over a Compound bow in 2013 shoot I even shoot a Compound a Hoyt VTec reguraly but I can center punch a half dollar at 50 or 60 yards with my Ten Point Carbon Elite XLT.....This is not a debate about Crossbows or Compounds period this is soley the fact that if it is Legal in Virginia then you should be aloud to hunt with it anywhere period if you have all state license and permits.

By all means this is not a Pissing match over which is better Crossbows or Compounds that is not a debate period they are both very good "IM" just 100% more accurate with a Crossbow from 0-60 yards with a regular bow I will only shoot max 30 this is not pertaining to any other Bow Hunters becuase yes there are plenty of Bow Hunters that use regular bows that can shoot 50 or 60 yards just fine

brewman555 08-08-2013 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by QuanticoKidd (Post 4071643)
BrewMan,

I never said Crossbows where Deer Magnets

That was my point...

When you said "sighted in within 20 minuets and can kill a deer that same weekend" ......you make it sound like its so easy that anyone can buy a crossbow and kill deer just because they are using a crossbow...
Like its some kind of a deer magnet...

That was the point I was trying to make.....