a funny thing happened on the way to the stand >

a funny thing happened on the way to the stand

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

a funny thing happened on the way to the stand

Old 11-07-2012, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default a funny thing happened on the way to the stand

yesterday morning I was walking to my stand and heard a deer jump up and run, or so I thought, another step and I saw a deer trying to get up. I figured someone had wounded it and it just couldn't get up. well I get closer and realize she is fine except that here foot is caught in the fence! I spent the next 10 min trying to get her free and dodging her other 3 feet. I was just about to give up and head back to the house for some bolt cutters when I decided to give it one last try. between my pulling and pushing and her pulling the fence finally popped and she was free. You just never know what you will have happen while hunting. That is one of my strangest for sure though. Maybe she will repay me by dragging a mature buck by the stand instead of the same spike and 4 pt I have been seeing?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

right on. coulda been meat in the freezer for a month er so, but compassion last forever.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

Not an easy catch and release! Would be good karma if she tried to rub a pesky buck off on you.
Good luck.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool story. Love it!
Old 11-08-2012, 05:15 AM
Fork Horn

Cool stuff!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Spike

5 shot, that is a great story. It will come back to you ten fold and that may a ten pointer Its always good to here about ethical hunting and hunters. Fantastic way to start a hunt. Good luck to you this season!!!
Old 11-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Spike

You did good.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know it was easy to let a doe go. In fact I never thought about anything else other than free her. I was thinking today though, what if it were a HUGE buck what would I have done. Of course my response would be the same, free him, but I am sure I would it would be tempting, but in the end I could never feel right about harming a trapped animal.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice. Been there done that, twice actually. Neither was while hunting, but while driving my car. We have alot of american wire fencing around here...its easy for them to go through the top level opening and get locked up. The last one I freed went about 20yds, turned around and looked at me...I guess maybe she was thanking me. Felt good to let them go, hate to see any animal suffer.

I've found several over the years on our hunting grounds that died hung in the fence...what a way to go.