Virginia Rut Watch 2012 >

Virginia Rut Watch 2012

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Virginia Rut Watch 2012

Old 12-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cpljbuck
DROX, Here you go buddy. I have been hunting for 26 years and this is the biggest thing I have seen come through the woods. I ended up goiing out just to move my treestand for tomorrow. Three bucks came through that were not what I was looking for with one buck tag left. Then this guy brought up the rear fifty yards behind the others. Today is a good day. What I am seeing now though is bachelor groups again. Deer were everywhaer. While I was cleaning this one, a bigger buck came within fifty yards. Good luck tomorrow.
With your report in mind and my experience this past Saturday, plus the other recent reports here, it makes for a very confusing analysis of the rut, indeed. I heard numerous times that the rut really started picking up the last weekend of bow season. That made sense to me because on opening day of muzzleloader, I tagged an 8 chasing a doe. Maybe he was a 7. I digress. On Saturday, I passed on a 6 and a spike that passed within 10 yards of my stand. I thought "bachelor groups". But then, posts by ADVWannabee (is that a semi-auto?) and cpljbuck seem to contradict the notion of "bachelor groups." Is this the second rut they are seeing??
Old 12-04-2012, 02:57 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
With your report in mind and my experience this past Saturday, plus the other recent reports here, it makes for a very confusing analysis of the rut, indeed. I heard numerous times that the rut really started picking up the last weekend of bow season. That made sense to me because on opening day of muzzleloader, I tagged an 8 chasing a doe. Maybe he was a 7. I digress. On Saturday, I passed on a 6 and a spike that passed within 10 yards of my stand. I thought "bachelor groups". But then, posts by ADVWannabee (is that a semi-auto?) and cpljbuck seem to contradict the notion of "bachelor groups." Is this the second rut they are seeing??
Indeed 7.62NATO. I even reported bachelor groups on this past Friday when I shot that 9 pt that I posted. However, the very next day, it was hard to keep up with the chasing that was going on. Mind you that this is in Fauquier County and I can't speak for counties south of me. The rut report on F&S showed peak rut with the winter movement moving in. One thing I did notice on Saturday is the front moving in. It has always been productive for me to hunt on the front side of a front moving in. It was warmer in the early a.m. than it was at noon. As much information that we all gather and try to understand these great animals, I think the unpredictablity is what keeps me coming back for more. You NEVER know what you are going to come across in the woods!!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

It wasn't that way down here. Saturday continued to warm. We have a 40% chance of rain tomorrow with a high of 61 (it was 70 here yesterday), and then the low tomorrow night will hit below freezing. I am going to hunt tomorrow afternoon/evening and Thursday morning. I hope to see a few does. I haven't been to Pocahontas to scout in a couple of weeks though, so I hope they are still concentrated in the same area.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

Cpljbuck,
Sorry for the slow reply; the stink bugs got me! Or rather my internet. It seems a stink bug got into a piece of my internet supplier's equipment and fried it! No internet for Drox for a few days.

Anyway, wow that was a really nice buck you took last week. And if I only knew that taking down a stand would result it a buck like that, I would drag my stand through the woods all day long! Well, I did go out last Friday, and saw eight does all by themselves!? I hunted both morning and evening; eight all day long! No mating going on, no chasing, no mounting, just eating the green grass. I think its this weird weather we are experiencing that has the rut freaked out! Both Saturday and Sunday's weather was beautiful as long as a person wanted to harvest their pineapples. But no bueno for rutting deer.

I'm thinking 7.62NATO may be on to something with the idea of a second rut!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

I took this guy on 12/1 chasing a doe in Lunenburg. I think this was the second rut. We experienced a lot of chasing on opening day of muzzleloader and I mentioned to my buddy on Friday that it was about time for the 2nd rut. Then the next morning this guy comes in grunting and chasing a doe.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:59 AM
Typical Buck

Good looking buck bowhuntr09. Congrats!
Old 12-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

Bowhuntr09,
Thats a nice animal. Those antlers seem tall. Maybe three times as long as his ears? How old do you think he is?
Old 12-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DROX
Bowhuntr09,
Thats a nice animal. Those antlers seem tall. Maybe three times as long as his ears? How old do you think he is?
Thanks! He was very tall. I have no idea on his age, I didn't even take a casual glance at his teeth. His main beams were about 22 inches each side.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Is anyone seeing any rut activity in the Stafford or Prince William County areas ? I hunt Quantico and it seems to have died
Old 12-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

My neighbor shot an 11 pointer this morning. I did not see it, however, other neighbors did and they were impressed. I believe, as the legend goes, the buck was walking by himself; no does around him.

I hunted all day and only saw a small doe bedding down near by tree stand. No activity! Last year my spot was "deer central" this year its a "deer desert!" Oh, don't get me wrong, there are deer around. Other neighbors are getting their's. It just seems that either my timing is all wrong or I got "the stink" on me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.