Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Virginia Rut Watch 2012 >

Virginia Rut Watch 2012

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Virginia Rut Watch 2012

Old 11-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Spike

Were hunting the GWNF for the second year for Bucks only and bear. For the second year in a row, we've seen nothing but prints, rubs and scrapes. Not a single deer or bear to be scene a anywhere. What gives
Old 11-30-2012, 01:36 AM
Spike

Drox, I hunt EAB as well. Two tags left. One either sex and one antlerless only. After that I may or may not get bonous tags, but I will only hunt until the end of January. After that I personally don"t want to shoot pregnant does that far along (which isn't much but still. Going out in the next hour or so. Check back in later to see if you got your doe.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:09 AM
Typical Buck

I got this guy on 11/23. He was trailing a doe and even mounted her twice while I waited for a shot. After I got him in the truck I had a larger buck come out the same way this one had, no doubt trailing the same doe. This is in SW Virginia.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heard some chasing going on yesterday as I was getting ready to leave my stand. Only problem was it was after legal shooting time.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Heard some chasing going on yesterday as I was getting ready to leave my stand. Only problem was it was after legal shooting time.
I was reading some other threads earlier. Guys in NC were saying that the rut is peaking right now. (i.e. bucks all over the road at night and chasing/breeding in the woods). It has been a long rut this year that's for sure.

VA
Old 11-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Spike

DROX, Here you go buddy. I have been hunting for 26 years and this is the biggest thing I have seen come through the woods. I ended up goiing out just to move my treestand for tomorrow. Three bucks came through that were not what I was looking for with one buck tag left. Then this guy brought up the rear fifty yards behind the others. Today is a good day. What I am seeing now though is bachelor groups again. Deer were everywhaer. While I was cleaning this one, a bigger buck came within fifty yards. Good luck tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Virginia Rut Watch 2012-7-jays-big-9.jpg   Virginia Rut Watch 2012-5-jays-big-9.jpg  
Old 12-01-2012, 06:24 AM
Typical Buck

That's a great looking buck. Bow or Gun? Congrats!!!

VA
Old 12-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck.

I haven't seen anything at all the past two mornings which is not uncommon where I am. Basically about this time of year - every year....they all seem to disappear. Good luck to you guys.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Spike

Thanks VA5326! For the first tiime this year I actually used my .35 lever action instead of my muzzy.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Spike

So an update in NoVA. Just when I though the rut was over, All day long there was nothing but chasing. I actually haven't seen rut activity this hard in two years. Bucks galore and does being chased.
As a side note. Extremly rare happening today. I actually had a game warden come on to our property. It was a great day. He was looking for poachers in the area which is great considering the issues we have been having out there. My buddy actually shot a buck and it went to another property. We couldn't find who owend the land so the game warden walked us on to help track the buck. We recovered him three hours later. Give it up for the boys in green!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.