Virginia Rut Watch 2012 >

Virginia Rut Watch 2012

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Virginia Rut Watch 2012

Old 12-13-2012, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cpljbuck
After boiling it I use a peroxcide solution form the hair dresser supply store. Its number 40. I'll try and remember to take a pic of it so you know what to buy unless you already know and have doen it before, then I apologize and didn't mean to offend you.
I still have to put this one on a mounted board, but i am going to do something different there too. I'll post a pic when I am entirely finished.
Never did it before....let me know what I'll need so I get the right stuff....look forward to seeing the finished product....
Old 12-17-2012, 04:31 AM
Spike

No problem brewmann555. Unfortunatly I had my fiances brother over this weekend form Sweden and didn't get anything done. All you need is the following:

A pot to boil in. I use one medium size pot just for boiling the heads. If the pot is too big, you will need to lay something across the top of the pot so that the base of the antlers don't get boiled. Don't stress if the antlers get intot the boiling water, I have never seen a coloration change, but you never know.

I use a stand connected to a propane tank to provide the fire to boil and I always do it outside.

As far as tools, I use a knife, a fork and a pair of pliers to pull off all of the meat and skin.

I have found that soaking the head in ice water and making slits in the skin, make the removal of everything on the skull easier once you boil.

Be patient. The process can take anywhere from three to eight hours just to clean the skull.

Once dried for at least two hours after cleaning and boiling, I ususally apply three coats of bleaching. Just go to a supply store for hairdressers or to the salon itself and ask for hair bleach. It's peroxcide and the number on the bottle is 40. Getting this stuff form the supply store is cheaper than the solon. Once I get the mount done, I will post a pic of the mount, on the backboard and a seperate pic of the bleach.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info cpljbuck....
Old 12-19-2012, 04:46 AM
Spike

Anyone been out this week? Any movement?
Old 12-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

I'm headed out tomorrow morning! I'll let you know what happens, however, at the rate I'm going this year I may already know what's going to happen. How's that for thinking positive?
Old 12-20-2012, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

Went out this morning. Saw one going in, about 20 yards from my stand. I have decided to rename my favorite spot from "Deer Central" to "A Dry Hole!" Ain't no oil there!! Tomorrow, if the weather is decent, I will move to another spot to finish out the year.

I don't mean to sound like a cry baby, I just want to finish filling out my tags! Now, what self respecting deer wouldn't want to help me out? I ask ya'?
Old 01-03-2013, 05:36 AM
Spike

Haven't been out in a long while. I did go out one day so my brother could hunt but I slept in the truck. Looks like I'll be back out in January and February.