Looking for advice on GPS unit >

Looking for advice on GPS unit

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Looking for advice on GPS unit

Old 09-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Spike

Default Looking for advice on GPS unit

I am looking,to get my first handheld GPS and really undecided on which to get? Hunt Green Swamp and wonder which models have had good success out there? Any advice? Leaning toward Garmin etrex 20.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

I use a etrex venture hc and it's great. I hunt Green swamp and Richloam. I mainly use it to get to my tree stand and back. A couple years ago I got out of the stand kinda late and watch pitch black. Was only a hundred yards from the truck but I would have never made it back without the Etrex.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

Had a Garmin etrex for a few years now & I loved it, but this year when exploring some new property in Dixie County my etrex pooped out on me in the middle of my hunt. Luckily, the sun was out so I reckoned my way back home & made it OK. No matter what you buy, be sure to have a compass as a back-up, because even with new batteries, you never know...
Old 09-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Very good point. And a flash light cuz my dumb ass can't see crap at night. It seems that the Deer like to come out 2 minutes before dark
Old 09-25-2012, 05:37 AM
Spike

Thanks for the advice. I got a good deal on an etrex 20. Goid idea about the compass. I always carry one as to how I have been navigating so far but never really trusted myself fully to go really deep in. Looking to take my hunting to the next level and get deep to where I can get away from people and hopefully have a great season.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

Garmin Etrex 20 it is a great price and very simple to use, I use it to mark my stand locations and it is super simple to use and comes with alot of cool features for hunters.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Depends on the hunter

If you hunt alone, go to new areas often, don't stay on the same back forty acres, it'll help in deciding which gps to get. The less expensive one can be handy to some hunters.

Missed going on an out of state hunt, but I'll have over five areas to hunt next year in a five day period. May see them; may not. But I'll have options.

The gps will help over the compass, especially on double backs to the area and finding specific areas again, where i wasn't familiar. It'll definitely cut some woods travel time. But I'll keep the compass; it doesn't run on batteries.

Like anything new, I'll run mine though it's paces, checking on items I could use. The walks around the park will be a good place to check what the gps can do. Never first on a hunt.

Last edited by Valentine; 11-10-2012 at 07:38 AM.