HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Greenswamp wma hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/369549-greenswamp-wma-hunters.html)

I AM THE WOODS 08-24-2012 07:00 PM

Greenswamp wma hunters

Well we are a month and a half out from Archery season, I'm ready to get out there despite havin the worst quota draws I have ever had, fortunately I got Greenswamp 1st and 2nd half general gun and GSW hog still hunt other than those everything else was "unsuccessful" includin a camp at Greenswamp for archery, hopefully I can get up there day before the season starts to try to get one of the first come first serve sites. Anybody done any scoutin in Greenswamp yet?

Woodsman88 08-24-2012 09:26 PM

Haven't made it out to the green swamp yet but I can imagine how wet it is out there, not to mention the skeeters!

greenswampman 08-27-2012 11:05 AM

it is wet up there went cpl months ago and was very wet

I AM THE WOODS 08-28-2012 12:25 PM

would ya say wetter than the past couple years?...i know they been gettin some good rain up that way....kinda hope it stays that way a while...sometimes wetter is better...especially for pushin big bucks out of flooded bayheads.

CamoCop 09-07-2012 05:49 AM

8 more days for us

I AM THE WOODS 09-12-2012 08:48 PM

Lucky for yall, exactly one month til archery starts in the swamp...not sucha bad thing though, was out practicin with my bow the other day n my arrowrest shattered, believe im gonna get me one of them whisker biscuits to replace it.

Woodsman88 09-12-2012 08:57 PM

Woods I would recommend the trophy ridge revolution. It's a full capture fall away rest and I am impressed with it so far. I used a whisker biscuit last year and was concerned that with a fall away rest that if I tilted my bow the arrow would fall out but that's not the case. The revolution holds the arrow no matter how you turn your bow and it is quiet too! Btw it is the same price as the whisker biscuit!

greenswampman 09-14-2012 01:43 PM

headed to the swamp n the morning to do a little scouting and get some freash air

I AM THE WOODS 09-17-2012 08:11 PM

I picked up the trophy ridge whisker biscuit on sale for $40 at dicks been shootin aluminum arrows with it and all in all impressed with it...gonna pick up some carbon arrows with blazer vanes, heard they shoot better with a bicuit.

I AM THE WOODS 09-17-2012 08:11 PM

How was it out there greenswampman?

greenswampman 09-18-2012 02:19 PM

was a good day n the woods kinda cool moring then warmed up up and turned muggy still wet though lol

I AM THE WOODS 09-19-2012 06:28 PM

cool deal...yea figured on it bein wet still...only a few more weeks to go...

greenswampman 09-20-2012 11:57 AM

yea cant wait either

daleintampa 09-20-2012 07:16 PM

Hey all. Didn't hunt last year but definitely doing some Hunting this year in Green swamp and possibly Richloam. Know both WMA's very well. Been living and Hunting here for my whole life. Sold my Steel climber to my cousin and bought me an Aluminum one. Got rid of the 30-30 and bought a Tikka T3 270 win. And making my own ammo. Terrain looks a little different from Satelite view. Very very excited about this up and coming Season.

greenswampman 09-21-2012 08:49 AM

cool deal dale only hunted richloam cpl times never really studied the place to much

daleintampa 09-21-2012 05:53 PM

Richloam can be good or bad. their allowed to run dogs so there is a lot of activity. can see lots of wildlife but you could also have a 4x4 come driving right in front of you. the good thing is if your in a quiet place, a Buck could come into your area by evading the dogs. its alomost impossible to get away from all that due to tons of roads that run thru there. I like Green swamp cause its so peaceful but when i get bored, I go next door. :)

Luv2KilFish 09-23-2012 06:11 PM

I went to green swamp today. It's very wet still. Snakes are everywhere. I almost stepped on a harmless water snake. Lucky it got my attention because 5 mins later I almost stepped on a cotton mouth. It never moved. It just curled back in an attacking positon and opened its mouth. I have a feeling that he won't be biting anyone any time soon though. Not more than a min later, my friend and I are walking down the road and a rattle snake is laying in the road. He was not agressive and just went off as we got close.

greenswampman 09-24-2012 04:42 PM

yea planning another trip out there for sat

daleintampa 09-24-2012 05:59 PM

its too bad its not open season on Gators out there cause every time i have been out there prior to season I see tons of small Gators

Woodsman88 09-24-2012 10:48 PM

Last year during archery I would see a little gator in almost every small water hole. Then cone gun season they go into hiding just like the deer and hogs.

I AM THE WOODS 09-25-2012 11:09 AM

I would like to go scoutin, but most of my spots are a long way from either gate...a little ways to go in the heat...reckon i will have to wait til the day prior to openin day...although i could scout some areas closer...hmmm??...

greenswampman 09-25-2012 12:57 PM

yea i ride a bike in

I AM THE WOODS 09-28-2012 09:47 AM

yea reckon that would be the best way...even if i had a bike my main areas would still be a heck of a ride...

I AM THE WOODS 09-28-2012 09:57 AM

so i been thinkin on openin day of archery where i will hunt...i have a spot in purty deep cover that has 4 or 5 deer trails goin through it...when i hunt it i usually hunt about 100 yds. out from where the deer trails are where it begins to open up...but from the clearing cant see the deer trails because of thick cover...should i go in deep and setup within 30 yds. of the deer trails n risk blowin my cover n spookin deer out of there...or play it safe n hunt the clear cut n try to get lucky seein one goin in or out?...both tactics have advantages n disadvantages...havin a hard time decidin...

daleintampa 10-04-2012 04:02 PM

Went in GS today. Pretty deep. I saw a Big Doe and two Hogs. A little wet but not as wet as I expected.

I AM THE WOODS 10-05-2012 10:30 AM

Are the bayheads filled up?

daleintampa 10-05-2012 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by I AM THE WOODS (Post 3987382)
Are the bayheads filled up?

Didn't walk into any bay heads but I would assume if you don't have waterproof boots or hip waters, your feet will get wet. I had sneakers on and was able to walk down some trails without getting too wet. But since I own a good pair of Snake Boots. They will be my first choice when hunting GS. :)

I AM THE WOODS 10-08-2012 08:02 AM

Yea im countin on gettin wet out there n defiinitely wearin snake boots...hopefully it wont be to hot out there this weekend.

greenswampman 10-08-2012 01:38 PM

the count down is on come on saturday

daleintampa 10-08-2012 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by I AM THE WOODS (Post 3983936)
so i been thinkin on openin day of archery where i will hunt...i have a spot in purty deep cover that has 4 or 5 deer trails goin through it...when i hunt it i usually hunt about 100 yds. out from where the deer trails are where it begins to open up...but from the clearing cant see the deer trails because of thick cover...should i go in deep and setup within 30 yds. of the deer trails n risk blowin my cover n spookin deer out of there...or play it safe n hunt the clear cut n try to get lucky seein one goin in or out?...both tactics have advantages n disadvantages...havin a hard time decidin...

I would go n deep and set up withing 30 yards. Your last choice in your post. That is if your still haven a hard time deciding.

daleintampa 10-08-2012 04:58 PM

I'm skipping Archery this year so y'all leave the big boys alone till I get there on Nov 17. :D

I AM THE WOODS 10-09-2012 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by greenswampman (Post 3988550)
the count down is on come on saturday

Yeah I think we are all ready to get out there...Im gonna be up there friday mornin try to get me a camp n finally do some scoutin.

I AM THE WOODS 10-09-2012 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by daleintampa (Post 3988614)
I'm skipping Archery this year so y'all leave the big boys alone till I get there on Nov 17. :D

Always seems the big boys know when gun season starts...lol

I AM THE WOODS 10-09-2012 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by daleintampa (Post 3988610)
I would go n deep and set up withing 30 yards. Your last choice in your post. That is if your still haven a hard time deciding.

Yeah im still tryin to decide...gonna make my decision when i go scoutin...see what kinda sign i can find...

Habo 10-10-2012 09:55 AM

I am a hunting Newbie got WMA for G/S 11/17/2012

Appreciate any help. Been reading some posts. I just got into huntin' this year, only rifles so far, got a hog in a canned hunt. If anyone wants to partner up for a scouting trip, I am up for it. I don't have snake boots. I have a handheld. I live in Tampa area. Willing to learn. Thanks.

I AM THE WOODS 10-10-2012 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Habo (Post 3989302)
Appreciate any help. Been reading some posts. I just got into huntin' this year, only rifles so far, got a hog in a canned hunt. If anyone wants to partner up for a scouting trip, I am up for it. I don't have snake boots. I have a handheld. I live in Tampa area. Willing to learn. Thanks.

If you are lookin to hunt the greenswamp i would suggest gettin snake boots...lotta cottonmouths n rattlers out there...as for advice find the deer n hog sign n hunt it...i have been told by some old timers that greenswamp is the hardest place in the state to hunt...ive hunted the swamp for 10 years...its tough huntin so be prepared for a challenge...

Habo 10-10-2012 01:13 PM

Thanks Woods. I'll pick up a pair this weekend. Any minimum boot length recommended? I am up for a challenge, but am definitely a hunting greenhorn. There's some WMA info/ regs I can't figure out from the myfwc website, mind if I pick your brain? Mostly about terminology and such. Maybe some tips to minimize newbie mistakes that piss off the old timers? I also got Awarded Cary for Feb 2013 its a rimfire ONLY WMA. Any comments are appreciated.

daleintampa 10-10-2012 02:48 PM

If their called snake boots. They come one lenth. Comes to just below yur knee. Dicks sells them. Ask your questions. We are cool. Or pm

I would add to what woods said. Hunting Public land period is more difficult than sitting on a food plot or over Bait on private property. But it's still free and fun.

Habo 10-11-2012 06:19 AM

Thanks DT. I am wondering what Bayheads is/are. Also does anyone know if you can use shot guns on a Rimfire only WMA? What about a Slug Barrel on a shot gun? I couldn't get answers on MyFWC. In the past I have only done a few hours of stalking and scouting hogs in the past, but just that, a TOTAL of a few hours. Found a few groups, but could not get in position for a clear shot. Then I did a dog hunt, BAM!! First Hog. I am a bit intimidated going to G/S, since it would be the first time on my own and I totally have no clue. I own a Summit Climber, can I use it there? Should I use it there?Please suggest where can I get maps. The MyFWC one is very basic(useless?).

daleintampa 10-11-2012 09:47 AM

Yes. You can use your climber and is the #1 choice for GS. A bay head or Cypress head is s clump of thick trees that have lots of shade and Wildlife will bed down or use these to hide in. If you go to google maps you can see them. You will see a roundish looking thick woods on satellite. Use your google maps and the GS WMA map together. You should try to get out there on Nov 16 to find out where you want to set up.