Greenswamp wma hunters >

Greenswamp wma hunters

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Greenswamp wma hunters

Old 01-09-2019, 11:19 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Tufrthnails
Sorry bud that's the nature of the beast especially on walk-in quota WMAs in FL. I know about two bucks that have been killed this year I was chasing one of them I have three years of history with. Don't let it get you too down. It only takes a few seconds to turn your season around. GS is a very hard WMA to figure out and other then dumb luck can take several years to start consistently seeing bucks. This year especially has been weird as the bucks have not been in areas I historically seen them.
What do you think is different for them this year?
Old 01-09-2019, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

I think it has a lot to do with the Hog-Dog season before Archery opens. They get kicked out and pressured earlier. Not sure if you guys noticed, but no does where killed this year during arch and it's not because no one was out there. I hunted a weekend in bow and just didn't see a deer, which is odd for me. (IF FWC IS READING THIS OPEN THE DANG BOW SEASON UP DURING THE WEEKDAYS) The only buck pics I had gotten before Dec 14th where at night. The 14th I got my first daylight pic, which makes sense to me with pre-rut starting to heat up around then. I think the amount of hogs in GS this year is a huge reason. They are live catching the sows and cutting their ears off so the dogs can't catch the breeders. Listen I'm all for everyone to include hog-dog guys to have a place to hunt, but it's a problem for deer hunters.

Another factor was earlier in this years season the water level was pretty low out there allowing them to disperse more and have more bedding ground. Now that the water levels are up a little higher I seeing more deer and catching more pics of deer in the areas I expect them to be travelling. So I'm not sure there is one simple reason they appear at least to me to be on a different pattern then in years past. I've hunted GS off and on for the last 22 years. I've seen a ton of change. Heck of a lot better FWC presence, the roads are night and day better, Campgrounds at least on the 471 side are insanely better, Total amount of game is vastly improved, Avg buck size greatly increased. So all things considered GS is way, way better to hunt now then it was 10-15 years ago. I went entire season never seeing a deer from the stand and shooting a few hogs a season to now it's very odd for me not to see a deer, hog, or turkey during a sit on stand.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:00 PM
Spike

Talking

Originally Posted by Tufrthnails
I think it has a lot to do with the Hog-Dog season before Archery opens. They get kicked out and pressured earlier. Not sure if you guys noticed, but no does where killed this year during arch and it's not because no one was out there. I hunted a weekend in bow and just didn't see a deer, which is odd for me. (IF FWC IS READING THIS OPEN THE DANG BOW SEASON UP DURING THE WEEKDAYS) The only buck pics I had gotten before Dec 14th where at night. The 14th I got my first daylight pic, which makes sense to me with pre-rut starting to heat up around then. I think the amount of hogs in GS this year is a huge reason. They are live catching the sows and cutting their ears off so the dogs can't catch the breeders. Listen I'm all for everyone to include hog-dog guys to have a place to hunt, but it's a problem for deer hunters.

Another factor was earlier in this years season the water level was pretty low out there allowing them to disperse more and have more bedding ground. Now that the water levels are up a little higher I seeing more deer and catching more pics of deer in the areas I expect them to be travelling. So I'm not sure there is one simple reason they appear at least to me to be on a different pattern then in years past. I've hunted GS off and on for the last 22 years. I've seen a ton of change. Heck of a lot better FWC presence, the roads are night and day better, Campgrounds at least on the 471 side are insanely better, Total amount of game is vastly improved, Avg buck size greatly increased. So all things considered GS is way, way better to hunt now then it was 10-15 years ago. I went entire season never seeing a deer from the stand and shooting a few hogs a season to now it's very odd for me not to see a deer, hog, or turkey during a sit on stand.
I don't understand why the dog season starts before all others. Archery should be first to open so the deer are not already underground after being chased around. I got no problem with the dog stuff (it is fun) but the rest of us are behind the 8 ball after that. Next question, i guess, is when would you move the dog/hog season to. My confusion on the area is where do the bucks hang out. Are they in the big cypress heads, small ones or all of the above? If u go in a head after them, how do you shoot thru all that crap? Should I where waders to get in them? Very tough place. I've just been setting up in pine strips between heads hoping something pops out. It all looks the same so I guess I need to be exceptionally lucky. Any thoughts or pointers?
Old 01-10-2019, 06:31 PM
Spike

What ever happened to Chuck7 and Iamthewoods?
Old 01-10-2019, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

The last that I spoke with Chuck, he was doing fine.

But not posting on the forum anymore.

You could attempt to pm him, he may reply if he gets an email notification of it

-Jake
Old 01-11-2019, 03:26 AM
Fork Horn

Anyone know the numbers on the boards? I forgot to write them down Monday, but it was like 20 bucks at rockridge, 23 bucks at 471, and a pile of hogs at both.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:10 AM
Banned

Default Best reply

Good question
Old 01-14-2019, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

I'll be back in there either Weds or Thurs depending on wind directions.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:58 PM
Spike

Default Waskley wabbit

Well had the boys and couldn't waste a day like today. Grab the dog and headed out to Croom to knock some rats out of the trees. Not too far in my girl Dixie had this guy pointed out for an easy shot. Awesome day spent with my little ones.
Attached Thumbnails Greenswamp wma hunters-image_20190119_105708_1547922343865.jpg  
Old 01-19-2019, 12:59 PM
Spike

Also while walking through we had to have seen 20 deer. Two decent bucks at that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.