Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Greenswamp wma hunters >

Greenswamp wma hunters

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Greenswamp wma hunters

Old 12-26-2018, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

What do you guys think of the new proposed hunting season bag limits. 3 bucks and 2 does. It will be a telecheck style. I'm still looking for reports of the Dec 19th meeting. Sounds like it is going up for final adoption in Feb.

You can read and comment on them in this survey to FWC:

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/20819c8

Last edited by Tufrthnails; 12-26-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Tufrthnails
What do you guys think of the new proposed hunting season bag limits. 3 bucks and 2 does. It will be a telecheck style. I'm still looking for reports of the Dec 19th meeting. Sounds like it is going up for final adoption in Feb.
I still have alot of questions about the proposals, which arent really proposals because the FWC doesnt really let the hunters decide. Anyways, im not sure how the 3/2 applies to public land hunters.... for example, if i hunt public land during bow season and shoot 3 bucks, then get drawn for a muzzle and a gun hunt on a wma.. does that mean i cant kill a buck. Also does that mean we can kill does on wma whenever we want without a doe tag lottery as long as its no more than 2 a year?? I get the proposed regs for private land owners but idk how itll work for us public guys. IMO i think it shud be 4 does / 2 bucks. Weve got way too many does.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by FlaBoy18

I still have alot of questions about the proposals, which arent really proposals because the FWC doesnt really let the hunters decide. Anyways, im not sure how the 3/2 applies to public land hunters.... for example, if i hunt public land during bow season and shoot 3 bucks, then get drawn for a muzzle and a gun hunt on a wma.. does that mean i cant kill a buck. Also does that mean we can kill does on wma whenever we want without a doe tag lottery as long as its no more than 2 a year?? I get the proposed regs for private land owners but idk how itll work for us public guys. IMO i think it shud be 4 does / 2 bucks. Weve got way too many does.
I completely agree on this point. I stated such in my replies to them in the survey. Yes once you kill 3 bucks your done killing bucks the same goes for does. I hunt KY as well and this is how it is. Does are per WMA regs and will remain the same so if you don't get drawn for antlerless permit Arch season on SOME wmas are your only way to kill your two does unless you have private access. That was per an FWC officer when I called to region HQ to get some answers. Officer I talked to was in complete agreement with me that the current system of Arch only does on some WMAs and no does on other WMAs is the main cause of our lopsided numbers. He did say that he expects this to be a fluid adjustment and that he believes the 2 does is a conservative approach and that as better data from the private lands combined with more data being reported from public lands will help to increase the bag limit on does. But that is only one officer's opinion/ comments.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

I completely agree on this point. I stated such in my replies to them in the survey. Yes once you kill 3 bucks your done killing bucks the same goes for does. I hunt KY as well and this is how it is. Does are per WMA regs and will remain the same so if you don't get drawn for antlerless permit Arch season on SOME wmas are your only way to kill your two does unless you have private access. That was per an FWC officer when I called to region HQ to get some answers. Officer I talked to was in complete agreement with me that the current system of Arch only does on some WMAs and no does on other WMAs is the main cause of our lopsided numbers. He did say that he expects this to be a fluid adjustment and that he believes the 2 does is a conservative approach and that as better data from the private lands combined with more data being reported from public lands will help to increase the bag limit on does. But that is only one officer's opinion/ comments.
do you hunt private land in KY? That state has been on my bucket list. Been looking into it for a few years now.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:39 PM
Spike

I get it and at this point it would be good for management plus its beyond me why we are just now talking about a reporting program. The part that stinks is for us who also have leases, on my lease the rule is 3 bucks/2 does so under the proposals once I fill my lease that I pay money for Im done. No more hunting deer on private or public land. I guess I could contribute effort in reducing the hog population. who knows
Old 12-26-2018, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

do you hunt private land in KY? That state has been on my bucket list. Been looking into it for a few years now.
Yes Private and Public. My family has farms up there and I hunt several WMAs near the farms. Ate my buck tag this year, but bagged 5 does so the freezer looks good. I honestly only hunt Florida Public, because I love to be in the woods. I pass a lot of young bucks and have for quite a few years, but I love the challenge of FL public that's not to say if a buck tickles my fancy I won't bag him just because he has a small rack I have just gotten where I love seeing bucks get older. Green swamp is a good example of what the antler restrictions has done for the buck age and size structure several 150#+ buck have been taken this season and there are some more good ones I've got on camera. If you are thinking about hitting KY up the public land is nothing like FL. Hunting pressure is minimal on the most pressured lands compared to FL if your willing to get away from the crop edges and do some leg work. Especially if you are willing to do it with a bow in your hand. There are a lot of opportunities to hunt KY public with a bow in your hands. My family generally does a week of rut hunting on the farms during first week of gun season and I go up a week early and stomp the public lands with my bow in my hands. Most of the western counties are now unlimited does so filling the freezer makes it worth the cost of the trip.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by truthinthematt
I get it and at this point it would be good for management plus its beyond me why we are just now talking about a reporting program. The part that stinks is for us who also have leases, on my lease the rule is 3 bucks/2 does so under the proposals once I fill my lease that I pay money for Im done. No more hunting deer on private or public land. I guess I could contribute effort in reducing the hog population. who knows
Yeah my neighbor isn't super happy about the numbers either he has a family farm in N FL and he generally kills 5 to 6 does a year and only takes bucks if they are 3.5 and older. He's worried his brothers are gonna start shooting much younger bucks if they can only kill 2 does.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:26 AM
Fork Horn

Yes Private and Public. My family has farms up there and I hunt several WMAs near the farms. Ate my buck tag this year, but bagged 5 does so the freezer looks good. I honestly only hunt Florida Public, because I love to be in the woods. I pass a lot of young bucks and have for quite a few years, but I love the challenge of FL public that's not to say if a buck tickles my fancy I won't bag him just because he has a small rack I have just gotten where I love seeing bucks get older. Green swamp is a good example of what the antler restrictions has done for the buck age and size structure several 150#+ buck have been taken this season and there are some more good ones I've got on camera. If you are thinking about hitting KY up the public land is nothing like FL. Hunting pressure is minimal on the most pressured lands compared to FL if your willing to get away from the crop edges and do some leg work. Especially if you are willing to do it with a bow in your hand. There are a lot of opportunities to hunt KY public with a bow in your hands. My family generally does a week of rut hunting on the farms during first week of gun season and I go up a week early and stomp the public lands with my bow in my hands. Most of the western counties are now unlimited does so filling the freezer makes it worth the cost of the trip.
yea in Ky ur only allowed 1 buck a season right?? And i am wanting to do a public bow hunt so that is good to know. I just have no clue where besides that western is where to focus on. The tags are over the counter from what ive read so u dont gotta get drawn for hunts
Old 12-27-2018, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

yea in Ky ur only allowed 1 buck a season right?? And i am wanting to do a public bow hunt so that is good to know. I just have no clue where besides that western is where to focus on. The tags are over the counter from what I've read so u don't gotta get drawn for hunts
Yes one buck. There are a some that are open early season and such no quota. There are some that have draws. Kinda like FL. The best ones are gonna take a few points to draw, but if it was me I would find the Bow-only WMAs and start there. The quality of bucks and overall density of deer compared to hunters is awesome.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

yea in Ky ur only allowed 1 buck a season right?? And i am wanting to do a public bow hunt so that is good to know. I just have no clue where besides that western is where to focus on. The tags are over the counter from what ive read so u dont gotta get drawn for hunts
Clear your PMs i'll send you a little info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.